Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 15th, 2004, 01:22 PM

easily distracted

We adopted Riley, a 6 yr. old Australian shepherd, a month ago. He is good when we take him for his walks each day, but he gets distracted easily. Once we were walking around a bend in the trail and he just about pulled me into the river because he saw some ducks. I assume this is part of his herding instinct. He also gets distracted by other dogs, not everyone here walks their dog on a leash even tho they are supposed to. Is there some way I can keep him from getting distracted so easily? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. marg
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

The problem is not that he's distracted. The problem is that he has never learned to walk properly on leash, is ignoring you and doing what he wants. If he pulls you and you follow, even unwillingly, he has won, so he will continue to do this.

If you haven't already, I suggest enrolling in obedience school so he can learn some manners and you can learn how to train him.

My dog used to do the same thing - nearly pulled me into traffic - and obed. school helped enormously.
Old November 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Leash Manners

I agree with Lucky...needs to be taught leash manners...all dogs are easily distracted on walks. Please read Tenderfoot's response to the "spike collars" lead, as it discusses walking a bit. I use their methods on my 8 month old lab mix and she has responded very well...also very quickly. She had previously been through a treat based training program with mixed results. I don't want to give Tenderfoot's specific techniques since that is their business . Maybe they would be willing o give you pointers. I'm not all the way thru their program, but have had great success to date.

Good Luck!
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Rileys settled down

We got Riley a month ago. According to his previous owner, Riley had done very well in obedience classes. When we got him, he did pull on the lead but not anymore. I think he was just testing me to see how far he could go. When he learned he couldn't run the show, he settled down and is now doing just fine. I have had several meetings with the previous owner and asked about the training Riley has had and if there was anything I could do to make handling him easier. Between Riley and his previous owner, I have learned how to handle him (Riley) and he has learned my signals. Marg
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Good for you! Sounds like the makings of a fine friendship to me!!!