Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 8th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Does he need a cone?

We had our puppy neutered today. He is doing great and hasn't picked at his incision at all in the 5 1/2 hours that he has been home from the vet. So..... should I still put his cone on tonight or do you think he would be alright.

PS. Oliver is an almost 6 month old Shih Tzu if that makes any difference.
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

while you are sleeping

In the last 3 weeks we have had 3 adopted dogs go back in to be restitched as the owners left the cone off while everyone was sleeping and their dogs had a field day. Err on the side of caution and put the cone on when you cannot be watching.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:53 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

I agree. I've worked approx 16 years as a vet assistant and have seen many neuters and spays, abscesses,etc return for resuturing and / or stitch abscesses from licking. I would suggest it just for when you cannot be around......an alternative is a bitter tasting substance to discourage licking such as Variton. It can be applied directly over suture line. Yo'll notice a lot of foaming and drooling if he does lick at it. try the cone but keep in mind some dogs will go balistic and cannot wear the cone in the evening as they drive the family members batty with the whining and crashing into things. Remember to keep him in a confined space also and restrict or limit activity at least for the next few days. Hopefully, he remains well behaved and leaves the area alone
Good luck and kudos to you for having him neutered!
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, and you were right. About an hour after I posted my question he started licking you know where. So the cone went on. He is doing surprisingly well with it, which is good since he will be in it for awhile. I took it off a few times today to give give him a break while I was able to watch him, and every time he had it put back on within 10 minutes, he just wouldn't leave his incision alone. Silly puppy.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

awww

Poor little guy, they are probably picking him. I hope he feels right as rain soon.
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:48 PM
owned by Tucker

My pup got neutered 2 weeks ago and at night we put the cone on him, he has healed beautifully. My last dog has surgery once and ripped out his stiches, and made a hell of a mess and had to be restiched. So its not worth leaving the cone off.