Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Question How do I find a Mixed Breed Puppy?

I recently had to have my dog put down after a long battle with cancer and now find myself looking for a new companion. I would like to get a mixed breed, preferably a lab/golden retreiver mix. I am aware of the various rescues but at least for this time I would like a puppy and not an adult dog. I am aware of puppymills and want to make sure that I stay away from them. However I am having difficulty finding a breeder that caters to my wishes. I have heard that pet stores that sell puppies buy their puppies from puppymills so I don't want to look there. I have noticed that some breeders mix with poodles but I am not interested in a poodle mix. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Beagle Mom

I'd try your local animal shelters. Some of them (the ones in my area do) will actually take your name on a list with the specific type of dog you want, and then if they get any in they will call you. (Unfortunately they never got any beagles in the last time I did this).

Also you might check with some veterinary clinics. Someone may have a lab or golden retriever that unexpectedly got pregnant, and now they have those pups to contend with.

Good luck!
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

You can also try petfinders and legitimate rescue groups. We can help guide you as to who is a genuine rescue group.

If you find a mix pup in Quebec, I am coming home to Oshawa next weekend for Easter, and can bring someone with me. PM me if you like.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Goldengirl, your coming to my neck of the woods !
To bad I can't find a rescue by then for you to bring back for me !! (I found one in QC on petfinders "Fannie" , but she is with Take me home rescue,) They are located in Mississauga, the dog is located in a pound in QC they tell me.
If you want want to know anything about Oshawa, PM me, I would be happy to assist!

Sorry for stealing your thread rainman, But I will keep and eye out for a pup for you as I live in Oshawa too! I have seen a couple on: www.petfinder.com.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; March 17th, 2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Definitely stay away from the pet stores. The puppies are from mills and you don't want to support that cruelty.

Hamilton Animal Control has a litter of 8 week old Lab mix puppies.
Puppies

Reese

8 CUTE puppies in London!
Attached Images

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up

Wow, thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't realize I was going to get answers so fast. Petfinder is the piece of the puzzle that I was missing. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
banned user

just want clarification on something from the original poster:
Quote:
lab/golden retreiver mix
are you looking for literally a lab/gold retriever mix .... or are you saying that you would like ONE of the parents to be either a labrador or a golden retriever?

there is a couple giving away for free (yes, i know what the feelings on free are) a lab/husky cross, and they are just beautiful... pups. 10 weeks old
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

There are some cute lab/GS mixes at an SPCA near me:

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=

but that is likely too far for you. The fee is $25 which is almost like giving them away. (imho) Their vet (who is also my vet) likely spayed/neutered them for free though!

Last edited by CyberKitten; March 17th, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
just want clarification on something from the original poster:

are you looking for literally a lab/gold retriever mix .... or are you saying that you would like ONE of the parents to be either a labrador or a golden retriever?

there is a couple giving away for free (yes, i know what the feelings on free are) a lab/husky cross, and they are just beautiful... pups. 10 weeks old
Thanks Safyre. As long as the pups have either some lab or golden retreiver in them that would be fine. However I thought the process of finding a mixed puppy would of taken a couple of months. I had no idea of sites such as petfinder. I just had my dog put down a week ago and it is still a little too soon. I was planning on doing some research now so that I would be able to get a pup sometime in May.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

to hear about your recent loss Rainman.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Im sorry Rainman. Very hard thing to go through. Take your time.
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
banned user

I got my Diego, a golden & lab mix, from Pontiac Animal Shelter about 5 weeks ago when he was only 6 weeks old. He was from a litter of 8 cute pups, 4 golden and 4 black.

You can give them a call to find out if there is any left from the same litter. They are all adorably cute.

Diego's 2nd day home
Attached Images

Old March 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM
banned user

Oops, a phone number would certainly help

Here it is: 1-866-647-2908
Email: pontiac_animal_shelter@hotmail.com
Contact JR or Dawn
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM
banned user

Here is one I found on www.petfinder.com

Jessie
Dog
Labrador Retriever Mix

Size: Large
Sex: Female
I.D: 117

Notes: Our puppies are only placed in homes where people are with them during the day. They have had a harsh beginning in life and can never feel abandoned again. I don't have Jessie with me yet but we expect her within two weeks. She is in rescue care up north right now. Jessie is about four months old has not been mistreated or abused. She was owned by a woman who had a car accident just after purchasing her and who is now in a wheelchair. Jessie is housetrained and good with cats. She seems a bit uncertain around other dogs but that won't last now that she is in rescue care and with so many others. She is friendly and sweet and certainly deserves to be happy and sure again.

Moosonee Puppy Rescue
Bracebridge, ON
705-764-1478
sharron.purdy@sympatico.ca
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM
banned user

Thanks for clarifying that for me, i was al il confused, maybe it was just me

Sorry to hear that you had to put yuor dog down, do remember totake your time... Petfinder.com is a wonderful website that will really help in your search.