Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old March 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Boss-lady!

Looking for information on Degu

My daughter really wants to get a pair of Degu (actually, she'd like a colony, but we really don't have that kind of space!). She has done tons of research on them-suitable housing, socialization, diet, potential health problems, exercise requirements-and has a care plan all worked out.

What I'm looking for is first hand knowledge-anyone ever had Degus? Any advice or cautions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM

I think BMDluver has one, but I'm not sure... I don't know anything about them...
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Degus do well in pairs. They tend to be lonely by themselves. You should get at least two....Males, sometimes don't get along the best.

They need a lot of stimulation. They will need a lot of toys and they should be rotated with every clean.

Degus chew, so watch out for that. The best kind of cage for them would be a large rat cage one with no plastic. That way, they won't chew through it. They love wheels.
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Hi
I have a second year vet student boarding at my house. She has three degus that I have babysat while she is away. She has the mother and two daughters. She previously had a breeding pair but found it too hard to give the babies away. Anyway she keeps them in a large metal cage with 3 floor to it. She attaches wooded clothes pegs to the cage for them to chew. They also like bitter food such as endive lettuce. You must give them food specifically for degus. THey do tend to poop on their bedding and will pee on each other. Very strange habit. They are funny little things and they make a chirping noise like little birds. She had two wheels in their cage which they use constantly. You may want to keep them in a separate room at night because they can be noisey. I don't think you are to use shavings in the cage as the dust can give them lung problems. Shredded newspaper is the best. They will shred to make bedding. They also need a place to hide in the cage. The student hangs a cloth hammock from the top of the cage and covers the top with newspaper. She also attaches small cardboard boxes for them to nest in. You do have to change these because they tend to chew them . All in all I think they are fairly easy to care for. You do need to change them on a regular basis because they can become quite stinky.
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks for the info, guys! Seems like my daughter did her research well (which was a condition of getting rodents ), since she found most of this out. Good for her! The bit about them being stinky is news, though. Well, they will be living in her room, so that should be extra motivation for VERY regular cleaning (beyond Mom's nagging, of course ). Thanks again and I will share this thread with her.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Degu...hee hee hee...thatsa funny word.........

degu...hee hee
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Boss-lady!

So is chinchilla . Imagine if I had to say "My daughter has degus and chinchillas." Sounds like some exotic disease .
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
So is chinchilla . Imagine if I had to say "My daughter has degus and chinchillas." Sounds like some exotic disease .

Or maybe a latin dance?

the degu-chinchilla ....cha cha cha....

Old March 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

We have two degus. They are wonderful little creatures and very good with children. What is nice about them as opposed to gerbils or hamsters is that they are busy all day so great for interaction with children. They are easy to maintain and keep clean. They need a wire cage however or they will eat a whole through a plastic base. They love to climb and adore a 12 inch wheel to play on. You must avoid giving them fruit or sweet vegetables as they do not have the ability to convert sugar and it can be lethal over time. I would give degus a .
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Boss-lady!

Thanks, all. You've set my mind at ease that degus are a good choice for her, that she's really, really done her research and that I have a place to go for questions. all around!