Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Feral Cat basic solutions

FERAL CATS ARE AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE CAT CATEGORY AND THEY PRESENT A UNIQUE CHALLENGE TO ALL CAT LOVERS.
I ADVOCATE SPAY, NEUTER AND RELEASE BUT GO A STEP FURTHER
I think you need to provide supplement feeding and shelter for these abandoned or feral cats, sometimes you find a tame abandoned housecat they all have a story we just don't know the whole story but we can write a positive chapter in their lives, shelter can just be a cardboard box on the porch with a cushion inside or an open crate or preferably a permo shelter a wooden shelter lined with carpet scraps, and an old clean sofa cushion inside or even better you sew a burlap bag at the open end after filling it with cedar chips- why- it is a natural flea and tick repellant, these permo shelters with a good little tin roof on them make very cozy feral shelters old dog houses work too as long as you paint them to get rid of the canine odors and carpet them many carpeters will gladly donate new carpet scraps if they know what it is for usually in the summer you want to flea spray in these shelters or sprinke liberally with sevin dust and occasionally you can rescur four or five week old kittens who if you tame them have a far better life. I feed feral and abandoned cats on my porch with dry cat food and fresh water all the time using a recycling bin and big bags of cat food, they know your helping them invest in a trap, occasionally you get to trap a cat and get it altered

Last edited by ellendar; August 28th, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling was messy