Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 6th, 2004, 04:41 PM

pitpup problems

i just recently rescued a female pitbull puppy that has been abused and neglected she was chained up on a 2 foot chain and was usually locked in a VERY small cat carrier for days at a time. i havent been able to get her into the vet yet but plan on it really soon. Shes only about 13-14 weeks i am told. i also have 2 other female dogs i know that puppys are generally rowdy at times and she plays well with my other dogs but she wont stop untill they get mad and start fighting, when this happens i teld to tell my large dogs "no" and they stop but Cara(pitbull) wont....i flick her on the nose and tell her no but it isnt working...then she thinks that i want to play..and starts growling and snapping at me, what should i do?
Shannon
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

HI and welcome to the board! Your puppy has been seriously deprived of any socialization and has no idea of how to act around dogs or people,and cannot be expected to behave the way you would like her to. You are going to have to do a great deal of work with her.

I suggest (after you have her vet checked and innoculated) that you enroll in an obedience school in a puppy class. This will give her the socialization she desperately needs, and will teach you what is normal and what is not, and you will learn how to train her.

You now have 3 female dogs, and Cara may become aggressive to your two other dogs as she matures. If you are not prepared to possibly have to keep her separate from your other dogs at all times, I really suggest you train and socialize her, and then get her adopted out to a responsible home.

Thanks for saving this baby!
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Ver good information Lucky! It's very important to think about the possibility that your dogs can not be in the same room - even with supervision! Are you willing to deal with this? They have to be exercised seperately, fed, walked, cuddled, everything!!! Far too many people are very narrow minded when it comes to this situation thinking that it can never happen to them, they let their guard down because their dogs are so friendly and nice, and then - literally - in the blink of an eye, dogfight! Please, keep them safe.