Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old May 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Pet Guardian

Post Kong-stuffer

My dog (Maltese X) loves his Kong. However, he's got a food allergy that we've been trying to diagnose, so buying the store-made Kong stuffing to give him a special treat just is a bad idea. So I got creative. I found things that he likes, that don't make his allergies worse, mixed them together and fussed with the consistency, until I got my home-made, healthy Kong-stuffer.

Here's what I do:
Take 2-3 dry dog cookies (or use kibble; vary depending on size of treat), crunch them up using your fingers, or squishing them with a rolling pin until you have some crumbs & some pieces that are smaller than bites but still in chunks. (If you use kibble, you still need to crunch them up because if they swell with the moisture they might not come out of the Kong).
Add 1-2tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy).
Add 3-4tbsp plain yogurt (one at a time, mixing between each).

Mix in bowl until this is a soft, but not runny paste. Toothpaste-consistency seems to work best. If it's too soft, add more pb, if too thick, add more yogurt.

Stuff in Kong with spoon & give to your dog! I know mine loves me when I give him this.

I have the smallest Kong available so I always have left-overs of this mixture. I just put it in a tupper-ware container and keep it in the fridge. If it's too dry next time, add more yogurt!

Happy Kong-stuffing!
Melissa
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:32 AM

That's a good idea. And not too fatty either.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I do something similar,

I put some kibble and mix it with PB and freeze it inside sams kong

I have actually put some raw ground beef[fresh of course] inside his kong, he loved that, I made sure to runt he kong thru a dishwasher afterwards however to prevent him getting sick later if any bacterian or whatnot was left over

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Silly question....but how do dogs get the treat out? I've heard nothing but great things about kongs, but it seems like its extremely hard if not impossible to get stuff out of it! Maybe I just don't understand how they work. Is one better than the other? Balls or bones or the orginal round kind?

Thanks! Sorry if I went OT!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You can use a coffee grinder to pulverize the kibble as well, it's a bit less messy than the rolling pin.

The idea is for it to be very difficult to get the stuffing out therefore it keeps the dog busy for a long time.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANBshilling
Silly question....but how do dogs get the treat out? I've heard nothing but great things about kongs, but it seems like its extremely hard if not impossible to get stuff out of it! Maybe I just don't understand how they work. Is one better than the other? Balls or bones or the orginal round kind?

Thanks! Sorry if I went OT!

thats the great thing about Kongs, it takes them a good long while to get the reat out, amusing the dog for an extended amount of time.

its great for leaving the house if your dog doesnt like to be let alone, give them a kong stuffed with something or other and it will amuse the dog for awhile.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:58 PM

They lick it forever... That's how they get it out and that's what keeps 'em busy for a loonnng time (hopefully).