Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM

dog and puppy together or seperate?

I may foster a 4 month old puppy in the near future. This puppy has never been away from the country and is not leash-trained, housebroke, or any of those city things. He has very basic manners (ie he ususally remebers to sit rather than jumping on people) but that is it.

Question is, do I just take the puppy with me and do the same things I do with my older dog (potty breaks, dogpark), just scaled down somewhat for a puppies abilities? Or do I have to have a seperate routine for each dog and do things with them seperatly?

If they do things together, I figure the adult dog will help train the pup. Or would it be too hard to teach the pup with the other dog around? Or might the older dog get jelouse that I'm splitting my attention between both dogs while they are together?
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Some things should be together and other things separate. First, do you know if your dog will tolerate the puppy? Some do and some don't. I keep my two together almost always, but they chose this arrangement- I was ready to crate the puppy but I didn't have to. The puppy will have to go out for potty breaks much more often than the dog. He won't be able to hold it as long. That said, your dog might help by showing the puppy where to go and what is expected of him.
As far as dog parks go--- I would never bring a puppy to a dog park. They just aren't big enough to defend themselves and don't have all of the 'social graces' yet to be there. Socialization classes will help with this, or little 'play dates' with other puppies.
The pup will probably sleep more than the dog, but may not sleep through the night.
Good luck with them. Here are my two, by the way... loving every minute of being together!!
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM

In my experience, an older dog will help with alot of the training a puppy needs ( especially house trianing). That being said.... that's only if your older dog tolerates the puppy. Don't be shocked if the dog's nose is out of joint. This little thing will steal attention and just "stink" up your dogs house. My old lady was good with Macy, but she had that " what did I ever do to you to deserve this" look at us for about a week. Don't force the pup on your dog.... let them work at it at their own pace. Your dog will let the pup know it's boundaries.

And IMO get a crate. You may put up with some whining and just all out complaining... but it will save your house. My neighbour brought his dog into town after being a farm dog and left her in the house... he had to replace all his doors and a bunch of the walls. The dog was literally trying to scratch her way outside. She had no idea what to do indoors.
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM

My dog and the puppy have met, and Ky tolerates and plays with the puppy. So that will likely not be a problem.

The puppy is already kenneled outside at night and for parts of the day, so a crate would not be foreign to him, but I am considering just blocking off a part of the kitchen or whatnot when I have to leave the two dogs home alone. The pup might be quieter if left with another dog, and I'm trying hard not to upset the folks upstairs with barking. But he would probably have to be crated at night so he can be in the bedroom with us.

There are often other puppies at the dog park I go to, and their owners seem happy with it and I would like him to smell and play with them if he wants to. I would steer clear of any larger or unruly dogs who might hurt him accidently.

There is already precedent for my adult dog to watch over puppies so that may come in handy. Ky knows the intricacies of dog body language better than me.

And I'll keep the puppy close. I'd rather not keep him leashed with loose dogs running around, so if he is too interested in ignoring me, I might have to leave him at home.
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM

How healthy is the puppy? If the puppy has an unknown past, you might want to wait a couple of weeks (gestation period for a lot of the bugs). You don't want to accidentally infect everybody at your dog park...
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM

He has already had all his puppy-shots and is coming from a clean place. My dog has visited a few times and has never picked anything up nor made the pups sick.

The puppy is coming from a friend-of-the-familys' farm. It's from an accidental litter that I was interested in adopting from a while back.

I had decided not to (since it would not be legal to introduce another dog (over 6 months old) into the household) but there are 2 puppies left and I have offered to foster one for a little while and give it some one-on-one time to teach it some basic obedience and manners.

That will also enable them to give the remaining puppy some one-on-one attention as well. And the two puppies will become more interested in humans rather than just going off and doing things together.