Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM

How much is enough excersize???

I have two Chi/Pom mixes that weigh apprx eight pounds each (one is just under one is a little over) that I walk about a mile 5-7 days a week. Is this enough excercise for them? They don't play with toys. At least not when I am there, I've caught them tossing a stuffed animal or two when they are playing out on their patio(It's no longer my patio I just pay the mortgage ) and they wrestle with each other sometimes but not that much anymore. If its not what should I do?
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM

It's hard to say. Are they tired at home or do they still play and drive you nuts?
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM

They never drive me nuts (the cuteness always overrides everything anyway). I think they come home tired, they normally go into the crate when we come back unless I sit down, then its in my lap. They are not overweight or anything I feed them 1/2-3/4 cup of food a day (now that its cooler more like 2/3-3/4 cup) When I come home in the evening from work they do the excited circles for maybe a minute then they settle down. I am mainly concerned to make sure they are healthy. I've never had dogs before so I think I ask a lot of basic questions I should know the answer to, sorry.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM

If they're tired, and not too excitable (for no reason) in the house, they should be ok. You'll get more tuned into them as they age, and they'll tell you if they get tired more explicitly.
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM

My two small dogs pull me with excitment when we first start out on the walk and are full of beans but on the way back they are'nt as energetic - As Prin says when you get atuned to them you will be able to see when they have had enough exercise.
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

If they are tired when they come home then they are getting enough exercise in that outing , playtime with one another equals exercise as well.

Younger dogs will have more frequent bursts of energy, in most cases. I have a 9 year old that has no trouble keeping up to my 7 month old puppy, it is a great combo and keeps the pup from pestering the more sedate dogs or the cats