Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM

Worried About Leaving Cat Alone While on Holidays - Tips Please!

My Husband and I are going away for about 10 days and will be leaving our cat home alone. I have two friends coming in, one in the morning, one at night to feed and water him and scoop his box. I've heard horror stories of cats going to the bathroom all over the house because they're upset that they're alone. I'm very worried this might happen with mine. He is a very clean cat and always uses his box. He is also very affection and cuddly and follows me everywhere so I know he will be very lonely. Just wondering what others have experienced when leaving their babies alone and any tips that might assure a good outcome to this. I feel soooo guilty leaving him. He's only ever been left alone one night and that's only happened twice. He is 3 1/2 years old.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
chronically insane.

I petsit professionally (as my own sort of hobby business). In all honesty, cat's really don't care when you are away. I've had one cat that has just avoided me the entire time just because she is anti-social, but psshtt when you're away your kitty is just going to be thinking about napping in the sun until you return

Always ensure someone is going to be checking on him daily and you are fine. I hate when people leave their cats alone for 24+ hours without anyone checking on them. Is something going to happen? Probably not. But what if he tips over his water dish. He just goes a few days without water?

Don't worry on it too much. Invest in some extra toys, especially with catnip. See about some interactive toys to keep him occupied... they have ones where the ball spins around on the track. My cats love that! You can also have Rescue Remedy added to the water which helps some cats.

If you can, set a timer on the TV or radio to have it on for a few hours each day just for some background noise. I always include mail pick-up, watering houseplants and opening/closing blinds in my petsitting duties just as a courtesy, so it doesn't look like you are on holiday

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM

I recently left my 2 cats for 3 weeks with a sitter. There is a thread here about it, but the short story is that they both did well. Leave some stuff around with your scents on it for kitty, and some toys... with good sitters he should be fine.
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Brown View Post
I recently left my 2 cats for 3 weeks with a sitter. There is a thread here about it, but the short story is that they both did well. Leave some stuff around with your scents on it for kitty, and some toys... with good sitters he should be fine.
Here you go. Good advice. It worked well. Just make sure you have friends you know you can trust. Maybe get them to email or text you once or twice while you are gone so you are reassured.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71458

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:19 AM

I recently cat-sat for my sister for a week. As soon as I got in the house the cat led me right to his food dish, with some loud meowing!
As long as he got fed, he seemed fine.
The horror stories are probably rare. Cats seem to adjust well.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have left my cats home with somebody coming in to feed them and did not come home to any problems. Just make sure the person coming in is well trusted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey