Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Rhino :(

I knew it was inevitable that he would come down with it, no biggie, but I was worried that it may become worse, as the eyes are running, and nose is dripping. So I called my vets office, I told them about the situation, they told me not to do antibiotics because he does not seem to have an 2nd degree infection, so he suggested viralys.
It is a supplement to build the immune system in cats, so I bought it. Does anyone know anything about this product. I have read online about it, and testimonials on it, sounds like a good idea.
He was at the shelter for just over a year, so I am guessing immune system is not the greatest right now.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
-

RL, Viralyse is the same as l-lysine that you can get at the health food store except that it is flavoured to make it more palatable for cats.

I haven't used it but lots of members here have so they will likely post their opinions for you. I hope Missy recovers soon.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
-

I just did a search and here is a couple of threads ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=viralys

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=viralys
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Did they give you the Viralys gel or powder? Viralys is basically l-lysine, an amino acid that interferes with arginine absorption. Arginine (another amino acid) is needed for the herpes virus to replicate. Since lysine is an arginine antagonist, symptoms of the herpes virus should diminish while taking it.

You can get just straight up l-lysine powder from a drug store or health food store, probably for cheaper than what's available at the vet. I'm not a fan of the Viralys gel, which contains yucky ingredients like sodium benzoate, maple flavour (????) and artificial sweetener. The powder is a better choice, but in that case you might as well save some bucks and go to the store.

What are you feeding your kitty? The best way to boost a cat's immune system is with a quality protein, low carb wet food.

ETA - Ah-ha, I'm a slow typer today.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Rottie owner and lover

The cat in question is Sunset. I have the gel, I was really ripped off at the vet, wow. I am feeding Akana, which is from the makers of orijen.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
-

Oooops, sorry ....I do remember seeing pics of the handsome black boy too.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
I have the gel, I was really ripped off at the vet, wow.
Maybe they'll give you a refund if you tell them that Sunset doesn't like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
I am feeding Akana, which is from the makers of orijen.
Can you feed wet instead? There is no dry cat food on this planet that is actually good for a cat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Missy can not, she has such horrible teeth and needs the crunching. I have to have her teeth scaled when she is under for the spay. If I could I would, I would try to find a way to afford it, much more expensive.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

The concept of dry food providing any dental benefit whatsoever is a total myth. In fact, if dry food was so good for a cat's teeth, why are Missy's so terrible? Why is dental disease such a huge problem for so many cats when the majority of them are fed kibble to begin with? It makes no sense. The truth is, dry food causes more dental problems than it solves. It shatters into bits that lodge between teeth and under gums (that is, if it isn't just swallowed whole), providing starchy food for bacteria. Cats are carnivores. Their teeth are meant for shearing into chunks of meat and bone, not grinding up dry nuggets of cereal. If you really want to keep them clean, feed them raw meat, gizzards, bone. Or learn to brush them.

You can read more about feline dental health and kibble here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...dcleantheteeth

As for the cost of wet food, you could save big bucks by sourcing your own fresh meat and feeding a balanced raw diet. Just ask Love4himies or want4rain, it's way cheaper than any commercial kibble or canned. If that isn't an option, I want you to think of this: spending more on food up front will save money on vet bills in the long run. Kibble is the number one cause of a huge number of medical problems in felines. Diabetes, kidney disease, allergies, IBD, dental disease, and bladder/urinary tract issues all have a direct link to diet. It's considerably cheaper to feed wet food for a year than it is to have a perineal urethrostomy (penis removal) on a male cat with a blocked urinary tract.

I know I've posted this link about a billion times, but if you haven't read it yet you really should. Written by a vet (one of the few who actually knows a thing or two about feline nutrition), it's a very readable article on why cats need wet food. Should be mandatory reading for anyone with a cat, as far as I'm concerned. http://www.catinfo.org/

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have sent this to work so I can read it. Thank you SCM, I really appreciate it.
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Also to get back on the subject, I am calling my vet today about Sunset, he is not wanting to eat now because of his nose. I am continuing to give him viryls but need to make sure has not become a secondary infection. More snot this morning, and eyes watering more.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Senior Contributor

To maybe help loosen up the congestion, you could try running a hot shower for 10 minutes while he's in the steamy bathroom with you. Might have to do that several times a day. If he goes more than a day without eating, it gets serious. Try feeding him really stinky things like sardines or tuna, plain chicken baby food (no onions), or one of the fish-flavours of Fancy Feast, which can be incredibly smelly.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

RL,who is Sunset??
I hope he gets better,there is always something going on,isn't it
Maybe you have a thread for him..got to go and check
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Sunset is headed to the vet tonight, came home and you can hear it now in his little chest. I gave some wet food, he ate a little of it
I will keep you posted, but I really think he will be stuck on meds to fight the infection