Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old September 18th, 2011, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Still working on July pics Just found this little sweetheart It's a red-eyed vireo born this spring.

Name:  Red-eyed vireo, immature 7-11-11 A.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  60.2 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A black-and-white warbler fem I pished out of the trees along the road in July:

Name:  Black-and-white warbler 7-11-11 A.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  82.7 KB

And another shot of the immature red-eyed vireo:

Name:  Red-eyed vireo, immature 7-11-11 C.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  60.3 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Well you raise a good point. Would it be completley ill advised to just toss a cup of seed out by the birdbath every morning? I would hate to spend money on feeders, just to have the squireels muck em up. husband and ex wife had a feeder up at some point, and hubs said feeder got mucked up by the mutant squirells.

Last edited by renegaderuby; September 18th, 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: deleated and added to next post
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Check to see if your community has an ordinance against ground feeding--some areas discourage it to minimize rodent problems. But if there isn't one, feeding on the ground or from a ground feeder is a great way to keep squirrels off your bird feeders.

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Thanks. I dont think our area would have an issue. we have a few feild mice though...so that raises a guestion if we should do it. Although "trooper" has cut the feild mice that dare enter this area down QUITE A BIT. We feed him...but he's still a good mouser and "moler". (removes our moles if he can get to em).
I feel bad for the little fellows, but when they are tearing up your yard, or the mice get in the house. ICK! so...hunt away trooper kitty!

PS: love the pics...keep em coming. also..have you ever seen a bird that looks like a oreole, but has more of a orange tint to the BOTTOM half of his body, but still the normal yellow and black across his top (like normal oreole's). Could he be a cross breed? I saw one one day, and he litterally looked like someone took an orange highlighter to the BOTTOM half of his body, but forgot to color his top half. (hope that makes sense). I've only seen just the yellow and black version..so he was quite "handsome" to me.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Depending on where you are in TX, you could be seeing any of 5 species of orioles, some of them yellower than others--so yes, it could be a hybrid, but more likely it's a molting bird and it'll look different once the feather change is done. We commonly get the Baltimore orioles here, with an occasional Orchard oriole thrown in as a pleasant surprise.

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Well, he didnt look like "molt" ...was all shiny and smooth. BUT..you could be right. I dont know exactly what he was (cross, or just one i've never seen before)..but he was absolutly breath taking . He was trying to get some sugar water out of the hum feeder...but realised it was empty at the time and left. I never saw him again.
I guess we offended him. LOL
Nah, more than likely he was on his way somewhere, stopped for a drink ..and since it was empty kept going.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

Smile Introducing Todd!

I've had ample opportunity all summer long to take pictures of our hummer who we named Todd and of all times, I captured a couple shots today. It was a cold, drizzly rainy, fall day/weekend and while filling the seed feeder, Todd and I had a close encounter.

He (or she) hasn't had any desire to leave his post and am wonderiging if I should take down the feeder to force him (or her) to leave or keep it up?

Name:  IMG_1077.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1078.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  86.4 KB

He does look pretty chunky thought?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
You can call me DOG!

New family of Cardinals moved in. It's taken almost a year but they're like clock work. Every evening at 7:00 p.m., male & female tend to the seed feeder. Was able to capture a couple snaps of the male the other night.

Name:  IMG_1071.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1074.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  87.2 KB

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Very cool, DOG!!!!

As for the nectar--I'd leave it out. They will move on. Our last hummer had us worried that he was hanging around too long, but he headed out two days ago. So despite it being a late migration this year, Mother Nature takes care of her own.

The rule of thumb is to leave it up for two weeks past the time you last see a hummer. That way, if there are stragglers coming through, they'll have food available even if you don't see them. And two weeks should be ample time to get all the stragglers through...

No hummer shots right now, but I caught a few of this blue-headed vireo a few days ago:

Name:  Blue-headed vireo 9-30-11 E.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  Blue-headed vireo 9-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  65.0 KB

"Wha' chyoo lookin' at?!"

Name:  Blue-headed vireo 9-30-11 B.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  63.1 KB

Actually, it was probably more like "Why you makin' such a racket, Hooman?" cuz I was pishing at him.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And yesterday, this little ruby-crowned kinglet came down wondering the same thing:

Name:  Ruby-crowned kinglet 10-1-11 B.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  79.1 KB

Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So did this little blue-winged warbler fem back in July:

Name:  Blue-winged warbler fem 7-11-11 B.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  Blue-winged warbler fem 7-11-11 D.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  64.3 KB

Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As for the nectar--I'd leave it out. They will move on. Our last hummer had us worried that he was hanging around too long, but he headed out two days ago. So despite it being a late migration this year, Mother Nature takes care of her own.

So if you saw your last hummer two days ago, are you still leaving a feeder out for 2 more weeks?

The rule of thumb is to leave it up for two weeks past the time you last see a hummer. That way, if there are stragglers coming through, they'll have food available even if you don't see them. And two weeks should be ample time to get all the stragglers through...

No hummer shots right now, but I caught a few of this blue-headed vireo a few days ago:

Attachment 75851

Attachment 75852

Attachment 75853

Actually, it was probably more like "Why you makin' such a racket, Hooman?" cuz I was pishing at him.
Beautiful captions Hazel. Nice to see you catching up on summer pictures.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ya, tough to be a little behind, eh? But I should be finished with July soon.

And yes, I'll be leaving the nectar feeder up another 12 days or so, just in case. Probably end up having to make more nectar before I take it down.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

I think I'd much prefer a "little behind" rather than running around in circles!

Nectar jug has been cleaned and stored for the winter however; I'll keep a close eye on Todd. He seems to be very late this year for South Western Ontario but am welcoming the new Cardinal family.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM

Hazel, I love the new bird picks.
Dee-O-Gee, your hummer is very cute.
I have some (blurry) pics of a belted kingfisher that I saw last week that I'm attaching because I don't think anyone has added any pics of one yet, and a better picture of an egret who was waiting out the rain.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Love that egret shot!!! So stately and dignified despite getting drenched. Gotta admire that in any creature.... The Pack so does not have that talent for grace under pressure...or at least under rain!

Those are pretty good of the kingfisher, too--they're hard to sneak up on and move fast! Yours are much better than any I've ever gotten!

Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Just had a peek at all the pics,love them all..I really love looking at bird-pics
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG I love this thread too CHico!

Hazel have you ever thought of putting a calendar together? I just an so amazed at the photos and the quality....it is truly awesome work!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
You can call me DOG!

I have to concur with Chico2 and love looking in on TJTwitter.

ownedbycats; your Egret is absolutely stunning despite the weather. I think that's the first time I've ever seen a Kingfisher as well.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nope...never thought about trying to put a calendar together. But thx.

Old October 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Attachment 75853
Way too funny!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I couldn't tell if my pishing translated into something insulting or nonsensical, or if the bird just thought I was having a bad hair day.

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few more from October. It's only the 6th and I'm already 3 and a half days behind with pics... And I haven't finished July, August and September yet, either!

Oh, well....

Anyway, here's...

...an American goldfinch...
Name:  American goldfinch 10-1-11 B.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  50.9 KB

...a Hermit thrush...
Name:  Hermit thrush 10-3-11 A.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  78.9 KB

...and a Swainson's thrush:
Name:  Swainson's thrush 10-3-11 B.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  82.8 KB

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A myrtle (yellow-rumped) warbler...
Name:  Myrtle warbler 10-2-11 D.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  75.1 KB

...a white-throated sparrow...
Name:  White-throated sparrow 10-2-11 F.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  69.7 KB

...and a tricky fox sparrow lurking deep in the sumac:
Name:  Fox sparrow 10-3-11 A.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  73.7 KB

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A hatch-year red-eyed vireo (you can tell it was born this year cuz the iris is still brown):
Name:  Red-eyed vireo 10-2-11 E.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  68.8 KB

And finally (for now) a slate-colored junco:
Name:  Slate-colored junco 10-2-11 A.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  105.8 KB

Old October 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Hey dog/ hazel, we've got a 'straggler" thats rufusing to leave too. he only seems to come in the morning, but just recently learned the lady across the road has a hummer feeder out to. So that may be "home" to him and we may just be the "snack" across the road. I'm leaving the feeder out a little while longer...but my other hummers left about a week ago. I've deemed him "peter". dont know why.
Maybe they hand around a little longer because they want to fatten up before they go, and they possibly were the ones "run off" by the larger agressive ones. Just a thought.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ours have been gone for about 10 days now. In a couple more days I'll be taking down the nectar feeder and the hummer season will be officially over till next May. As much work as they are, we sure do miss the little blighters when they're gone!

A few more migrating birds from early October:

Another yellow-rumped (myrtle) warbler:
Name:  Myrtle warbler 10-3-11 P1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  55.5 KB

Eastern towhee:
Name:  Eastern towhee 10-3-11 A.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  76.4 KB

Chipping sparrow:
Name:  Chipping sparrow 10-5-11 A.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  57.4 KB

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Two mystery warblers that we think we might have finally ID'd.

We think this first one is a first fall blackpoll warbler, looking totally unlike the spring adults:
Name:  Blackpoll warbler, first fall 10-3-11 A.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  80.3 KB

The white eye stripe threw me on this one, but we're pretty confident (by the undertail covert and tail projection pattern) that it's a first fall orange-crowned warbler.
Name:  Orange-crowned warbler, first fall 10-5-11 B.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  67.0 KB

I've also learned this year that dogwood berries taste yummy to more than just robins and catbirds. I've seen warblers, vireos, downy woodpeckers and even white-throated sparrows eating them:
Name:  White-throated sparrow in the dogwood 10-5-11 C.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  102.0 KB

Old October 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Hazel, I bugged poor growler with pictures again. LOL (everyone please give a round of applause for growler for putting up with me)
I have two birds, that I have no idea what they are. I think one may be a waxwing, and the other i have NO CLUE as I've never seen it before. My hubs snapped both these pics...so credit goes to him on how pretty they are. I was hoping you could Id them for me. If nothing else they are very pretty and i'd like to show off what we have visitng our pair trees. (one was while it was in bloom last spring), the newer one (with just berries) was fallish. Growler was emailed the pics...so sooner or later they'll be on here.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  NATURE%20(24).JPG
Views: 119
Size:  36.5 KB

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; October 11th, 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Attaching bird pics for renegaderuby