Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Bad behaviour when I'm gone

So my 7 year old Manchester has taken up bad behaviour when I'm gone for long periods. He used to do agility and goes for several walks a week. He is very stimulated with lots of people in the home all the time. He has his very close buddy my Boston whom he bonded with great. He did lose his nanny dog my golden a few years ago. So when I go away overnight or the weekend, he had taken up excessive howling and urinating on everyone elses stuff. They assure me that he is taken care of the same way as usual. He is quite bonded with me (actually the rest of the family think it's a little excessive) I feed him usually, I walk him usually. I think your gonna tell me to let other family members take over some of these things (been watchin a lot of dog training shows) Any advice? This breed has definately been challenging in lots of ways.....
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Sounds like separation distress.

You need to work with him on the length of time you're gone in small doses. Try it on weekends or days off. Leave for 2 hrs, come home. Leave for 2.5 hrs come home. ect, keep increasing the time.

DO NOT greet him when you come home. If you greet him "oh, hi boy, hello, such a good boy" You're making him WANT you to come home even more cause the greeting is SO GREAT! He sits in anticipation waiting for that greeting when you come home

IGNORE him completely. Once he lays down on his own and looks like he's forgotten about you, call him over and give him a little pet," good boy". And thats it, then continue with your day.

What always helps is setting up a camera and seeing how long it takes and the behaviour he's exhibiting to determine that it is indeed SD.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

So funny thing is, it's started at 7 years of age Also I've never worked outside of my home. So I'm home toooo much. Great life for a dog. You know another thing is he chases me when I go out ever since a young dog and cups my ankles with his feet as if to try and stop me. I believe separation for sure but I guess it's escalating a little..