Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:35 AM

red blotches on belly and arms

My pup, coda, went to the vet for his rabies shot about a month ago. Back then he had a small rash that, honestly, looked like it came from his bed. We replaced his bed with a new one in hopes that the rash would stop. It stopped for a month. The vet didn't mention anything about his rash while we were there.
Recently, a couple days ago I gave him a bath with whiff shampoo and these rashes got SO much worse. I'm taking him to the vet on Monday but I'm still concerned. He's not tired, he doesn't itch them, but he's losing an unusual amount of hair. I am extremely concerned and am wondering if someone has come accross this and if there's anything I can do to make him feel a little more comfortable until I can take him to the vet, because I'm sure these hurt him.
Here aare what I'm seeing invade anyone has experience with it:
Big, red, open sores and hair loss.
They scab up fairly quick, then go away, but always manage to come back.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codalove View Post
My pup, coda, went to the vet for his rabies shot about a month ago. Back then he had a small rash that, honestly, looked like it came from his bed. We replaced his bed with a new one in hopes that the rash would stop. It stopped for a month. The vet didn't mention anything about his rash while we were there.
Recently, a couple days ago I gave him a bath with whiff shampoo and these rashes got SO much worse. I'm taking him to the vet on Monday but I'm still concerned. He's not tired, he doesn't itch them, but he's losing an unusual amount of hair. I am extremely concerned and am wondering if someone has come accross this and if there's anything I can do to make him feel a little more comfortable until I can take him to the vet, because I'm sure these hurt him.
Here aare what I'm seeing invade anyone has experience with it:
Big, red, open sores and hair loss.
They scab up fairly quick, then go away, but always manage to come back.
If the rash got worst after washing him with whiff shampoo you should stop using the shampoo right away. You dog could be very allergic to the
whiff shampoo. You should read the label and see what the is in it. I brought my dog a natural flea collar from a health food food , and within half a hour I was getting a headache. I checked the box and saw that one of the ingredients was pennyroyal oil and looked it up on line and found it can cause headaches and that it can be harmful to dogs. It is shocking that something made for pets would have harmful ingredients in but it does happen. I know of a puppy that became blind because the dog shampoo got into it eyes.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor puppy!

Make sure they do a scraping on Monday to rule out demodectic mange. Our Macie arrived with a mild case of demodectic mange--it's not too unusual in pups or dogs that are stressed (Macie was 18 months old, but had been in a rescue so she'd experienced a lot of changes in a short period of time). Macie had reddened areas with hair loss. She never got large open sores, though. We caught Macie's mange in time that we could treat it topically--but sometimes demodectic mange needs stronger treatments like dips or ivermectin.

Of course it could be something entirely different. Good luck at the vet tomorrow! Keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."