Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
MOTHER

Unhappy Spay Pregnant cat? Should I? Shouldn't I?

I have a cat that I took in over a year ago. She had had a litter of Kittens and I homed then and lept her. I realized that she was pregnant already so she had another litter of kittens. I then made an appointment to have her spayed. just near they appointment she got some kind of skin infection, and was put on antibiotics. I then completed the meds, and had the appointment to have her spayed again. I had company for the weekend and she got out side and got pregnant. she had her kittens and got the infection again. so I medicated her and got another appointment to have her spayed on september 18th 2009. she got out on the 12th of september 2009. I caught her this morning in a trap that I got from animal control.
So my question is.....Should I spay her..I know she must be preganant! I feel that it is right to spay her. but I want to know the input form all of you. I have read up on this all day. I have watched the surgery on line. I have read the pros and cons...But what do you think...I have the surgery booked for tomarrow morning...please give me your input! She could be as far as 3 weeks pregnant (23 days)(less than half way), I feel that it is okay, but do you?

Last edited by smithmummy; October 6th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM

So she's had 3 litters of kittens in the past year with this possibly being #4?

How was it that she got outside each time? Being unspayed and waiting for the sugery she should've been kept away from any door or window that would allow her access to the outside.

Considering this history you have just presented I think the only thing you can do is have her spayed tomorrow. Please inform the vet before the procedure that you think she may be 3 weeks pregnant so they may take any necessary precautions.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
MOTHER

I had visiters back in March and they didn't realize that my cat wasn't aloud out side...and in September, my Basement door fell off the hinges and she got out with out me realizing...her surgery was booked for the following week.. Although I have tried my best to have her spayed. I didn't realize that there was such a thing as being "spayed Pregnant"... The docters are aware of her pregnancy. I called them and made arrangments as soon as she escaped, when I had to cancel her appointment that I had booked for the 18th of September...I called them today and gave them all the info and she will be done in the morning....
Thank You for your imput...she is such a lovely cat and I love her dearly...and this will extend her life so that I may enjoy her company and she enjoy mine for many more years, I pray!...
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Spay her now while she is pregnant? YES The world does not need another litter of kittens. There are alreay far too many being born. Most will not make it to a year old. Please spay her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM

I would most diff. have her spayed at the first appt. you can get. You can't wait to have this done. It would be best. Don't let anything get in the way of this one. If you have to put her potty and food and water in a bedroom with a sign on the door until you get her there. Just my opinion.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You have been told no food or water after 8pm right? Most of the time it's after 8. If being done later in the day it might be after 10pm. Please make sure she does not get anything. That could cause very serious issues during surgery.
One of the cats I adopted a month or so ago was pregnant when she was fixed. She is fine. Fat, sassy and grumpy. Just like she always is.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM
MOTHER

I am having her done in the morning...and YES no more food or water for her since 9pm, I am bringing her in for 9am...they said 12 hours...I made my mind up after speeking with my vet when I took one of my other cats in last week for a upper respiratory infection. I spoke to the vet and asked if there was such a thing as a `pregnant spay`and they told me yes and they will do it...they gave me pointers on how to catch her. and told me that the day I catch her, she can be done the next morning. They told me to put her in a cage with all her stuff and make sure that she has No food or water 12 hours prior to the surgery. So my Rachel will be spayed tomarrow.
I wanted to know what others felt about this subject. I have been on the internet researching it all day. There are not too many people that disagree with it. I thought that I would like to hear opinions about my personal story.
Thanks....
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmummy View Post
I am having her done in the morning.
Good decision.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

One of my adopted kittens was aged incorrectly when I got her. The vet told me to bring her back in four months for spaying (he liked to wait to the six month point). Two months later she went into heat. Since I'd gotten her and her brother, she didn't need to get outside to get impregnated - cats don't really care about the whole incest thing...

I took her to the vet and had her spayed two days later (and the growing litter destroyed. It sounds harsh, I know, but I swear to you that if little Anya ever had a moment's sorrow over it, she never showed it. Ten years later, she's still a happy, healthy cat.

Each litter can shorten a female cat's life span and she can be impregnated again SO fast after giving birth...

Good luck with the spaying today. Oh, and there's always the fact that you don't have to watch her go into heat. I'd never seen it before when Anya did it and she turned from my sweet little kitty into such a... Well, I was shocked!

Really, it's best.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending some for her spaying today! This is the right decision, there are way too many cats in the world.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Mickey, my angel

I also totally agree you are making the best decision both for your girl and for all the kitties already out there hoping to find forever homes. Also, when you get a chance, we would love to see pics of Rachel. People on this board love pictures.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
thing...
I took her to the vet and had her spayed two days later (and the growing litter destroyed. It sounds harsh, I know, but I swear to you that if little Anya ever had a moment's sorrow over it, she never showed it. Ten years later, she's still a happy, healthy cat.
If a kitty is fixed two days after mating the vet would not even have known the cat was pregnant. There really isn't much of a pregnancy to abort. So no, it does not sound harsh. When I would truly hesitate is when the cat is about a week away from delivery. The kittens do not suffer. As soon as the cat is administered the anesetic they perish. And yes, there are vets that will abort that close to delivery.

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for a smooth surgery and a quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
MOTHER

Thanks so much guys...well I ook her in and I was worried cause one of her kittens passed away during his neuter 2 weeks ago.So I made sure that the vet and staff knew who my cat was, that she was the mother of the little gu that had passed away ...so they could watch out for anything abnormal.
and so at 3pm she had been done.......they said she sisn't apear to be pregnant, but she was in heet. The surgery went well and she was doing fine...at 8pm I picked herup....I fixed up my medical cage for her so she can recover with out the other cats and kittens bothering her...vet told me that this would be a great idea....so I kissed her and oved her for a while before I went to bed...
this morning she was laying down and relaxing. I came to see her, I gave her some pain meds...sat and loved her for a while and then closed up the cage. She is resting and things seem to be going great. Ipray for a speedy recovery!..I love you Rachel....
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great report, smithmummy! Glad to hear all is going so well!

for a quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo! Glad to hear she made it through the surgery.

Not sure what pain meds the vet gave you, but if it is metacam, it is not the safest for kitties. Plus, if the cat can't feel the pain, then they may be temped to be overactive which can cause issues for the incision.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
MOTHER

Yes it is Metacam, she is in a cage and has limited space to move around... I am doing this for the first while. her incision looks good. she HASN'T been licking it. she seems like she is doing well....
thanks so much!
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.metacamkills.com/

http://karebu4672.multiply.com/journal/item/13
Metacam is not the safest pain reliever for cats. Your kitty will do just fine without it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)