Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM

How do you keep your pets cool in the summer ?

Keeping pets cool in the summer is pretty crucial to avoid heat-related illnesses.

My pup needs to stay cool with his heart condition.

Lets make a list of ways we can keep them cool.

Cottage ;

I freeze ceramic tiles and lay them on the deck.
I put ice-cubes in his water to keep it cold.
We'll put a safe fan down on the ground and he'll lay near it (he's not curious in the sense he'll go up to it, and with him being shave it's safe in that respect)
I'll put a frozen face cloth on his back or beside him while he's sleeping
Or sometimes we'll even just run him a bath and put him in it, he'll just walk around, sit, and keep himself entertained while I put my feet in and read a book or magazine.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have central air. We turn it on early in the year. For the dogs, of course. When it's really hot, none of us venture forth for very long.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Greetings from the hot Southern U.S.

I have Scotties, one is jet black, so she really feels the heat. I do take precautions in the heat since the dogs have very short legs and long hair, which equals limited air flow.

Like Hazel, we turn on the AC early and keep it a little lower. I got a white doggie tank-top shirt for my black dog to reflect the heat on our evening walks. It is a very thin shirt. I can wet it if needed. I also have a dog cooling bandanna that can be soaked in water and then offers evaporative cooling. My dog does not like this as it is heavy. I give the dogs crushed ice in their water bowl to cool and encourage drinking. I keep a spray bottle of water in the refrigerator and can spritz hot tummies as needed. I also have something called a Frogg Togg Chilly Pad. Link: http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/ChillyPads.shtm ) This is a special material that can be wettened and stays cooler than the outside temperature. I use this when my dog has agility class in the summer.

I also try to limit the exposure to the extreme temperatures. This means getting up earlier in the morning for our long walk. Quick in and out in the afternoons for elimination. And trying to have inside games to stimulate their minds. I like the idea of freezing the tiles.
Old June 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Nice to hear ! We have central A/C at our cottage but it only gets turned on if it gets really hot
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

we have a/c, we set up her pool, we do out walks at 6 am and again at 7 pm, my mom "makes" chilly willy scarves for dogs and brina wears them when its really hot out.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM

Well Scruffy will have a hot summer, if we ever get sun! He used to lay in the cast iron tub to cool off, but I swapped it out for an acrylic one.
He has a pool in the back yard. I've been known to spray him with the hose when I am doing the flowers.
At the dog park, I put water on his head and back. I've seen these puppy neck cooler neckerchiefs on dogs, but not sure where to get them.
He's also shaved. It must help.
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow such great ideas - the frozen ceramic tiles, that's way cool

I've seen cooling bandanas as pet trade shows and they look like they would work well.

Here's a link on how to make them for free http://www.ehow.com/how_6319942_make...anas-dogs.html
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

those are nice marko, my mom uses a large bandana to make them so it has 3 rows of beads in them , large to small following the shape of the bandana