Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree that the most horrible places in hell, should be reserved for people who treat animals like that!
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

It's a disgusting practice and shameful.

His name is mud for sure. I hope the only job he can ever get after this is cleaning out portable toilets.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Why he did it!!!!!! Cause he is a sick ******* with to much $$.What was it 10 year 130 million dollar contract.There are some things i want to say that i have noticed,but i would be considered racist which i dont think i am,but with this pitbull fighting stuff there is one thing that does stand out.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7039418?MSNHPHMA
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb

Hi!

I was able to get a link of the podcast of the show yesterday in case anyone wants to hear exactly what he said.

I posted it here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....340#post454340

and quoted what I posted below to make it easier for you.

Quote:
The podcast was posted today and I listed to it a few times to get the wording more precise.

To hear what he said, go here:

http://graphics.boston.com/sports/ne...e10_071907.mp3

It is Question#7 and is about 3/4 of the way through the podcast. You can fast forward through it once it loads...

As close to his exact words as I can pull from the tape as he kind of stutters/talks fast in parts were, "The only thing that wouldn't revolt people is the whole pit bull thing. You know whenever I even hear the name you say oh ya ya I can't be around it. but what were they doing, they were electrocuting them..."
Although after hearing it one time earlier I could not get it exactly right, I think that I came pretty close in meaning... used cringed instead of revolt...

And yes, Bob Ryan was totally sympathetic for the dogs involved and was really repulsed by the whole thing. I think that you lose something in the audio as you cannot see the body language... as Bob Ryan was really animated when he was speaking of the atrocities of this case when Kevin Dupont butted in with his "lovely and appropriate" comment.

Take care.

Last edited by ChancesMom; July 20th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
His good name is at stake. Also, allowing Vick to concentrate on his court case keeps him off the field, which ultimately benefits the NFL.

His good name is at stake? Is this columnist kidding? This guy has been trouble since he got into the sport! There is NO good name to be at stake!
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I know pretty unbelieveable isnt it.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM

I read a post on the first page i believe that said dogfighting is a felony in the US. Unfortunately GA is one of only 2 states where it is only a misdemeanor. Even if he is convicted it won't be too serious (i don't know what the punishment is for a misdemeanor).

The good news is that I don't see him playing for the Falcons much longer. Everyone in Atl either loves vick or hates him, now this is comes out. All anyone has been talking about around here has been Vick and wanting him to be convicted/suspended from the NFL.

keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by skeetsh00ter; July 20th, 2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well he was indicted by a grand jury. I can't imagine too many places that would let you keep your job after something like that happens.

Wasn't it not too many years ago when people worried about being role models and were held to high standards if they were in the public eye ?? Now it seems that some of these people are just horrible nasty brats.
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetsh00ter View Post
I read a post on the first page i believe that said dogfighting is a felony in the US. Unfortunately GA is one of only 2 states where it is only a misdemeanor. Even if he is convicted it won't be too serious (i don't know what the punishment is for a misdemeanor).

The good news is that I don't see him playing for the Falcons much longer. Everyone in Atl either loves vick or hates him, now this is comes out. All anyone has been talking about around here has been Vick and wanting him to be convicted/suspended from the NFL.

keep your fingers crossed.
Actually, the only two States where dogfighting is a misdemeanor are Wyoming and Idaho. That is irrelevant anyway as Vick is currently facing FEDERAL charges and according to the FEDERAL government - dogfighting is a felony.

Federal Prosecuters have a nasty little habit of making sure they have a damn good case against someone before they indict and their conviction rate is currently running at about 95%.

I am very glad that this is a Federal case being handled by Federal prosecutors and Federal investigators. This whole thing came to light when local law enforcement went to Vick's property to arrest a cousin on drug charges. Had the local law enforcement community been left alone to deal with this - it would have been swept under the rug. The local D.A. had a search warrant for the same property that the Feds searched but he declined to serve it - claiming lack of man power! Of course - now that the Feds have done all the work - you can expect that the local D.A. will be asking the local Grand Jury to indict Vick when they come into session on the 24th of this month.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:24 AM

yeah, my bad about those facts. I was getting things confused. It's still not a felony in GA to breed a dog for fighting or attend a dog fight as it is in some other states. But I guess none of that even matters since it happened in Virginia and is now a Federal case.

thanks for the correction LavenderRott.
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Whether these dogs are Goldens or Am-Staffs,this is a horrific case of animal-cruelty,done by people who take sadistic pleasure in seeing animals bleed.
I don't know who this person is,I am not interested in football,but I am hoping,because sportsfigures are often heroes to kids,the NFL,Nike and the Feds will do the right thing.
With enough people screaming for justice for these poor animals hopefully MR VICK,will live to regret his evil deeds.
Please keep us posted on any new developments..
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband told me that Nike is pulling all ads featuring Vick.
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

heres another petition link http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/354020737
Not sure how much good these things do but it cant hurt.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM

Thank you baby, I have signed both petitions I have seen listed here.

Take care.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Signed and emailed to all my contacts
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

There was an itty-bitty little article in the Toonto Star yesterday,nothing about the killing of these poor animals,just that Vick is under investigation for "sponsoring"dog-fights.
Also they mentioned there were about 50 ANIMAL-ACTIVISTS protesting..
I hate it when,because we do not want animals tortured and abused,we are called animal-activists,it's almost like a four-letter word to some people
The Toronto Star is a chicken-poop paper for not writing the whole story
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM

Chico,

I agree about animal-activists being a 4 letter word to some people!

I also do not think that a person has to be an animal-activists to protest about something so blatantly cruel and violent. In fact, every person should be protesting about this!

Animal cruelty, while cruel in itself on every level, often leads to "human cruelty."

A person who is willing to forcibly put an animal to death by pouring water on him and electrocuting him is snuffing out a life... a life that was not his to take. And I personally do not think it is that much of a stretch between doing that to a 60 pound dog or a 60 pound child...

If my opinions put me in the category of animal-activism, then I guess I must have joined when I wasn't looking...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom View Post
Chico,

I agree about animal-activists being a 4 letter word to some people!

I also do not think that a person has to be an animal-activists to protest about something so blatantly cruel and violent. In fact, every person should be protesting about this!

Animal cruelty, while cruel in itself on every level, often leads to "human cruelty."

A person who is willing to forcibly put an animal to death by pouring water on him and electrocuting him is snuffing out a life... a life that was not his to take. And I personally do not think it is that much of a stretch between doing that to a 60 pound dog or a 60 pound child...

If my opinions put me in the category of animal-activism, then I guess I must have joined when I wasn't looking...
I agree with you 100%

It sickens me to see some people ignoring this simply because it happened to an animal. As if that's an excuse. Animals are precious living beings. We have to protect them, especially our pets.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
My husband told me that Nike is pulling all ads featuring Vick.
I hope thats true, I saw a list somewhere of his sponsers, it was quite extensive! Ill try and find it again... People were being enouraged to express their concerns to the sponsers.. I think I know who they are but Id better make sure before I post.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

According to my email from the Humane Society:

"Thank you so much for urging the NFL to suspend Michael Vick. As of this writing, the league has inexplicably refused to take that step, but we are are keeping the pressure on.

I'm writing you now to update you on the latest developments and, most importantly, to ask you today to urge Nike to drop Michael Vick"

The link to tell Nike is here: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/..._source=gaba7g

Diane
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
-

I heard a good comment today on the radio by a sport spokeman here in Montreal , he said : this guy SHOULD get the 5 years maximum jail time , in a cell , alone with several hungry Rottweilers.

I was glad that not all of them think this is not so bad just because the guy is a quaterback.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Kitty pimp

from associated press

YORK - Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons' training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.

ADVERTISEMENT

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay
This is a joke. So he gets to stay home and still has money coming in
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
This is a joke. So he gets to stay home and still has money coming in
He should be made to donate all of it to abused animals!!! Sick F$%K I hope he gets the max and loses his job (But I guess if he didn't have the NFL, he woud just go into dog fighting full time!!!)

May he get what he deserves!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I read in todays Star,the Atlanta Falcons have told Vick to stay away from camp until further notice,also Nike is pulling the"Air Vick V"shoe from production.
As for him still getting paid,it's not like he is a grocery-clerk,he has a multi-multi million $$$ contract,a "star"player,it's going to take a BIG voice for the animals for him to get kicked off the NFL.
I also see PETA is involved,their record regarding pitties is not so great
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't these people have moral's clauses in those contracts? Seriously, with the way these sports figures are walking around thinking they can do whatever they want, they should not be allowed to do these kinds of things and still make money.

Hit them where it counts, in their wallet!

I pray this guy never again. That money will be gone soon, people like to live large and when it's gone, he should never be allowed to make any kind of a living again and for that matter, should never ever be allowed to own so much as a mosquito for a pet!
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

The commissioner of the NFL has ordered Michael Vick to stay away from training camp.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290515,00.html

He'll never play in the NFL again.

Cowperson
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the league finally got the message that this is alot bigger than they imagined. I'm not crazy about Peta either, Chico, but if they threaten to mount a demo at every game where this creep plays, I'm happy.
Meanwhile, Vick doesn't get to strut and preen for the crowds, which is a BIG part of the ego trip he is on.
His hearing is on Thursday.

Rick, I hope you're right. Maybe this will galvanize the authorities to go after all the other bubbas who engage in this evil 'sport'.

Last edited by badger; July 24th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I read they picked up about 60 dogs from his property,incuding dog-fighting parafenila(sp?)it will be a little difficult for this moron to prove his innocence.
Badger,I agree,except PETA once said ALL pitties should be destroyed.