Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Very Urgent- Blood in Urine

Hello all,
Our 7 month female dog had a spay surgery 5 days ago. She stayed at the hospital overnight and we picked her up the next day.
Ever since we brought her home she pees blood and can't control herself - trying to pee every 20-30 yards when we're outside, peeing at home (she never did this since she was 2 weeks with us).
The vets prescribed baytril 50mg, twice a day. She's been on this AB for 4 days now. I have to admit that we see some improvement, but she stiil has a blood in the urine and completely out of control of her bladder...
She eats and drinks normally, has a normal stool, but we're really concerned about her.
I thought the AB would work faster than this, and we're really surprized to see blood in the urine after 4 days...
Maybe we should change the AB or continue for another week or so with baytril?
Another concern is maybe we're not treating the right thing and it has nothing to do with UTI...
The vet keeps telling us that he's not sure what it is. he's never seen things like this and there shouldn't be any complications like this with this surgery.
We're kind of frustrated with this, don't really know what to do. It should have been a fairly simple surgery, we didn't realize it would get so complicated...
Any advise is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, nataly1!

If your vet can't figure it out, I'd be quick to get a second opinion from a different vet. She shouldn't have blood in the urine at any point from a spay. Is her incision healing on schedule?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM

If she held her urine post surgery a UTI could make sense.

Do not take her off of the antibiotic! If she does have a UTI and you took her off only to put her back on it, or a different antibiotic, you would be risking antibiotic resistance. If you want to confirm a UTI, have a urine analysis done and/or culture and sensitivity test.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I would definitely get a second opinion, ASAP.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM

just over a week ago my dog had blood in urine, she was given antibiotic and it improved overnight. We continued the full course and I then took in a urine sample which they dip-sticked and it was clear. Meanwhile the vet did a urinalysis and culture, negative- but they found a very small growth in the bladder which they will check for any change shortly. UTIs usually respond well to A/B
Has she had a urinalysis? I think another opinion could be sought.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

My small white dog who is a mini poodle mix had blood in his urine and it turned to be cause by crystals . I no longer feed him dog that has wheat or yeast and he has been OK. I was told it was common for small white dogs to have a lot health issues. What kind of dog do you have ? My last dog had blood in his urine and he had cancer in his kidney .