Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:19 PM

Unhappy

I had to have our 13 year old Maltese put to sleep today because of a collapsed trachea. She seemed to be doing not too badly on medication but, suddenly began to have a real problem (especially during the night) and was gasping for air intermittently. I keep wondering did I make the right decision in having her euthanised. We loved her dearly and miss her so much. Should I have given her more time? Has anyone had this same trachea experience? Heartbreaking!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:35 AM

To RITER

I just now read your post and I'm so sorry about your dog. The decision you had to make is a very difficult one and I can truthful say that I think you should trust in yourself and your decision. You sound like a loving and caring pet owner who only had the best in mind for your dog. I owned and loved dogs all my life and probably always will and I know what you must be feeling but in time it will get better. I wish you peace of mind and please try not to feel too bad. Suzy
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

My condolences Riter . I agree with Suzyljank, You know your dog better than anyone, so I would say the same, trust your instinct. I have lost a few pets and must say that it's not always an easy decision, but it may be what is best for the pet.
Time will help heal the pain of your loss, but you will never forget your dearly loved family member.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

My westie had this problem along with bronchitis and wow it was hard to see him go through the coughing sometimes.

If your dog was suffering and strugging then why do you think you did wrong? You do what you feel is best under the circumstances.

I'm sure you are just missing your dog and the loss and heartbreak is so very hard to deal with. I've been there myself. Mine was 16 yrs and 1mon old when he had to pass away.

Don't beat yourself up about it! I would love to see a picture, can you show us one?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM

I am so sorry - I did have a lab/dobie mix that had to be euthanized because of a collapsed trachea. It happened yrs ago when I was in high school and to this day I feel it was atleast partially my fault - we always had him on a "choke collar" we were told this was the right thing to do and didnt know any better. When my brother and I (and "Shane") were "kids" Im sure we pulled too hard and caused this later problem. It still kills me, but it has caused me to learn alot more, and also caused me to look deeper into the types of training and use clicker with my puppy because these collars still scare me (even though I know they are safe if used properly)
please dont take this as if I am saying it was in any way your fault, I am jsut telling you my story
If your dog was suffering, then you definetely did the right thing. losing a pet is always heartbreaking, but time help heal that. sometimes we have to do things that break our hearts but are in the best interest of our beloved pet - because we love them so much.