Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Question Please Help

I have an 11mo old Black Lab that my partner and I recently adopted and I'm curious to know how I can break him of old time habits. It's obvious his previous owner took him out potty in the wee hours. He normally wakes us around 4-430-5am Myself nor my partner usually aren't ready to be up until at least 7-730am. I have adjusted his feeding times so he eats at specific times and I will take him out 20-30 mins after eating and even take him out a minimum of one time before bed after he goes out the last time of the night he does not get anymore food or water so it's hard for me to understand his urgency in needing to potty at 4-430am when he's not had any food or water and has gone out numerous times since his last feeding (dinner.) Please someone help with advice on how to break his old time habits and get him used to ours faster if that's even possible.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM

is he crated at night or loose in the house?
approx when did you get him(1 day, 1 month?)
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm a softy

it might just be a habit, do you kennel him at night? maybe put a blanket over it if you do, then he may get less signals about what time it is. Also just start teaching him to wait longer, if he tries to wake you, send him back to bed and wait 10-15 minutes, do that for awhile until he is used to it anyway, and then streach it another 10-15 minutes and soon you can have him on your scheduale. Good luck!

However if he is saying he urgently has to go, and will pee in the house if you don't take him out, you probably should, if he really has to go then you shouldn't make him wait. He is young yet and I am sure that in time you will be able to get him through the night!

uhmmm... pictures?
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM

I'm struggling myself with a similar thing. I have realized our 5 month old pup actually doesn't have to go out in the middle of the night (if I let him in bed with us he'll sleep until at least 8) but that doesn't stop him from waking up at between 3 and 4 a.m. He sleeps in a kennel in our room. When he wakes and doesn't settle in 5 to 10 minutes I have started to take him to his crate downstairs and shutting our bedroom door. He fusses a bit but then goes back to sleep until we get up.