Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM

My 1,1/2 year old cat died suddenly

Its not a nice way to introduce myself to this forum, but I feel I need to talk about this, maybe enlighten someone, or get closure.
Our one and a half year old Persian mix cat 'Peanut' died this morning at 8am extremely suddenly. The whole thing took 30 seconds. One minute he was walking normally, the next my girlfriend was calling me over and he was lying on the ground making sounds, chest convusing and completely limp. In less than 30 seconds he stopped moving. It was horrible and I am coming to terms with this sweet/fiesty/loving/happy friend of ours being gone.
I wanted at least some answers, so I did a little research on sudden death in cats, the first article I found about a cat with a heart murmur was exactly the same cat as peanut was [http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9842]. Our cat would breath loudly occasionally but we put it down the the very small nostrils he had. I looked further into sudden death in cats and found that Persians are predisposed to something called 'hypertrophic cardiomyopathy” (HCM). This is a condition in which the muscle of the heart is abnormal, resulting in a thickening of the heart walls in the left ventricle. This is the lower chamber of the heart, responsible for sending blood to the tissues of the body. Death can come from a fatally abnormal heart rhythm.
I thought I'd post this here, I encourage anyone with a Persian to pencil them in for a physical to see if a heart murur is present. I would hate for anyone to go through what I did with ours. Our cat was so healthy and strong and active, and such a condition is not something to take lightly. I believe there are medications to prevent such an episode.
Anyway, hello everyone, its been a tough day. I want to celebrate his life because it was fabulous, and his death was painless. I'll be sure to post a photo of Peanut later so you can all see what he cutie he really was.
Oliver
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM

I am so sorry

Oliver,

I feel for you and your girlfriend. My one and a half year old, Holly, developed acute renal failure two weeks ago. She dropped 5 pounds in three days. She became so sick, so quickly, and now tomorrow, we will probably free her to become the angel she is.

Lisa.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Unhappy So Sorry for your Loss....

SO truly sorry for your dreadful loss, but I had to thank you, for being so thoughtful in this terrible time, to think of others.

Sounds like your baby was very blessed to have you, as you were to have him.

We lost our Josef this fall, to Hepatic Lipidosis. He was only 10.5 years, but sadly it was not quick not painless. Hopefully he has met your furbaby at the Rainbow Bridge....

You are in our thoughts.....

Blessings

Amy
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking it is. If I were in your place, I would certainly contact the breeder you purchased your Persian from and tell her/him what happened? They need to know for their own sake. If you found her at a Rescue, I guess that is another matter.

Persians have various health problems and it is always advisable to check little kittens for heart murmurs. Usually, breeders will not sell a kitten with a murmur so your situation is most unusual and very sad! At least you were there for her!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Buznapper, I found my way here last week after I lost my little one. It dosent matter how we got here we are all here to help you through your grieving period. So Sorrry for your loss. Cal
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I am so sorry for you loss too, and it is good of you in the midst of your grief, to think of others.

Please stay with the board, we can all help you through this and perhaps, in time, you will be ready for another furbaby.
Peanut is well and happy at Rainbow Bridge, and we all take comfort from that

Old February 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Run to the Rainbow Bridge Peanut.
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Momof4and6furries

I'm so sorry for you loss. It's a terrible thing. My sweet Mango died last spring from FIP!

I know a bit about HCM as the ragdoll breed fights it as well. Actually it is present in all breeds and mixed as well, but not always diagnosed. After death a post mortem exam would need to be done to confirm the cause of death.

Definitely if you have a breeder they need to know. There is conclusive evidence that there are genetic links to HCM.

A murmur may or may not mean HCM and the only conclusive diagnosis is through an ultrasound of the heart.

Even a cat with a clean bill of health can suffer a sudden death, so please don't blame yourself at all! It's a good reminder not to neglect the health checks for our furries!
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for your loss of your precious furbaby. It must be so hard feeling so helpless, I truly feel terrible for you but take comfort in knowing you gave this guy a great life no matter how long or short it was. Also Thank you for letting people know about it for their own sake.