Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Antibiotic BAYTRIL

Okay...

So 6 month old Abby (who I mentioned in a previous thread had been taken to the Doc for what I thought could be a UTI, but ended up getting x-rayed for stones)

Well... the antibiotic he put her on is baytril.
I searched the web and pretty much found that this is an antibiotic that is given just to animals.

Does anyone have a dog who takes baytril, or kidney stone problems, etc???
Maybe I did not search deep enough.
Can anyone tell me what they know from experience about this antibiotic and stones?

THANKS!!!!!
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Experience with Baytril...but not with stones

All 6 of our dogs have been on Baytril at one time or another...and some of our past dogs have, also. We had a springer once who took one every night as a preventive measure for recurring UTIs. It's a very good broad-spectrum antibiotic and it's one that our dogs have tolerated really well in the past--and English Setters are not known for tolerating meds very well...not our English Setters, anyway.

It's best if given on a less-full stomach so an hour before or two hours after a meal.

Did you have a specific question about it?
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Actually one question that immediately comes to mind is...

How long before you notice a difference once they've been on it.
Like Abby is peeing in not okay/weird places, where she really knows better.
I imagine that has been her way of saying...
HEY, SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT!! (In dog language)

So the vet said we should notice a difference in two to three days... does that sound about how it has been when your dogs have taken it?
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

2-3 days sounds about right

We've had some things clear up faster, but 2 or 3 days is probably average. Does Abby actually have stones or is this really a UTI?
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM

My dog had a UTI and bladder stones when we adopted her. She was being treated for the UTI, but as it wasn't clearing up, the vet x-rayed her and her bladder was full of stones. Poor thing.

The Baytril did seem to be working after just a couple of days, there was way less blood in her urine. But because she had all those stones, she still had urinary problems. She squatted constantly when we were outside, and had all kinds of accidents - including in the waiting room of the vet's when she had just gone outside minutes before. I think they really can't control it well when they are hurting.

She was 100% after the surgery, except... Did your vet mention Spay Incontinence? It's pretty common, too, in spayed females. So once our Maggie was healing, she started going everywhere, all the time, laying down, whatever. So now she's on estrogen pills. Apparently there is a connection between spay incontinence and UTI's/stones. Something to do with the urethra not being closed properly, allowing bacteria to back up into the bladder and kidneys more easily.
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Well...

I left the vets office a couple of ways, kinda understanding, kinda confused and upset, and kinda in shock after spending $130 we did not have to spend
He did the X-ray to make sure there were no stones, and thankfully there we no stones!
He said her ph only off a smidge normal is 7.0 and hers was 7.5, the dip stick did not pick up any evidence of blood, but when he looked at the urine speciman himself he saw just a teny tiny bit of blood... but he said it was nothing to indicate irritation.
He said her sodium something was REALLY high... now I asked a TON of questions that satisfied me then... but now I can't remember a lot.
He said the tests could be off because of Whatever (he did a lot of fancy vet medical talking, not to much pet owner laymans talking) that she should take the baytril for two weeks and asked me to bring in a urine speciman at the end of those two weeks.
My mom (who is a nurse, even though not a nurse of dogs) said perhaps it was a uti and everything was just off. (she was probably trying to make me feel better too though, because I was really upset) Shoot I called her before I called my husband and kids.
One thing I DID ask about though was spaying incontenance.
But I think because of what came back on the urnialysis it through us off that subject.
Now on a side note Abby was spayed in August so she has been fixed for over 6 weeks now (is it weird that I feel like I am in a time warp with her? I feel like we have had her forever now, even though we have only had her since July 5th, but its a good feels like forever)
So if the spaying incontenance would be a problem would it take that long to come up???
Gosh I hope that's not a problem. I am TIRED of being pee'd on in bed... I've washed my sheets 2 times since last wednesday... I am all for crisp clean sheets, but come on!
How much does the estorgen therapy cost??? I am afraid of that too!

On a positive note, I got her a cute new collar and leash today
(looking for little things to make me happy)

Thanks for your input guys!!!
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Baytril is one my favorites when is comes to UTI's tends to work well on all strains of bacteria the first time around and as others mention within 3 days there should be noticable improvement if that is what the problem is.

Abby is also at the age where she could be just be being a little stinker right now and may just need another crash course on potty training again, the cooler weather and rain may be making her decide she does not want to do her business outside. I kinda of went thru with Nikki when she went thru puberty but it is always good to rule out the medical first so you are not correcting them for something they cannot control.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Performance Spaniels

Friend's springer was on it for ear infection issues (reoccuring) found it did more than all the previous ones he'd been on.
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessymoka
How much does the estorgen therapy cost??? I am afraid of that too!
I don't know when spay incontinence might show up, as our dog had it when we got her. But I can tell you that the estrogen drug (Stilbestrol in our case) cost about $1 a pill. I don't know if there are other, cheaper drugs or not, or if our vet is charging the going rate. Anyhoos, our dog is 80lbs, and takes two every 3-5 days. We've gone as long as a week between doses to no bad effect. Apparently some dogs can even be weaned off of it after a while.
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Wow your doggy takes a lot! Jemma (60lbs) gets a pill a week.

They're about $30/28 pills, but they're going up. Nothing major though. You just have to find the right dose for your doggy, too.

But I think you're just dealing with a UTI. Spay incontinence is from the estrogen levels dropping too low. Being that she just got spayed, she'd still probably have quite a bit of estrogen going around. It's also a gradual thing. They just leak once in a while and then it gets more frequent. I think the first time Jemma leaked was when she was a year and a half, and she went on the pills right before she turned 2 (spayed at 6 months).

Last edited by Prin; October 12th, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hmm, have to ask the vet about that one. Maybe that dose was just for this original bottle. Or maybe we'll just start giving her less... Like I said, we've forgotten and gone a week without problems. Worst thing that'll happen is we'll have to wash her doggy bed. This sharing information thing is good!
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We have a dog with spay incontinence but we use phenylpropanolamine (PPA), marketed under the name PROIN 25. Chewable tabs... Lil Belle loves them. She gets one every other day. Not sure what the comparative cost is, but we've had less side-effects than with estrogen. (Just an FYI in case the estrogen gives you trouble down the line...)
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Phenylpropanolamine is also Propalin, which Boo was on for a bit when we first got him. They say there are less side effects, but there aren't.

Rainbow posted the side effects here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30841 (post #4)

The only side effect for the DES pills (that I know of) is bone marrow suppression and it's rare and occurs fairly randomly (i.e. regardless of dose or duration of treatment).

Most vets are putting spay incontinent dogs on propalin and I'm not sure that's the best thing out there. I think whoever is selling it is doing a helluva good job with the marketing (and lying and saying there aren't any side effects, when they're right there on the leaflet in the package).

Last edited by Prin; October 13th, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansel
Hmm, have to ask the vet about that one. Maybe that dose was just for this original bottle. Or maybe we'll just start giving her less... Like I said, we've forgotten and gone a week without problems. Worst thing that'll happen is we'll have to wash her doggy bed. This sharing information thing is good!
What we did was start out with a pill a day for a week, then switched to a pill every other day for a week and so on, gradually decreasing until we got her to the point where she wasn't leaking but the pills were as spaced out as possible. I was told for most dogs it's 1 pill either every week or every two weeks.

It also depends on body fat. The more body fat, the more estrogen can be stored, so less pills are needed.
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
It also depends on body fat. The more body fat, the more estrogen can be stored, so less pills are needed.
Well, shoot, Maggie needs to lose quite a bit of weight. Like 10 or 15lbs. We'll start trying to wean her down and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM

She should tell you when she is overdue... Jemma gets more submissive and loses confidence if it's been too long between pills.