Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old January 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue stories needed

Hi everyone!
As some of you know, I'm looking to get a furbaby next summer. My hubbie and I have agreed on a breed (Boxer) after many, many, many hours of searching the web and reading a zillion books. The only thing we cannot agree on, is whether to rescue a pooch (I've been in contact with boxer Rescue Montreal -- Crystal : you're GRRRREAT! ) or to get a puppy from a breeder.

Tonight, we had a home visit from boxer Rescue. Nic (my husband) is almost convinced that this is the way to go. Although He has alot of preconceived notions about rescue (he thinks they're all 'bad' dogs), he's finally coming around.

I'd like to hear stories from people who have rescued a pet (preferably HAPPY stories) just to show him how many people have rescued and are happy with their dogs.

Thanks --

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Rescue - Rescue - Rescue

Circumstances vary as to why the dogs come into the program, but VERY, VERY seldom (in the case of boxers) is it because of a temperament problem. It may be health related (people dump sick and old dogs), but in almost 99% of the cases, the fault lies with the HUMANS...not the dog.
Source: http://www.boxerrescuecanada.org/

A co-worker rescued a boxer. Sweet dog. No problems.
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

In my experience, animals are mostly dumped for no fault of their own.

With dogs, I would say most of them are dumped for behavior problems ONLY because their owners never bothered to train them at all, or exercise them and somehow expected the dog or puppy to train itself!

The other most common reasons for dumping are: moving, no time, having baby, or allergies - none of which are the animals' fault in any way.

I adopted my 4 year old pit bull when she was 2. She is the absolute best dog around, and has no issues of any kind but she needed training, which I expected. The advantage of adopting an adult dog is no chewing, housetraining etc.and you also know what you have.

Many people have expectations that are completely unrealistic and when a dog fails to be 100% perfect the second it's brought home, it's dumped.

No reputable rescue will adopt out a dog who is aggressive or dangerous in any way.
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

My Boy GrizzyBear aka TeddyBear (will be long, sorry), Keyto and Hooch

It'll be hard to type this without tears, as we lost him this past October 18th. Anyways, he was a reserve rescue 11 years ago through ARF in Alberta, was going to be shot at the reserve along with a lot of other dogs on what they call a "clean-up shoot". He was at the time 10 months or so, believed to be lab/mastiff and grew up hanging around a schoolyard. He adored kids I guess as most pups do. He was very thin, full of worms and a very dull coat. As soon as he was cleaned up and gaining weight, I went to see him. The lady (who I remain in contact with) who fostered him was/is an angel for putting up with him. She could not get his respect no matter how she tried.
:love: It was LOVE at first sight! :love: He was WILD, I adored him, I rough-housed with him, he jumped all over her furniture, up on the entertainment center (taking dog cookies etc) all the while she kept scolding him and trying to get him to obey her. He was oblivious to her whilst we played. I left after an hour or so to come home and tell hubby about the pup I was getting, I guess in my excitement I FORGOT to clarify to this angel foster Mom that he was definiatly TAKEN. Only later did I find out after I left she was scolding him for his "lack of manners" and telling him "She really liked you and you blew it!" I knew I needed to come home and move some things out of reach, puppy proof to some degree and then make arrangements for him to meet our female Keyto in "her" house. I figured she have to like him, he was male so that was on our side, and I LOVED him. We had looked at several dogs and she was mean to all, especially other females. Two days later I called so she could bring him over. Keyto acted indifferent to him, he was an angel in the house, I signed all the paper work and noticed the paragraph that stated I had 90 days to return him if things didn't work out was crossed out and read something to the effect: Indefiniate time for extremely difficult to place large dog. HA! He wasn't large to me, maybe 85 lbs at the time, he grew to 140 lbs of love and muscle and fur! We did basic training, he learned the word no, it took me a week of leaving the house and sneaking back to hear him howling and reassure him it was okay. We dealt with the usual bout of runs due to stress and all the de-worming. He was an angel. He adored and hovered over the kids, he was their guardian, he was my husbands buddy and he was my TeddyBear. I laughed over the difficult to place issue. He fit right in. He DID take a loaf of bread off of the microwave once, didn't eat it, just took it down..I'm sure he had his reasons . I'm sure he must have done some "bad dog things".. but I can't remember any, okay so now I'm tearing up, I better wrap it up. The only grief this boy ever caused me was when I had to say goodbye. We had 9 wonderful years with him and I'd give just about anything to have him back. We have a new rescue pup adopted 1.5 months after GrizzyBear left us because I wanted to save another homeless soul as a tribute to Grizzy and to ease my own pain. The pain of course is still there, it's just not as constant as I have a distraction in Einstein. He hears all about Grizzy and is company for Keyto as well. Keyto is also a rescue, adopted at 11 months of age and is now almost 12 yrs old. There was NOTHING wrong with her, she was dumped because she needed exercise and she shed. Go figure how someone could throw away a beautiful well behaved pup for those reasons. Hooch, our 3 yr old little weiner dog was going to be pts for aggression and biting, his former home had piddle pads everywhere, not housebroken at all and he bit my girlfriends hubby 4 days after she took him in. She met the former "owner" in an "alley" to pick him up, I guess he REALLY didn't want this dog back (like he'd ever stand a chance!) I took him from her as she really wasn't able to cope with him. He's been here for just over 2 yrs now, has the odd accident, is a grumpy soul at times when he can't get his own way. But the love he gives back.. :love: and the trust in those eyes. I guess I just feel better knowing that I gave a home when no one else would, or when someone grew tired of their responsibilities and I could fill that gap. All my best to you whether you choose to rescue or not (hoping you rescue tho! ). Good luck with your new furbaby.
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for the replies!

Heinz -- what a great story of love...a have to fight back the tears...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM

What a heartfelt story, thanks for sharing it! Lucky dogs to find such a loving family! Now I'm teary too!
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM

We adopted "Buddy" in April of 2004 from Magyluk Rescue (that is another story in itself).... Anyway, Buddy was a pretty sad looking, skinny and very hyper four year old golden. We will never forget the day that we picked him up and drove him home from Peterborough in the back of the car. Boy did he stink. (Still though, it took about a week or so before he was comfortable enough for me to put him in the bathtub and give him a bath.)
We took him to the vet the very next day to get him checked out. He was over 20 pounds underweight according to the vet and had a number of dog bites on his rear end which had to be treated. It was evident that he was very stressed and that he had not been taken care. There had also probably been some abuse.
The first few months were pretty rough, because Buddy definitely had "attitude", with other dogs, but he was also very insecure and frightened. He was "all over the place", and would bark like crazy every time he heard a sound on the street or if someone came to the front door. It took him a long time to trust us. We have done a lot of training with him, helping him to understand some basic commands. Mostly we have spent many hours just "being" with him, hugging him, kissing him, making sure that he knows that he is special and that he is loved.
It made a difference. Buddy is no longer the same dog he was when we picked him up. He is now a confident, happy, affectionate little guy who has absolutely no question in his mind, that he is loved. He loves to play. It is like he is reclaiming the "puppyhood" that he never expeeinced. And yes, he is now totally spoiled.
Buddy was not a bad dog, he was a misunderstood dog, who was simply not given a chance to grow, and become the golden that he was always meant to be. We consider ourselves blessed for having Buddy come into our lives, and brighten our every day with his golden smile.
Yes, rescuing CAN and DOES make a difference. All it takes is believing that YOU can make a difference in just one dog’s life.
Attached Images

Old January 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Rescue stories

As part of rescue, I take in dogs from their former owners, the SPCA, etc. Frequently the dogs come into rescue for reasons other than their behaviour. Divorce, moving, some have been unclaimed strays. The family got too busy for the dog, got bored with the dog, the "new baby" excuse. I would say that about one third of the families giving up their goldens are in tears, but they are making the decision that is best for the dog, or circumstances have forced them to part with their beloved pet. Good dogs come into rescue too.

My mini doxie is a rescue. He was a stud in a puppy mill. Poor little bugger spent the first 1.5 yrs of his life in a cage. Coming into rescue was the best thing that happened to him. He has the normal doxie independent (and mischevious) nature, but no extra "issues" because he is a rescue. Except maybe he loves to snuggle more that the average doxie because he did not have any affection for the first 1.5 yrs.

Harry was a 6 month old golden on death row at the SPCA because he had been returned 4 or 5 times (separation anxiety, excessive barking). He never barked once while he was my foster because he had another dog with him during the day. So he has been adopted to a home with another dog and things are perfect.

Sally was given up because "the kids won't walk her". Sam's family was badly injured in a car accident and physically could not look after him. Mackie' family did not have enough time to pay proper attention to him. He kept "running away" to the neighbours for attention. He sitcks to his new home like glue, because he receives attention there (don't forget that goldens are very social animals. They NEED the human contact).

Charlot was on death row at the SPCA, returned 3 or 4 times because of chronic ear infections and shedding. He is happy and healthy in his "forever home". All Charlot needed was quality dog food, not the grocery store brands. He has not had one ear infection since, and does not shed more than any other golden.

Some rescue dogs do have "issues", but don't forget, they have been fostered and assessed. Rescues try to make the best match, and the reputable ones will be up front with any issues the dog has. They would rather wait and adopt the dog out once, rather than make a quick placement with high odds the dog will be coming back. And there will always be a "settling in" period when a dog moves into a new environment, but those are temporary. And rescues will help you deal with those too.

Hope this helps
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Lady and Hedley

One afternoon on the way to the grocery store my husband passed a large, rather emaciated doberman standing on the side of the road. As he passed her he thought "That dog isn't going to make it". He turned around and went back home got a bottle of water and a bowl and went back to find it. There, in the same spot as before, stood a bony, skinny female doberman. He approached cautiously and put down some water for her. He called to her and she came to hime and drank and drank, he then coaxed her into his convertible, in the front seat no less, and brought her home. 10 minutes later I pulled up in the driveway and her. My husband quickly told me what had happened. I said this poor little lady needs some TLC and that is how Lady got her name. We brought her in and introduced her to our two cats and after almost a month Lady was fit as a fiddle. Once two weak to stand and eat she became a dog who loved to run and run. Sadly two years later we found out Lady had lymphoma and after 6 months of chemo we had to let her go.

Six months later my husband was still grieving. I tried everything to find him a new doberman, there just aren't that many breeders near by and at $2,000 for a puppy from PEI, I decided to adopt a rescue again. That is when I found Doberman rescue unlimited. It took almost six months of pleading and a letter from our vet before they finally agreed to let us cross the border and go get Hedley, he was 2 1/2. We still have him almost 6 years later.

The question for me became really easy, there is a little soul in this world already that needs to be loved and cared for. Let's take care of the ones that are already here before we bring new ones into this world.
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwwwww, look at that face! What a cutie pie! I love dobies

Thanks for sharing that great story...Lady was a lucky girl to have found your husband. Give Hedley a big hug for me!

Old February 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG these stiories are making me cry.

I will probably be getting a dog within the next 6 months.
and I will be looking for a rescue for sure!!

Puppies are adorable, but alot of work, potty training, chewing, obedience, crate taining.....

Rescue dogs, are great, they are almost always house broken, you will aslo be sure of its temperment (a good foster or rescue will be very honest),
you will know what it looks like when its fully grown and how big it gets
alot of rescues are also fully obedience trained.

I also find that they feel forever indebted to you , its almost like they know you saved thier life, so do everything to please you.

I just don't understand why more people don't get a rescue ??

yeah sure puppies are cute, but that time is so short (8 monthsor so?)
and then the look just like a rescue dog (like an adult).
but now you have chewing (up to 2 years of it) some like beavers, destroying everything in site, obedience training, and very very active young dog .

puppies require ALOT of work, and if you both work full time, ,it's even more difficult.

Thats my opinion on the subject.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Rescues

Happy Cats, you couldn't be more right! I think another big part of it, although there are definitely exceptions, the original pet owners weren't real pet people. The animal knows it so when it gets with a person who is they can't help but respond. Pet people are great people!
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Resident Evil!

This is not a rescue apologue, rather an adoption tale.

Moving out of our Montreal apartment and into our new home provided us with the space to provide one, perhaps even two *winks* dogs a home. In our search we missed out on a beautiful mix of Bouvier Bernois / St. Bernard. My first thought is that we were just not 'Lucky'. I would suppose that all things happen for a reason, and while out searching the shelters and managing calls to rescues we chanced on our wonderful goofball.

Toby was an eight month old Golden when we got him from the Berger Blanc in Laval last May, he really was a tough nut to crack. The first few months were difficult as he chewed just about anything he could get his mouth on. Jennifer(my wife), Jordan(14 year old), and Toby began their training together and each week provided a definite improvement.

Toby truly has become a model citizen. He is gentle, warm and loving. He's still a goofball and stubborn, but that just makes him more a 'part of the family', he's no different than my two teenage sons. My advice to anyone out there who may have recently adopted or is planning on adopting is to take a dog training course, the bond you build with your dog will reap the greatest rewards. Toby is a true champ. (pictures will come, they are too large to upload)

Dar.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

This is just my opinion that you could ,if you wanted to, convey to your hubby...

You have a better chance having that good experience you are looking for if you take in a rescue. The rescues I know of are very reputable and they take the time to know who they are adopting out and to whom, to make sure that this is the last time the dog/cat gets re-adjusted.

A breeder, nomatter how reputable, doesn't work exactly the same way... It's my understanding that they would draw up the proper spay/neuter contracts and that you'd always be able to bring the dog back should things not work, but you couldn't guarantee a good match based on breed anymore than you could blame a bad match.

All my babies are rescues with special needs, and it's very, very rewarding...most people will tell you "it's like they know!!" and it's true!!
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Byrd
[COLOR=Navy][B]We adopted "Buddy" in April of 2004

I believe the same as others.... rescue dogs can be everything sometimes more then a puppy from a breeder.

Rescue dogs most of the time just have not had the time spent with them needed, they can learn just like any other dog.

I hope to get another golden to add to our family as Blaze is now 1yr,

I will be looking to foster or adopt and I will go to a rescue. I know there is a golden there that needs us and will be everything we help him become.

My opinion is rescue brings me to Buddy...
Buddy what a handsome Golden, your should be very proud you help Buddy become the perfect boy. love for the rest of his life.

Nothing better.... enjoy him he is gorgeous
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

you guys are grrrrreat!

Old February 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Both my cat and dog are from a rescue group. My boyfriend and I searched for a long time for a dog but we were turned down many times because we are younger. We were asked to foster a dog by one of the many friends i made in rescue groups. She was a lab/shepard cross who had been in the pound somewhere north of Toronto for at least a year. The first thing I did when she arrived at our house was take off her dirty collar and give her some wet dog food and she became my instant friend. After a week I couldn't give her up. It took a lot of training. We're not sure even now of her age, but I do know she was never socialized or trained properly as a puppy. We also suspect she was abused. It's still hard even now because she's not sure how to interact with other dogs, but she's improving daily and I've made a lot of friends at the dog park which has helped a lot. She's perfect for our lifestyle and I don't think I'll ever want to buy a purebread puppy.

Old March 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

kirei - thanks for giving that poor girl a chance and for showing her that life can be good.

I'm sure she repays you every day for your kindness!!
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I have rescued a few dogs in my lifetime but my last guy Boo and my little boy Buddy are the best dogs ever. They both have long stories that go with them so instead of typing it all out I am giving you links this is the link to Buddy
http://mastiffowners.tripod.com/Buddy2.html
if you read some of the other rescue stories on here I hope you have kleenex handy.
This is the link to Boo
http://www.mastiffonline.com/modules...ewtopic&t=2107
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG mastifflover, those stories are so sad, I'm crying, Thank god you came along and have given both of them a wonderful life

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Bear's story

We used to lived in a 'country setting' about 20 minutes south of where we live now.

Our neighbour had a beautiful lab mix, and would just let her roam free. Every time I saw this guy, he was either screaming at the dog, or trying to find her. Lo and behold, she shows up pregnant. She has a beautiful litter of puppies (lab/mastiff/rottie and god knows what else). He takes a few of them to a pet store, and sells the pups for $400 each. He comes back home with two of them, saying the pet store didn't want one of them and the other one people wouldn't buy, because it would be too big.

He decided to keep the puppies for himself (along with the mother). The pups were allowed to roam free with mom, never trained, and often screamed at. One day, I was driving down our driveway, and see him with a large stick over his head, about to take a swing at the largest puppy. I honked (it worked as a diversion), and went to work. Midway through my shift at work, I was so disturbed over this puppy being almost hit (I'm sure it had been before, but was never witnessed), that I told my captain I was going home sick. I pulled into our driveway (it was a common driveway), and as I was driving by, I see the idiot hitting the puppy with a planter. So I throw my truck in park, jump out, tell the idiot that we'd take the puppy off his hands, and that if I ever saw him doing that again to any of the dogs, I would personally beat the crap out of him with my new Worth EST baseball bat. I looked down at the pup, said, "come on, we'll take you home", puppy waddled over to my truck, I put him in, and went home.

Called my husband at work, and said, "hey, honey, how about getting a puppy?" Hubby says, "we'll talk about it". "Um, no, there's one here now" says I. Hubby starts to laugh (all along we'd been talking about getting a dog). I told him about what the idiot had done to the pup, and he paid him a visit after work (he still won't tell me what was said).

Needless to say, Bear was a challenge at first. We got him at about 8 weeks old, he'd never even been to a vet, no shots, completely untrained (was allowed to do his business in the house), wolfed his food, as all the pups were never sure when they'd eat again. So We took some holidays from work, and spent a LOT of time working with Bear. (I still envision myself standing out on our deck in the middle of a blizzard at 3am in my bathrobe and hubby's work boots cheering like crazy because Bear went outside to pee).

This dog has been one of the greatest joys in our lives, he's sweet, gentle, yes, he's big, but he knows his size.

Guess what, when the baby came along, we brought a blanket home from the hospital, let Bear sniff it. When the baby came home, we let Bear sniff the baby, and the two of them have been inseparable ever since. I don't buy the "new baby came along so no time for dog" excuse. Ever.