Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Folliculitis--warning: sort of graphic pics

Sunday morning, Ridge began to show some swelling and lumpiness on her muzzle--mostly along the bridge right behind the nose. I called the vet, who thought it was folliculitis and had us start her on some amoxicillin (we have a rather extensive collection of antibiotics on hand because we live so far from the vet and have so many dogs ), then we took her in yesterday morning. By the time we took her in, her follicles had begun weeping blood, and by the time she came home she looked even worse.

I took this pics after a warm compress this morning had removed much of the bright-red blood that weeps from the sores:

Name:  Folliculitis 1 1-9-08.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  Folliculitis 2 1-8-08.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  26.9 KB

You can't see it, but there's an open bloody patch about the size of a 50-cent piece down the right side of her muzzle across the whiskers, as well, and some non-bloody lumps along her lips and on her chin. We're hoping that the antibiotic will clear those up without them breaking open.

She's been switched to clavamox with compresses a few times a day to help draw the infection and we're hoping that she'll be better in a few days.

Meanwhile, though, does anyone have any suggestions on
  • How to make her more comfortable?
  • How to keep the other dogs from wanting to clean up her face

Poor baby. Believe it or not, though, she does look better than yesterday--her eyes are brighter, so we're hoping that means she's feeling better.

But no kissies on the muzzle for poor Ridge for a while... :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Half Way To Crazy

That looks sooo painful !!!:sad:

Poor Ridge I hope that it gets better soon..
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thanks, breeze... Ridge appreciates the good wishes

I have to keep making hazel sit down cuz she gets woozy looking at it...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Is there no topical treatment??

just the antibiotics and warm compresses??

Does it itch her??
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Doesn't seem to itch too bad, yet, but I'm worried about when it starts healing more.

No topicals--nothing to irritate the skin further or interfere with the draining, I guess. She seems to like the warm compresses.

Sigh...and now the Pack is milling about at the door! Guess I'll have to go run interference for Ridge so no one tries to play rough with her! Poor Ridgie....she really likes to play rough

Old January 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Half Way To Crazy

When it starts to heel more could you not put a topical cream to take away the itchies??

how long did the vet say it would take to start heeling??
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Poor Ridge, that looks so painful.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
How to keep the other dogs from wanting to clean up her face
dip her tail in peanut butter or bacon drippings? that'll keep the others away from her face at least... (just kidding of course!)

poor baby - hugs to her! Hope she's on the mend real soon!
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for poor Ridge. That looks very painful. I hope it heals quickly with the meds.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Remembering Lukka

Awwww, poor Ridge. It does look painful.
for a quick recovery for Ridge, and Hazel will be doing double duty to make up for all those missed muzzle kisses
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

that's what people must feel like when they get a cold sore. I don't get them but I imagine they are equally as uncomfortable.
no advise sorry.
anything I've ever done to comfort my dogs when they hurt never works.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
dip her tail in peanut butter or bacon drippings? that'll keep the others away from her face at least... ...
I like that idea

Quote:
Meanwhile, though, does anyone have any suggestions on
[*]How to keep the other dogs from wanting to clean up her face [/LIST]
Tether the rest of the pack to Dad and ask him to stay away from you and Ridge?

Big hugs to Ridge. Hope she heals quick and itchlessly .
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Oh, poor pooch, looks sore! Hope it clears up soon! It's hard on eveyrone when one of the pack is down and out....do you think the other dogs sense it, and that's why they want to clean it for her? to all!!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Garden nut

Awwww look at those gorgeous eyes!! Could stare into those eyes forever.

Poor Ridge... hope she gets better real fast.

I guess it's in a bad place to bandage isn't it? Or does that condition do better being able to "breathe?"

That kinda stuff doesn't bother me. Have played nurse and midwife for lots of animals through the years, wildlife, family pets and friends' pets. If I lived closer I would help ya so you wouldn't be so woozy.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
-

Oh poor baby ! :sad: Hazel , the only thing I can think of is putting a cone on her. :sad:

and to give her extra treats
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You guys are too funny.

Poor Ridge doesn't have much of a head, Frenchy. Anything that fits around her neck, she can pull over her head! We used it last night when she wanted to scratch and discovered this little flaw in her physique... It didn't keep the others from licking, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
dip her tail in peanut butter or bacon drippings? that'll keep the others away from her face at least... (just kidding of course!)

poor baby - hugs to her! Hope she's on the mend real soon!
This idea actually has merit! But she'd be defending her tail from everyone else so she could lick it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Tether the rest of the pack to Dad and ask him to stay away from you and Ridge?

Big hugs to Ridge. Hope she heals quick and itchlessly .
When he gets back from work, we're gonna try this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
It's hard on eveyrone when one of the pack is down and out....do you think the other dogs sense it, and that's why they want to clean it for her? to all!!!
Either that or they just like goop! Sigh... But they're getting a little better. I think the novelty has worn off. Or it might be that some of the lumps have broken open and now are oozing pus. My poor baby :sad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Awwww look at those gorgeous eyes!! Could stare into those eyes forever.

Poor Ridge... hope she gets better real fast.

I guess it's in a bad place to bandage isn't it? Or does that condition do better being able to "breathe?"

That kinda stuff doesn't bother me. Have played nurse and midwife for lots of animals through the years, wildlife, family pets and friends' pets. If I lived closer I would help ya so you wouldn't be so woozy.
Thanks, Ceara! Yep...better to let it ooze...gotta keep it open. But despite the drainage, it does seem to look a little better this afternoon--not as bloody and swollen. Drainage is good, I hope Macie had demodectic mange when she first came here but there was never anything as bad as this...

Old January 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh you poor baby Ridge! That looks ouchy! I too hope it heals up quickly...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
-

Awwwww....poor Ridge. :sad: I just want to reach out and cuddle her.

Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery.

And, a big bunch of fairy dust....

Old January 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Good lord that looks awful! Poor Ridge, I bet those hot compresses feel fantastic.

How does one get folliculitis? Bacteria somehow gets into the hair follicle?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Hazel,look at those beautiful help-me-eyes:sad:I am glad it looks better already,you can still give her lots of cuddles and kisses(on top of her head)hoping it's all gone soon
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, everyone. I think she's a tiny bit better tonight. She seems to be drying up some and the infection doesn't appear to be spreading!

She's enjoying all the attention. She's getting lots of kissies on the back of her head. As long as she gets them, she's not too fussy about where we plant them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Good lord that looks awful! Poor Ridge, I bet those hot compresses feel fantastic.

How does one get folliculitis? Bacteria somehow gets into the hair follicle?
Yep, that's exactly right. The follicles got irritated when she rubbed her nose while in her crate one day a few months ago and a few got infected on top of her nose. The infection drained twice--once two weeks ago and then again last Saturday--and then it spread into the skin and just took off. By Sunday morning, I could see the hair over a few square cms looked different--sort of standing on end--and the swelling had started and the skin was darker in color. The bleeding started Monday morning. I can't believe how fast it all happened!

Thank Dog it seems to have improved some today

Old January 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. I think she's a tiny bit better tonight. She seems to be drying up some and the infection doesn't appear to be spreading!
I'm glad it's drying a bit , so she's not licking anymore ?
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I got back from my meeting and her nose was a mass of blood. :sad: It's worse again--the top split open and drained and the bumps along her lips and on her chin are draining now, too. I suppose that's good-- that it's getting rid of the infection--but it's scary.

This is how she looks now since I cleaned her up some with a compress.

Name:  Folliculitis 3 1-8-08 p.m..jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  Folliculitis 4 1-8-08 p.m..jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  Folliculitis 6 1-8-08 p.m..jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  27.0 KB

Tomorrow I'm going to call the vet and see what they'd recommend for pain meds. Much as I hate to abuse her poor tummy with something above and beyond the antibiotic, this has got to really hurt! She doesn't seem to be whiny or pacing or showing discomfort, but don't you think that must be painful? :sad:

Old January 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM
-

OOOOH NOOOO....poor Ridge. :sad:

Quote:
Nasal pyoderma is characterized by painful swelling of the tissue on top of the nose, erosion of the skin, ulceration and crusting. Antibiotics and wet soaks are appropriate therapy.
The above quote is from this website:

http://devinefarm.net/rp/rpskin.htm
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Senior Contributor

OK Hazel, I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't do this but....it sure looks like you duct taped poor Ridge's feet to the floor to take those pictures!

Ugh, i'm wracking my brain for some crumb of knowledge that might help but i'm not finding much more than cobwebs.:sad:
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've got to take my little girl to bed. She's finally stopped dripping for a while. :sad: thanks for the site, rainbow. I'll be talking to the vet tomorrow and see if we can get some pain meds, too...

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The duct tape is on the inside of the DEC (dreaded elizabethan collar) that we finally had to resort to. She's been pawing at her owies... The duct tape pads the seams so she doesn't rub her face even rawer.

thanks for the laugh, otter...hazel needed that!

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I know.... I just couldn't resist pointing out what it LOOKED like

I sure hope the vet can help. Maybe you need something for your pain too. It must be heartbreaking to see her like that.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM
-

I agree....it's heartbreaking for me to see her like that. :sad:

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
OK Hazel, I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't do this but....it sure looks like you duct taped poor Ridge's feet to the floor to take those pictures!
That's exactly what I thought .

More and that she gets better really, really soon.