Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Prepared Raw Food - Beware, not always best

This is coming from personal experience with my puppy. I'm not bashing urban carnivore, I think its pretty good, but I don't think its the best.

So the story goes like this. A few weeks ago I posted about how my puppy wouldn't tolerate lamb and chicken. Since then he had been on elk and beef and other red meats, all of which were Urban Carnivore brand with no problems. I did try feeding chicken patties again after a while but he got sick again.

The other day I visited a local butcher to see what they carry, because I wanted to start doing home made raw. I explained to him how the puppy didn't tolerate chicken and lamb so he asked where I got the food so I told him it was prepackaged raw. Then he convinced me to try his chicken, he filled up a big bag and even gave it to me for free. My dog has been great since then. Actually he did vomit once but I'm 99.9% certain it was because I mixed in raw chicken & bones with beef liver on the second day. Other than that incident he has been great and he really likes the food.

So take it with a grain of salt, maybe I got a bad batch, maybe my dog doesn't like all the things that they grind into the food, I don't know. I do feel better about feeding him fresh ingredients I can actually see.

I thought I should post this since there are a lot of people with questions on prepackaged raw.

Critique/comments welcomed.