Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM

Pooping in the house

In January I rescued a 8lb poodle. At the time they said is was between 8-12mos old. He was a stray so no history. I work from my home and therefore I'm around most of the day. I have a doggie door and fenced in yard. The problem is Quincy poops in the house. Even after going outside thru the doggie door. When I take him for walks, he just stops and drops. Other dogs I've owned, will circle, sniff and finally find a place to poop. Quincy will stop and poop anywhere, there is no circling or pausing. I am at my wits end on trying to break him of pooping in the house. He always knows he's done wrong, but it continues. He goes outside thru the doggie door and does poo and pee, but still poos in the house in the same spot. I am about ready to relinquish him. I sometimes need to travel, and am concerned about any of my friends "babysitting" him at their house, because of this behavior. I want him to be able to have full reign in my house without having to crate him. I have another 14 1/2 yr old poodle and when I first got him he pooped once in the house and never again. What can I do?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

If you are ready to relinguish him then ensure you contact a good rescue group to take over. They will put the training that is required to get him clean and will find him a forever loving home.

Good luck.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

All dogs are different and require a certain amount of time to learn how to use the washroom. How long have you had him for? If he was a stray, he may have never had the chance to be house-trained properly - and therefore may need more patience and consistancy in order to learn.

Don't forget that he's still a young dog and while house-training needs to be put wherever you want him to learn to go to the bathroom, after he wakes up - after he eats - after he plays. Even if he doesn't "look" like he needs to go to the bathroom, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Remember that regardless of whether or not you have a doggy door, you can't rely on Quincy to go outside if needs to use the washroom. You may have to be the one that takes him out until he learns where to go, the proper way.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks Bailey for responding. I've had Quincy since Jan. so over 7mos. I've tried everything .... blocking off the area in the house he likes to poop in, taking him outside in the yard on a leash and rewarding him when he poops outside. But still he returns to his "area" in the house. The longest time between accidents has been a week. I am trying to fall in love with him, but by emotions have been on such a roller coaster than I am having trouble bonding with him. He's sweet, lovable and a great personality .... but this pooping problem is driving me crazy. I don't want to give him up .... guess it's just my frustration talking. I am an animal lover and have always had little doggies. I have another 14 yrs old blind and deaf poodle, who still manages to find the doggie door and has no accidents. I just wish Quincy would shape up .... I want to have him forever and spoil and love him. I've already spent over $1500 on vets fixing 2 broken legs ... so I am committed to giving him a loving home. Just don't know how to break this bad habit.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Garden nut

Are you free feeding or serving meals at specific times?

If you serve meals at certain times, you can watch and see how long it takes for him to go poo and time the outings accordingly.

If he's nibbling all day long, that's kinda hard to figure out when he might want to go potty.

Give him a bit of raw egg shell broken up in his food. Then start watching the clock and wait for confetti poop. That might give you some indication on how long his digestive system takes to work.

Make him have a schedule. Regular meals at specific times followed by potty outings and even play or walk times. Pretty soon he'll develop his own internal clock and begin to remind you when it's almost meal time.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Pooping in the

Can you restrict him from roaming the whole house, specifically the area he poops in and start training from sratch as if he were a tiny puppy with scheduled outs and walks and lots of verbal rewards.