Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:49 AM

Hi Kyra,

I have a Staffordshire Terrier (your dog's "cousin") with very similar sounding skin issues. I have tried a lot of things too, but not nearly as much as you have or for nearly as long. With my dog Roxy, I have found diluted Apple Cider Vinegar sprays twice a day really help with the rash. We originally treated Roxy for mange with shampoo, Revolution, and antibiotics last October even though we couldn't find any mites on scraping (didn't find anything unusual). This completely fixed the skin issues, but once off the antibiotics the rash came back. After that I suspected food allergies, so switched the foods around a few times. She seemed to have bad reactions to some foods (Orijen/Acana), and not so bad with other foods (Iams of all things). Fish is highly suspected as an allergy. I tried environmental changes like shampoos, laundry soap (tried plain washing soda among others), changed bedding materials...environmental things didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

I started spraying Roxy (2 months ago?) with the ACV solution twice a day and was able to eliminate the rash from Roxy's body, armpits, and belly. So, yeast infection? Bacterial infection? Allergies? Topical ACV can help with all of that so it doesn't help to identify the problem, but it does help with the symptoms! She just has redness between her toes now which I can keep under decent control with once daily spraying. For now, I'm feeding her Acana Wild Prairie grain-free food that she appears to be mildly allergic/sensitive to (possibly the fish content?). I have been wondering if Roxy's system would learn to tolerate the food as time goes on if I am able to control her reaction to just a mild reaction. Maybe wishful thinking. For now, I'm keeping her on it at least until I can flush her system of all the other things that have been bothering her. I'm considering other diet options now, trying to pick the next step.

Omega 3 is a natural anti-inflammatory and also significantly helps to increase immunity. The best way to supplement Omega 3 is wild fish/salmon oil of good quality. Find something that specifically requires refrigeration or is in capsules otherwise it is likely fairly rancid even before it is opened (gotta love the dog food market). I find human fish oils in capsules to be cost effective and high quality. Roxy seems to have issues with fish/salmon so I am unable to use these oils for her (although I haven't tried since I started the ACV, so I should try the fish oil again). Flax oil can also be used, but doesn't work as well for dogs. I started Roxy on Platinum Performance which is a broad-spectrum supplement providing high omega 3 (flax), protein, vitamins, and minerals. This product is well tolerated by Roxy and is quite reasonably priced. I noticed I had to cut down Roxy's food a bit when I started the PP, so I imagine that it would probably help with your dog's weight. There is only one Canadian distributor, Summit Performance Products. www.summitpp.ca

I had a dog in the past that couldn't maintain weight on a raw diet. I think it was the lack of carbohydrates to tell you the truth. A simple diet that is also cost effective and easy to make that you could try is 1/3 meat (cooked, raw, partially cooked doesn't matter), 1/3 frozen mixed veggies (beware of corn though...may or may not be tolerated), 1/3 brown rice. Add to that a well rounded supplement like Platinum Performance and you are golden. Mix it all up in a batch, put into serving-size portions in little freezer bags. Pull a baggie each day to thaw, add the Platinum Performance and voila. It is simple, easy, has limited ingredients, and is still nutritious.

I find keeping things simple helps big time! Not only does it help the pocket book, it helps with peace of mind, and it also helps to differentiate which foods/supplements/topical stuff are helping and which are not.

Here is Roxy's story if you care to read it all. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78956

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM

hi LovNKyra
hows your baby now....?

I never faced such situation so can not recommend and suggest anything
but I will say and advise you to consult another vet, in fact 2-3 vet if you ae so insisted on using Ivermectin

because if your vet has stopped you using this, then he/she must have some reason and of course knows better than you... but still his words are not the last and that's why consult some other vet...

and at least make sue that there is no side effect of Ivermectin, before using it, because on wrong step can cause you feel sorry for life time

Best of Luck
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Blame not the breed!

It's been a beautiful week!

No more scratching, no more chewing, No more sores, no more redness, no more dirty ears. Just regular dog licking/scratching behavior, and a much much much more happier Kyra. I can now walk upstairs, fix myself a drink, pop a bag of popcorn, and walk back downstairs to a beautiful calm Kyra. I can now sleep a full night, and wake up to a regularly active healthy Kyra. I'm sooooo happy that I spend most of this new free time watching a rare regular Kyra being a regular dog. It seems so new that it makes me smile for hours. All this from a yeast infection? How could a vet miss this?

For anyone else suffering, this is what I've been doing...

2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar on top of Orijen red meat only grain free kibble
Regular Yeast treatment topical cream for humans before bed each night.
Bathing once every 2 days with Sebazole shampoo (leave on for 5 to 10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly)
I did have to have a custom jumpsuit made for her to prevent scratching during the nights (1 baby one piece sleeper extended in the middle) and also had her wear a cone to keep her from chewing or licking. This was for about 2 weeks.

So far it's been 4 beautiful days for both of us!

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely amazing!

I have been holding my breath, waiting for an update, hoping that she was continuing to improve.

Kudos to the both of you, a tale and trials of love and perseverance. I cannot express how relieved I am for the both of you, I know how HUGE this is!

Continued good wishes that this is truly the begininning of the end, FOREVER!

Keep us posted - I love the improvement seen on the pics!
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:56 PM

I am so happy that you are finally getting some relief in your battle! Good job!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Blame not the breed!

Had a tiny relapse. When I said to use just regular human yeast treatment cream I was wrong. After about a week it began to get crazy again. Switched back to Nizoral, everything is now back to normal, and even better now.

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad you figured out how to get her back on track. She is looking amazing! So very happy for you guys
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Looks to me like it was mange. It takes 6-8 weeks to rid a dog of mange. My puppy had that just after getting over parvo virus. Benzoyl peroxide shampoo for dogs is a shampoo that has anti-bacterial, keratolytic, anti-pruritic, and de-greasing functions. It can be purchased over the counter or through your veterinarian. In addition to its bacteria-fighting and drying qualities, benzyl peroxide shampoo flushes hair follicles. This keeps the hair follicles from getting infected and worsening a skin infection. Follicular infections can cause additional skin irritation and worsen the dog's condition.
This type of shampoo is useful in treating skin conditions like mange, hot spots, and lesions. It works really well. You have to get the dog in the bath, wet her and they apply the shampoo and leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse. Also, I know she is getting better, but Ivomec, is what I used to treat my dog with mange and it takes at least 6 weeks. Your vet is right, ALL dogs have mites on them but their immune systems keeps them in check, when a dogs immune system is compromised this is when the mites can get out of control. Glad to hear she is feeling better and everything is under control

Last edited by Kasianni; May 6th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually, by reading the history and response, sounds all fungal and yeasty to me. If it were mange, she should have responded to the ivermectin. Also, the response to the different yeast treatment cremes is a pretty powerful clue.

I wonder, looking at the ingredients of the creme that didn't work and the one that did, if a person could figured out if this were a specific strain that is particularly stubborn. That seems to be the difference in the cremes, the different meds being able to get at the different types of fungus (fungii???).
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Blame not the breed!

Thought I should post in an update. Kyra is 99.9% cured. No more chewing, no more sores, no more hair loss, and nearly all the hair is now back. Two days ago I left her at home unsupervised for 2 hours for the first time. Came back to an excited yet unmarked, and non bloodied sweetie pie! So proud of her, and myself. Currently she has returned to regular doggie kibble as the expensive stuff was doing nothing to help with the problems, and was making her very fat. All she gets now is a bath with regular doggie shampoo every 2 days to get rid of the oily residue left over from the cream. That cream for anyone else who needs help is called Taro-Clobetasol, and is used for yeast infections in adults. Hope this helps somebody facing the same issues as I had.

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's looking lovely!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww, she looks great, and so happy.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovNKyra View Post
Thought I should post in an update. Kyra is 99.9% cured. No more chewing, no more sores, no more hair loss, and nearly all the hair is now back. Two days ago I left her at home unsupervised for 2 hours for the first time. Came back to an excited yet unmarked, and non bloodied sweetie pie! So proud of her, and myself. Currently she has returned to regular doggie kibble as the expensive stuff was doing nothing to help with the problems, and was making her very fat. All she gets now is a bath with regular doggie shampoo every 2 days to get rid of the oily residue left over from the cream. That cream for anyone else who needs help is called Taro-Clobetasol, and is used for yeast infections in adults. Hope this helps somebody facing the same issues as I had.
This is HUGE. I am so very happy for the both of you - you've been to the depths of despair and back, what a journey, very great news!
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Blame not the breed!

Seasons Greetings from a healthy happy Kyra!!

Old December 28th, 2012, 11:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw!! Lookin' beautiful, Kyra!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Senior Contributor

So happy to see that Kyra continues to thrive thanks to your perseverence. Happy New Year.
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I love this, so glad to see her so well! Hears to continuing health in the new year!
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Blame not the breed!

Thanks guys! I really just want others to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and with perseverance you will make a difference in your pets lives! NEVER GIVE UP! Also, for anyone reading this who is suffering with what they think may be the same issues as mine, feel free to pm me with any questions you may have. I would love to help in anyway I can! Thanks guys, I couldn't have done it without the support of these forums. Happy Holidays!
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:43 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Happy Holidays to you and your beautiful girl.I just read this whole thread. your a wonderful mom to your furbaby and not giving up.
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:33 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I just read it too!! Wow what a battle you two had but I would say she is definately worth it! Have a great New Years!
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Blame not the breed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Happy Holidays to you and your beautiful girl.I just read this whole thread. your a wonderful mom to your furbaby and not giving up.
Daddy actually.
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovNKyra View Post
Daddy actually.
My bad..