Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Introducing PK& Marta..need help with weight loss!

Hi All

Many of you may remember the little kittie I feed while her owners are away. Its the little gal that hates me! :sad: Anyway, we found her a friend to keep her company while her owner is away. He goes away for a week at a time and felt bad for his little girl so he adopted a friend for her!

I am happy toreport the intros went well and both kitties get along! Marta the new kitty actually made it really simple! she is such a love bug its unreal!

When I go over she purrs her heart out! she snorts she purrs so loud!

Marta was delivered with just a bag of purina cat chow and nothing else! Her previous owner was given the ultimatum it was his girlfriend of the cat!! so I guess we know the Marta lost that one! but she will be sooooo much better off with her new onwer who loves her to bits!

Marta is most definately overweight! not sur of her exact weight but my guess would be about 15 lbs...Her new owner feeds her mostly wet and a bit of dry. She is a food hound! she will follow you al over if she thinks your feeding her. As soon as I place her food down she is eating it! She loves soft food! we dont know if she ever was fed that but she certainly likes it! But she is very different than her other kitty in the home who eats very little. The owner has had to raise the dishes for PK because Marta would eat all her food!

So my question is:

1) How much should she be eating per day?

2) Any idea of how to excercise a kitty thats overweight?

Just in 2 weeks her coat looks much better...she has horrible poops though! very soft but formed a bit?

Here are some pics of them both...PK is the black kitty and Marta is the tabby....
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

a couple more
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Marta is a classic tabby!! Now I know what Dayle would look like if she ever got chubby. She won't. She's too finicky of an eater.
If Marta was on cat chow and not much canned with her other owner and is now on just a good quality canned she should drop some weight on her own. She should be eating between 250 to 300 calories a day. Normally one small can or there abouts. Some cans have the calorie content on them. Dry is nothing but pure carbs. Cats need protein, not carbs.
For toys you could get a laser light, a wand, anything interactive that you can drag behind you or wave in front of her to get her moving.

Love PK!!!
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks 14+ she is sooo loving! PK on the other hand is a personality in herself! she likes to draw blood when I am around! See how she is perched up on the cat tree! observing everything!

Marta is eating wellness canned and a small amount or Orijen kibble. I will have to check tonight on the label to see the calories! I think she has already lost a bit of weight but not 100% sure...just going from looks! she is moving around better too!

The other day I was playing with her and a feather and she rolled over well OMG you should have seen her face! she looked amazed and likely hadnt done that before!

PK is the one that I wish I new why she hates me so?? :sad:
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

heres another cute one!

she loves that carrot!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She does need to lose a little but I bet give her a couple of months and she will lose it. She is so pretty.
PK - she's a bit of a mystery. She probably feels like you are responsible for her losing her last home. Now she isn't going to trust you to get near her.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,what a beautiful tabby and little miss PK is pretty too.
I am surprised you got 2 females to get along right off the bat
I am sure with Marta on better food,she'll lose some weight,she does not look too chubby to me
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico she is most definately overweight..she has a tiny bum a beach ball tummy and a wee little head! but cute as a button. She is such a loving cat and PK although she HATES me! she seemed to be okay with Marta right off the bat. We found out a little history on Marta and she had 1 litter before the Animal Welfare people rescued her and one her kitties is identical to PK! so I wonder if she thinks it was her kitten?? maybe not but its like Marta is starving for affection from the day my friend got her!

I fed them again tonight and I think she is loosing some weight...however her poops are another story! tonight it was a mudpie! the past few days were better than today.

As soon as he is back home I think he will be getting her checked out anyway. She needs a microchip and a health check!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well little miss Marta had her vet check yesterday! She rang in at 10.1 lbs which I still cant believe! Vet is doing aa stool sample check. Thinks she is in good health. My friend and I thought that she may have a vision problem but vet doesnt think so! She has had a few accidents in the house but not everyday. THe vet he didnt think it was bladder or urine problems just her getting used to her surroundings..we will see if it continues!

She is soooo happy too!

So my question then is how much should she be fed?

Here is a picture we received of her when she was in the rescue about 1 yr old and a pic of her now!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey folks !

Need some food help!

Marta as I mentioned is overweight and we are trying to find a way of helping her out. She is and has been having really soft poops for the past 3 weeks or so..Well actually since she came to her final forever home!!! It started off almost like a soft formed poop and then gradually has changed day by day! Now it is really runny almost like water and she has large poops! I know too much info! So vet ran a stool sample and it came back perfectly fine?? So of course the vet has now recommended a food change to Hills Gastro? not sure if its wet or dry? Martas owner does not want to feed that crap! I have been educating him as best I can with food things??

Anyway when she was dropped of she was dropped of with 1/2 bag of purina cat chow....:sad: which was promptly thrown out and replaced with Wellness Canned and Orijen Dry....We have no idea if she was fed any wet at all but she LOVES it! she is a FOOD HOUND!! she will follow you all over the house till you feed her. She ALWAYS eats the wet and just nibbles on kibble..

She has also had some inappropriate peeing but think that that is her adjusting to the new home and stuff. The vet said she has no bladder issues either? Just this morning she pee'd in his bathtub???

So we are stuck now trying to figure out what would be comparable to a GASTRO type food? any suggestions?

Also does pumpkin work to help bind up cats? if so how much for a 10lb cat?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hi Winston, I can't believe I missed this whole thread .

I am sure SCM and Growler will have some excellent adivce.

Here is what I have done for Jasper:

When I got him he was on crap kibble (PC Nutrition 1st, I know I was ignorant before Growler and SCM educated me). He had the worst poops, runny, stinky along with itchy eyes that he scratched until they bled. Got him off all grain food and onto Orijen. His poops did get better, no more scratching his eyes so he was definitely allergic to grains.
His poops were still very soft and stinky on orijen, so I changed him to Wellness canned, grain free and they got a lot better. He still had frequent "episodes" of very stinky poops and soft stools.

The best poops I can get out of him is Nature's Variety Instinct canned (no potatoes or carb fillers) along with home made raw. I find he still has the very occasional "episode", but I am able to clear him up very quickly by sprinkling some slippery elm bark over his food for a day. It works like a charm. I know some cats can't handle carbs very well and I think Jasper is one of them.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I might add that he lost all his excess weight too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

L4H or SCM how do I know how much to give the cat?

They store that sells it says it is in a capsul form and the capsule is 370mg per capsule. They said you can just break open the capsule and sprinkle it on....I am not sure how many to use and how often?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I sprinkle about 1/4 to 1/3 capsule on his food per serving, he gets fed three times a day.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)