Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM

My Pet Beagle Only Pees In my Hallway, not on pad and not outside.any advise?

Hi everyone, i got a beagle which is about 12 weeks old. i just got him about 4 days ago. the first 2 days was great, he peed on his pad that i set up on the bathroom and behaved very well. he just pooped in my hallway, mom's room, and living room.

i got him neutered on the 3rd day. Ever since then, he stopped peeing on the pad. he continues to pee and poo especially in my hallway. i try to discourage him by in a dissapointed voice, but it doesnt seem to work. Most of the time i caught him in the act so i grabbed him right away and put him on the pad but he would never pee again.

ALSO, i have NEVER seen him PEE or POO outside the house, and i take him out for walks 4 times a day for 25minutes each time.

can anyone tell me a better way of handling this??? thank you.
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM

I find the my dog goes to the washroom in the same spot on my bathroom floor, I have learned to put the puppy pad there and he has gone on there ever since.
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Have you cleaned the spot with something like Nature's Miracle? If not, he can still smell the pee there and will continue to pee in the same place. Also, every time he pees and/or poos outside, give him a treat to make him want to pee outside. He's very young, so he can't hold it for very long yet.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockenwolle View Post
Have you cleaned the spot with something like Nature's Miracle? If not, he can still smell the pee there and will continue to pee in the same place. Also, every time he pees and/or poos outside, give him a treat to make him want to pee outside. He's very young, so he can't hold it for very long yet.
ahhh maybe thats why. he seems to poo at the same spot everytime lol. its my first time having a dog so i want him to be trained very well. i will go to petsmart tomorrow and buy a pee scent removal and try it again =D

also, i have never ever seen him pee or poo outside. thanks for the advice!
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM

You should watch his signals when he pees or poops in the house. Different dogs do different things, so watch him like a hawk. My dog starts to whine and pace before the kitchen door when she has to go. When she does that, I know it's time to run out to the backyard since she has to go.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLCHO View Post
ahhh maybe thats why. he seems to poo at the same spot everytime lol. its my first time having a dog so i want him to be trained very well. i will go to petsmart tomorrow and buy a pee scent removal and try it again =D

also, i have never ever seen him pee or poo outside. thanks for the advice!
He's probably just marking his territory. You'll probably notice that he'll pick the "clean" spots to go on... After cleaning, you can probably use a pee scent removal, or a homemade vinegar/water mix that'll neutralize the smell of the cleaning products.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLCHO View Post
Hi everyone, i got a beagle which is about 12 weeks old. i just got him about 4 days ago. the first 2 days was great, he peed on his pad that i set up on the bathroom and behaved very well. he just pooped in my hallway, mom's room, and living room.

i got him neutered on the 3rd day. Ever since then, he stopped peeing on the pad. he continues to pee and poo especially in my hallway. i try to discourage him by in a dissapointed voice, but it doesnt seem to work. Most of the time i caught him in the act so i grabbed him right away and put him on the pad but he would never pee again.

ALSO, i have NEVER seen him PEE or POO outside the house, and i take him out for walks 4 times a day for 25minutes each time.

can anyone tell me a better way of handling this??? thank you.
Keep this in perspective.

You JUST got him 4 days ago. You haven't spent any time with/on this puppy yet. He's not even quite settled into your home, so don't make any judgements about him just yet.

As far as the never seeing him pee or poo outside the house, that's pretty common for a brand new puppy. You haven't had him on a feeding and potty schedule very long yet. That is the first thing you should do.

ALWAYS have puppies on a feeding schedule if possible, believe me it will make it MUCH easier. If you feed at the exact same time every single day then you'll know about when he has to poo every single day. It will eventually be pretty much like clockwork. Feed about 3 times a day.

I would honestly recommend discarding the pee pads if possible. I know people that use these for small dogs that have trouble making it outside, but it shouldn't be necessary for your beagle. Is there a reason you're using them? Unless you have a disability and can't get outside or your puppy has a health issue it is always better to take them outside because they never learn it's ok to go in the house. I've never used pee pads, they're not a necessary part of training.
Also, keep him away from the hall if possible. If it's his favorite spot to go just don't give him the chance of going there. If that's not possible, ALWAYS hurry him past that spot and don't give him the option to stop and even think about it.

Take puppies out about every 10-15 min. This can seem like A LOT, but puppies have very little bladder control yet, even a 3 month old, especially if you haven't put much time into potty training yet. You didn't mention crate training and I highly recommend that even though you can train without.
With a crate the puppy is never unsupervised in the house (and from your posts it sounds like he has to be unsupervised part of the time to have consistent accidents in specific places like that - don't worry you will get more used to watching for the "signs" as someone else mentioned the longer you have him). You can take him outside, if he doesn't go potty he goes into the crate. If he goes he gets treats, praise and some supervised free time in the house until the next potty break, and then repeat.

Keep a leash on him at ALL times, this will help when you catch him. If you catch him so much as LOOKING like he's going to potty on something grab the leash and immedatiately say "OUTSIDE!" (You can substitute something like "PAD" if you absolutely must use the pads) and take him out. If he does his business then give lots of treats and praise. If he does not do his business bring him back in the house and either put him in his crate or keep him near you by holding the leash. Take him outside after about 10-15 mins and try again. Repeat this process until he goes potty outside.

You shouldn't have many issues if you're consistent with this and very strict about where the puppy is allowed to be in the house.

To summarize:

1. Puppy should never be out of your site unless crated.

2. Puppy shouldn't have roam of house even while supervised, until trustworthy. Try to keep him in one or two rooms and always near an exterior door to get him outside quickly as possible. If you just let him follow you around the house off leash it's WAY too easy to forget to watch him closely because you'll get distracted by other stuff.

3. Puppy should always be on leash during potty training stage.

4. ALWAYS give treats and praise when he goes outside or on pad (I understand you haven't seem him go yet, but believe me this will change soon).

# 4 is actually your main problem. Until you get him to go outside you can't show him what the RIGHT thing to do is. Once you get him to go outside even once things should go much more smoothly.

I hope this info helps. I've raised 2 puppies (at once) and potty trained a friend's at my house, and also helped many other friends and family with their dog's potty training. I haven't had any issues and as long as you're persistent and patient you shouldn't either
Do keep in mind that some dogs can take a pretty long time to potty train fully. It depends on the individual dog (one of my dog's took until about year old before she got full control of her bodily functions), so try not to get frustrated with them.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; July 31st, 2009 at 12:39 AM.