Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2013, 08:17 PM

my dogs strange behaviour

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum so please feel free to let me know if I'm posting in the wrong area.

About a week ago my dog came down with a bad case of diarrhea. sorry for the detailed description but it was very watery with mucus and after about 4-5 days I began to see blood. She literally had to go outside every hour for 4 days until I brought her to the vet.
The vet said it may be colitis and gave her special food with some meds called tylocine. she's been off her meds now for about 4 days and her diarrhea seemed to have cleared up. Yay BUT her behaviour now seems off.
-she's been eating a lot and drinking a lot and tends to wander around the house licking and searching for something? Food maybe? Even though she has access to her dry food all the time. Am I just being paranoid? Could this be side effects from the meds? Although she no longer has diarrhea she still seems to be pooping 3 or 4 times a day which is more than normal for her. Any help or advice?
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes with these stomach bugs, they need to taper off the Tylan/tylosin as you build up their gut.

Right now I would try some probiotics, something that contains acidophilous, bifidus, and bulgaricus from the health food store, and see if that helps. The licking is often nausea or acid reflux, and then they "seek" for something that makes their stomach feel better. Things like l-glutamine and slippery elm bark are also often used to help the gut repair.
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Sometimes with these stomach bugs, they need to taper off the Tylan/tylosin as you build up their gut.

Right now I would try some probiotics, something that contains acidophilous, bifidus, and bulgaricus from the health food store, and see if that helps. The licking is often nausea or acid reflux, and then they "seek" for something that makes their stomach feel better. Things like l-glutamine and slippery elm bark are also often used to help the gut repair.
Do you think the dog may have a yeast infection from the tylosin that also making him lick a lot? The probiotics would help if is has a yeast infection.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks. So what are a few things I can look for at the health food store to help sooth her stomach and won't cause diarrhea again? Would I find the elm bark there?
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM

What would be a good probiotic?
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I think is always a potential issue with using antibiotics! However, if the dog is licking - the air, lips, etc., I am guessing their is general stomach upset. My boy would lick, but his favorite would be to sit on the couch and lick the arm (leather).

Jen, yes, probiotics should help and not cause diarrhea. If you think your dog might be sensitive to dairy, you might try a dairy free version. There are dog versions (I use this here sometimes too: http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics-for-pets.html ), but generally the "people ones" work well, and are cheaper.

The health food store should also have slippery elm bark too.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_272 View Post
What would be a good probiotic?
My girl seems to be sensitive to things, so I am using this one, which is more expensive than most: http://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-fl...5-billion.html , and I'm using also using the one I linked above.

With my old girl, I used to use Solaray's Multidophilous 12 with success: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-mult...ian-capsules-1 as well as, from Costco: http://phillipsrelief.com/products/c...probiotic-caps
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:36 PM

She's not usually sensitive to foods until of course this diarrhea started. She loves to lick anyway that's just who she is. But to be licking the floors and windows and wandering around is abnormal for her. Would a probiotic yogurt be okay for dogs? I know it works for humans.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
My girl seems to be sensitive to things, so I am using this one, which is more expensive than most: http://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-fl...5-billion.html , and I'm using also using the one I linked above.

With my old girl, I used to use Solaray's Multidophilous 12 with success: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-mult...ian-capsules-1 as well as, from Costco: http://phillipsrelief.com/products/c...probiotic-caps
Okay so an actual supplement. Perfect I'll look into that. Thanks
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_272 View Post
Would a probiotic yogurt be okay for dogs? I know it works for humans.
Any plain yogurt without sweeteners (artificial or natural) and with active cultures would be okay--it's a very mild probiotic, though, and as MaxaLisa mentions, if your dog is sensitive to dairy, a people probiotic in capsule or granular form can be very effective.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM

You say the vet gave you food as well. I would check its ingredients.

Often the foods vets prescribe are loaded with corn, wheat, gluten and by-products. Definitely lacking in nutrition and hard to digest.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Yes. The vet gave her a wet food that is suppose to be easy on the stomach. I think it was a high energy dog food of some sort. It's all gone now so unfortunately I can't check the ingredients. I called the vet today and he said she should be tested for liver problems? I think I will giver her a few days and watch her closely. I'm thinking with inflammation of the colon it might take time for her to get back normal if not I will bring her for a blood test.