Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Question Ideas for food for a cat with Pancreatis???

Hello,

Well we have a 9 year old Linxpoint Siamease male fixed cat. a year ago he became very sick, throwing up all day, became exstremely lathargic, we took him to the vet they told us to put him down, we said no do what you have to, well $2800 later they said they did a million tests and were not exactly sure what he had, they thought it may be Pancreatitis (sp).

But he was better, not throwing up, starting gaining a little weight. They put him on Medi Cal hypoallergenic cat food. We are not big fans of Medi-cal so we did go to our natural pet food store and try a bunch of different brands, wellness, evo, CA natural, innova etc..... They didnt work he got sick again.

So does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on food that would work for this cat? He cant eat anything or he throws up..... He can sorta eat the Medi Cal.

Anyone else have a cat like this?
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Did the vet send blood out for a fPLI test?

Is it dry or canned that he is eating?

Many cats with pancreatitis do well on some of the canned Merrick flavours, which are lower in fat than most of the other canned commercial options. Fat plays a role in dogs developing pancreatitis, less so for cats, but it doesn't hurt to try. Something else to consider would be making your own raw diet.

Is your cat on painkillers for the pancreatitis? That is probably the most important aspect of treatment, as the pain can be excruciating.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Did the vet send blood out for a fPLI test?

Is it dry or canned that he is eating?

Many cats with pancreatitis do well on some of the canned Merrick flavours, which are lower in fat than most of the other canned commercial options. Fat plays a role in dogs developing pancreatitis, less so for cats, but it doesn't hurt to try. Something else to consider would be making your own raw diet.

Is your cat on painkillers for the pancreatitis? That is probably the most important aspect of treatment, as the pain can be excruciating.
Yes the vets took blood and urine test and sent them out and took some other fulids from inside him and tested them. He was there for a week and they NEVER confirmed pancreatitis, they just said they couldnt find anything else wrong with him and were almost sure it was pancreatitis.

He is acctually my moms cat, so I dont know all the exact things that were done, but I do know they did everything under the sun, he was litterally dieing and some how they brought him back to life.

The kitty (Siam) is not on painkillers. I think we should talk to the vet about getting him some, he is so sad and sick when he has one of his attacks..... they usually last a couple days, then he gets better again. I wonder why the vet never reccomened pain killers in the first place???

He is eating the dry medical food. My mom tried the wet and he wouldnt touch it.

Merrick flavours??? I am going to go look those up online.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!!!

Do you have a cat with this?

They say its more common in siamese cats.... well Siam is siamese
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar View Post
Do you have a cat with this?
No, but I know of many people that do. It frequently goes hand-in-hand with diabetes (my cat is diabetic and I spend a lot of time on the feline diabetes message board). Here is some more info for you: http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Pancreas.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No, but I know of many people that do. It frequently goes hand-in-hand with diabetes (my cat is diabetic and I spend a lot of time on the feline diabetes message board). Here is some more info for you: http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Pancreas.html
Thanks so much for the info and the link

What kind of painkillers were you talking about? My mom wants to tell the vet all this information
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar View Post
What kind of painkillers were you talking about?
For cats, I think Buprenex or a Fentanyl pain patch are probably the least noxious options. Many vets prescribe Metacam but this one is riskier and can cause renal failure.

Old June 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
For cats, I think Buprenex or a Fentanyl pain patch are probably the least noxious options. Many vets prescribe Metacam but this one is riskier and can cause renal failure.

Thank you! We will be asking our vet about these painkillers for him, see if we should get some for the little guy. When he has an attack its so sad... We would love to make it easier for him.