Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old November 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Turtle Tank Help

Hey, I believe I've posted on here before about my Red Eared Slider hatchlings. Well, they've gotten a little bigger, but not by much. Both are eating, but one seems to have trouble getting the food into his mouth, and I dont know why.

But anyway, Im moving them into my 30 gallon tank soon, and I was trying to find a suitable hood that has a place for heat and a light, and I found this...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2006+113030

Is this a good thing to use? I cant really find anything else that seems to work as good as this..
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Helicopter Champion

When I had my sliders I found that the light from regular bulbs (not flourescent) worked fine for out of water heat. I had a regular hood that took the small incandecent bulbs. Only downside was that the bulbs did not last long. For water heat, I used a regular submersible heater. When I upgraded to a larger tank, I could only get a hood that took flourescent bulbs. Rather than go with the more expensive 'reptile' lights, I placed a small task light outside the tank pointed toward their platform, which seemed to work alright.

One thing to consider with a heat light is to ensure that you have a glass / plexiglass separation between the light and the main tank. With a heat light (or any other light) the water will evapporate. Mineral deposits will get trapped on the light surface and may smolder when the light is turned on; having a separtation will help to reduce this.

Last edited by Dogastrophe; November 13th, 2005 at 12:26 PM.