Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM

Unhappy Female in Heat what to do Please read

My uncle owns 4 boxers. He had to leave the country in an Emergency as his Daughter was hurt and they needed him there right away. He called me to ask if for a few days I can watch his boxers. Well his daughter is not getting better and he has to stay it looks like a few more weeks. One of his female boxers is in heat and since my uncle only breeds her once ever year or 2 he dose not want her to mate as she just had her litter in Sept. They are house pets who all sleep on there own King size bed together. The other night I locked the females in another room and the one in heat she barked all night and tore up the carpet. I had to leave in the middle of the night just to get sleep. Last night I tried leaving the females outside in the kennel but the cops came saying people complained she was barking. During the day yesterday the male tried to mount the female did a few pumps I yelled stomped my foot and they seperated. Am I too late did I let me uncle down. I have not been able to contact him the last week as he went into surgury to give his daughter a kidney and is not recovering well or I would ask him how he keeps them seperated what can I do to keep them seperated and keep her quite I am about to do crazy from lack of sleep and I think my uncle is going to kill me for the tore up carpet. Please if anyone has any suggestions please help. Oh and is it normal for the female who is in heat to not bleed alot just a few drops here and there when I first ask my uncle if she was in heat he said yes for her that is normal but I wanted to make sure because I remember when I was younger and my parents raised poodles they bleed alot more but I can tell yes this female is in heat at first I was not sure but her you know is swolen and she was licking it alot. The male was getting instrested and at first she did not want his near her but now she rubs up against him so I try to keep they apart one outside during the day the other inside. These dogs just don't like being outside at night and I do not blame them its cold thow they do have a doggy door to the garage and a huge bed in there but still hate being outside. Sorry this got long I just know its not healthy for her to have anothr little so soon after the last and when I told my uncle she was in heat he ask me to please prevent the pregnancy. I thought it would be easy so I did not ask but I am finding out how hard it realy is.
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I have heard stories of male dogs going through walls to get to a bitch in heat. This is nothing to be taken lightly and soon you may well have every male dog in the neighbor hood at your door.

Honestly, if I were you, I would call my uncle's vet and see if he could board the bitch. While it might cost your uncle, it would be cheaper in the long run than a problem pregnancy.
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the idea of boarding her is an excellent one.

Does your uncle have a vet? Maybe the vet can board her, or even tell you whether she got impregnated from that "brief encounter." I'm not sure if they can tell with a blood test or anything...I do know that a bitch can be spayed while in the early stages of pregnancy; I'm not sure if that would be something to consider.