Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old March 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Unhappy Sleeping in litterbox, lethargic, etc.

Hi everyone,

I have a 15 year old Persian who just got back from a 2-day vet visit. He had a pretty severe fecal impaction which required 2 enemas (without success) and a manual removal of the feces. The first enema was given on Tuesday, then the 2nd enema and manual removal was done yesterday while he was sedative.

He came back home today, but ever since he's been home, he's been very lethargic, not very alert, trouble walking (like a drunk person), sleeping in his litterbox, no appetite, and tried vomiting a couple times, etc. I moved him over to his bed where I thought he would be much more comfortable, and he's been sleeping ever since.

I'm sure he has a very sore bum, but I would think that the sedative has worn off since yesterday! I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour for a kitty just getting out of the hospital. He's also 15 years old which may have an impact.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Ouch, poor kitty! Have you called your vet to tell them what's going on? Anesthesia can certainly take it's toll on an elderly cat and there is often a longer bounce-back, but I'd be concerned if your cat's appetite doesn't pick up soon. What do you normally feed him? Can you try offering him some plain chicken baby food (no onions) with a little warm water added?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Doggie Wench

your kitty gets better soon .
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM

My senior cat also had a "mild" sedative for manual evacuation at the conventional vets a little over a year ago, I was told the effects would clear in 2-3 hours but it actually took more than 12 hours

If he's not looking better & eating some by early afternoon, I would give the vet a call.

Has your cat had bloodwork & urine tests done in the last year? Any abnormal results?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM

poor kitty
I'll be honest, I don't really know anything about cats (being a dog person myself ).
But with 2 enemas, a sedative, and obviously trouble with extreme constipation, I'd be concerned about fluid levels and dehydration. Is your kitty drinking anything?
Perhaps some room temperature chicken broth would be enticing to him?

Best of luck. That sounds like a lot for the little guy to go through. I hope he feels better soon.