Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Girl, 4, Killed By Family Rottweilers

SPARTANBURG, S. C. -- A 4-year-old Spartanburg County girl died of severe head injuries after being attacked by her family's rottweilers.

Asia Turner

Asia Turner was playing in her back yard when she was attacked by her family's rottweilers, named Luke and Duke.

The girl's grandmother, Lana Bogan, said one dog was chained to a clothesline and the other had gotten out of a fence.

"He broke loose. They are big dogs," said Bogan. "I don't know if another dog in the neighborhood was here and stirred him up or what."

Investigators said there were no witnesses to the attack and neighbors said they didn’t hear anything unusual.

Neighbors said the victim's father was inside taking a nap when the attack happened.

"It's too early to tell if it was a initiated attack of the dogs or if the two dogs were fighting and the child got in the middle of it," said Don Arnold, a spokesman for Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement.

Bogan said one of the dogs seemed to be more aggressive than the other.

"The only time I've seen either one of them get aggressive is when I had Duke and they brought Luke over there, Duke tried to get toward Luke," said Bogan. "That's when I told them they didn't need to keep the two dogs together."

Neighbors said they were cautious of both dogs.

"The rottweilers have growled and lunged at me," said Charlotte Ridings.

Ridings said she believes the attack could have been prevented.

"Yeah, I think it could've been prevented," said Ridings. "I hope they don't bring the dogs back, because we will petition it."

The dogs were taken to the Spartanburg Humane Society. They will be held there for 10 days.

South Carolina law does not require the dogs be put to sleep because the attack happened on the owner's property.

Copyright 2005 by TheCarolinaChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:11 AM

90% of dog attacks on children occur in the family home and 47% of the dogs involved are the family pets. I wish people would learn that dogs are dangerous animals before losing a child. Even a pomeranian can kill a child. :sad:
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

It just doesn't end and once again the victim is a child. It just breaks my heart.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,poor baby....But once again an"unsupervised"child,at 4 yrs old no child should be left to his own devices,while daddy is napping.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Yes,poor baby....But once again an"unsupervised"child,at 4 yrs old no child should be left to his own devices,while daddy is napping.
You said it Chico! UNSUPERVISED!!!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep,nice of dad to be napping and the CHAINED in backyard makes me curious as to how the dogs were raised.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

This is why...

This is why certain breeds get bad reputations. Most people won't question why the child was unsupervised, they will just assume that the attack happened because they were rotties. Dogs are like people, there are good ones and bad ones and even the good ones can be bad in some situations. This was the father's fault for not supervising the child - and the breed will get the blame once again! Things like this make me so mad I want to spit!!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Unhappy

Haven't there been cases like this before where the parents were held accountable and charged,since the attack was thier fault?The breed should be irrelevant since any dog if it kept constantly chained will often become agressive,but I guess it won't work out this way.Poor child,poor dogs idiot parents
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2

Chico that is exactly right!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM

sc child killed by rotts...

so i know im a few yrs late on this but i just now found this..i am a family member of the child that was killed..so im gonna state a few facts that are not mentioned..first off the mother was not at home at the time..she was at work..and the father and two children(that including asia)were all asleep when asia woke up before anyone else..the doors were locked..she unlocked the doors and went out to the dogs..she always played with these dogs so she thought nothing of it..now i do agree that she should have never been allowed to be so comfortable with these dogs..but not becouse of their breed but becouse they were big dogs..i have a child the same age myself and i would never let her get comfortable with big dogs..any big dogs..and becouse this did happen to this precious child i am very wary of any kind of big dog...it bothers me that alot of people on here act like he took her out to the dogs himself..like he wanted this to happen..i will tell you that her parents live with this everyday and suffer every single day of their lives..their has been permanent damage not only for her parents but for the rest of the family..see the news didnt tell the whole story..all they said was she was unsupervised outside..not all the circumstances..now i realize there will still be alot of people that will only see it as irresponsible parents and so forth..but again there is more to it than what was told..and these are the facts!!!