Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM

My First Rescued Kitten...Few Questions.

At Kensington Market in Toronto, a young store owner came around and was trying to find a home for a stray cat that she believed was rejected by the
'cat hoarder lady' in her neighbourhood. She went to the woman's house and presented the stray cat and the lady said that it wasn't hers. I decided to adopt it because i've been wanting to get my first cat. I started going online and reading. My kitten is perhaps 5 months old now and "Half-Time" (Half, Halfie) is doing great. She's really smart and even plays catch with me. I feed her an all natural grain free diet. I keep hard food out all the time and give her a small amount of wet or raw (frozen medallions) food in the morn and in the evening. She is a female Tortie.

I haven't taken her to a vet yet. I don't have a lot of money and i don't want to be ripped off by unnecessary fees. How do i know what is essential. I am on the 10th floor of a highrise. I take her outside in a harness and just let her wander around a bit to experience some nature.

1. What should i look for in a vet. What tests/shots do (and do not) need?
2. I live on the 10th floor with a long apt. length balcony. I keep all its windows and door open. Her kitty litter is out there. There is a small, 6 inch opening on the bottom of the balconies glass and then there is a ledge on it's upper railing with a bar railing.
3. Do cats have an innate sense/fear/understanding of height? What happened if she saw a bird or something, could she slip or go over...?

Thank you very much for reading and any possible responses.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:14 AM

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new addition, would love to see pics if you have any to share.

I'm glad to see you are feeding some canned/raw, you may wish to read the info here regarding dry food http://www.catinfo.org/

In regards to vaccines, please read the new minimal vaccine protocols as outlined in this article from Dr. Jean Dodds - scroll down to the yellow highlighted text http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Please do NOT allow your cat on the balcony unsupervised, there are far too many cats injured & killed every year due to falling off balconies/out unsecured windows:
Quote:
High-Rise Syndrome: Cats Injured Due to Falls
The ASPCAź (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is sending a nationwide alert to all cat owners about a potentially deadly yet entirely preventable epidemic. With summer here, pet owners are eagerly opening their windows to enjoy the warm weather. They may not realize that they could also be putting their pets at risk. Windows without screens pose a real danger to small pets, particularly cats, who can fall out of the windows and to their death. This unfortunate happening is so prevalent in cities that veterinarians have given it a name, "high-rise syndrome." And as the name suggests, the worst accidents usually occur from city high-rise buildings.

"During the warmer months we see approximately three to five cases a week at our animal hospital in New York City," said Louise Murray, DVM, director of medicine for the ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital. "Pet owners need to know that this syndrome is 100% preventable if they install full window screens and take other simple precautions. Inexpensive accordion-type screens can be purchased at almost any home or hardware store."

Why would pet owners allow their cats to tread on precarious fire escapes or balance on windowsills? The ASPCA says popular myths including the belief that cats can take care of themselves or that they have "nine lives" seems to have given pet owners the false idea that cats can save themselves from dangerous predicaments. The truth is that cats are as vulnerable to injury as other companion animals, and pet owners need to understand how they can prevent their felines from plunging to possible death.

ASPCA high-rise facts about cats and high-rise safety:

Cats have excellent survival instincts and they don't deliberately "jump" from high places that would be dangerous. Most cats fall accidentally from high-rise windows, terraces, or fire escapes.

Cats can slip through childproof window guards. To fully protect your cat, you should install screens in your windows.

Cats have an incredible ability to focus their attention on whatever interests them. A bird or other animal attraction can be distracting enough to cause them to lose their balance and fall.

Because cats seem to have little fear of heights and enjoy perching in high places, pet owners assume they can take care of themselves. Although they can cling to the bark of trees with their claws, other surfaces are much more difficult such as window ledges, concrete or brick surfaces.

When cats fall from high places they don't land squarely on their feet. Instead, they land with their feet slightly splayed apart which can cause severe head and pelvis injuries.

It is a misconception that cats won't be injured if they fall from one or two story buildings. They may actually be at greater risk for injury when falling shorter distances than by falling from mid-range or higher altitudes. Shorter distances do not give them enough time to adjust their body posture to fall correctly.

Remember that when cats fall from high-rise buildings they may end up on sidewalks or streets that are dangerous and unfamiliar to them. Never assume that the animal has not survived the fall; take the animal immediately to the nearest animal hospital or veterinarian.

There is a 90% survival rate for cats that are high-rise victims if they receive immediate and appropriate medical attention.

To prevent cats being injured from falls, owners should:

Keep their cats indoors to protect them from additional dangers such as cars, other animals, disease or getting lost.

Install snug and sturdy screens in all your windows.

Make sure any adjustable screens are tightly wedged into window frames.

Use an air conditioner instead of taking a chance on flimsy screens that can be nudged out of the way by a determined cat.

Check that a cat cannot fit through ironwork or lounge on the balustrade of any balcony or terrace. If a cat can fit her head through an opening, her body usually can be worked through as well.

Use deck netting or wire mesh to insure safety, and only allow the cat access when properly supervised.

Look into full screen enclosures for backyards and terraces.

Keep the cat out of the area where construction or service work leaves an open hole in a wall.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying