Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

Angry Designer Mutts...

I'm sure you all know about "Designer Mutts"- dogs like the Schnoodle and Labradoodle. I really wish that people would stop breeding them.

If it was for work- say someone bred a Great Dane and some kind of terrier to hunt, or a Golden Retriever and a Poodle as a water retriever, fine. But if you're breeding dogs just to look pretty and earn the breeder a couple thousand bucks...that is just wrong.

I know someone who went into a Designer Mutt breeder and walked out with a Cockapoo- I waited SIX MONTHS for my Chow Chow, and every time I went there, the breeder asked questions about my pets, my home..etc.

Also, the price of a good, purebred dog helps cover the cost of health testing and things. The price of a Designer Mutt helps the breeder breed more unhealthy puppies to sell to homes that don't know much about dogs at all.

I think I have made my point.
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

sometimes people dont know that buying a designer mutt is wrong

I knew nothing about designer dogs when I started here, in fact ive got a bichon/poodle cross,

I diddnt get him because he was a designer mutt, I got him because he needed a home

but I could ahve easily made the mistake that many others make, gee thats a cute dog

and pay out the money to get one.

unfortunatly it happens,

when people know better they do better

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Here are some new designer breeds;

Colonial Spaniel cross of american and english cocker spaniel. I believe there is one of those at the ecs rescue

comfort retreiver a cross of a cocker spaniel and golden retriever, looks like a small retriever how cute!

http://www.dakotaeranch.com/puppies/...r.htm#colonial

http://www.ecsca.org/currentrescue.h...rolina:_Tanner
see Tanner also a Colonial Spaniel but I guess they do not know the correct term.!
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Cat Whisperer

I agree 100%! I get so irritated at people paying $800 for the same dog you can adopt at a shelter.

One of my friends made this quiz:

http://grumpybumpers.com/dogs/index.cgi

Can you tell the "purebred" from the shelter rescue?
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I got 28% I guess the hybrid or designer breeders will not be happy with me!
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

i got 42 percent
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM

I totally sucked! (14%)
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I also scored a 42.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

57%!

I'm suprised, I've never actually seen a Designer Mutt.
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM

a slightly different angle

Here's a slightly different angle for you.

I have a Yorkie-Pom cross. A mutt in otherwords, but calling her a yorkie-pom explains her appearance.

What I'm tired of is having people assume I have a "designer mutt". By that I mean, it implies I went out of my way for a cross breed, when I didn't (pomeranian breeder had an accident and was selling the mix pups for waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy less than her poms).

And I'm mad at the designer mutt people for making them popular and causing people to think, I'm some empty head, who "wanted a dog so it could fit in my purse". Grrrr.

Anyway great site. But the link for the quiz isn't working for me, is anyone else having trouble?
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Performance Spaniels

I wanted to take the quiz.. isn't working for me either.

I'm more tired of the people who call me a purebred snob.

I don't care if people own designer mutts.. I just care about bad breeders selling them with shady breeding practices, for exorbatent prices, when often you could get a purebred that you could predict a little better in some cases for far less.

I totally understand buying a mix and not knowing about the designer mutt business at all though, before I got my dog and started getting on forums I didn't have a clue about all these on purpose crosses.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Talking

I tried the link again, still not working, I tried contacting the webmaster, but its not giving me a valid email address to advise them. I guess we're s.o.l.

mafiaprincess, me either. I thought there were purebreds and crosses which defined as 2 different breed purebred parents or mutts (more than 2 breeds in their background).

Thats just the way I thought of it. I was gobsmacked when my brother in law & his girlfriend paid twice as much for a yorki-poo (from a 'distributer') as we did for Kes.

Of course they went out looking for a pup right away, probably would have gone to a pet store, but I told them not to. We were willing to wait, it was coincidence we got Kes right away.

But don't feel too left out, we're one of the only mixed breeds in the park, so purebred puppies DO exist.
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Angry You Guys Aren't Thinking About This Enough

I'm sorry but when I read these posts I kind of got upset. My boyfriend asked me if I wanted to take a ride to a pet store just to kill some time one afternoon....with no intentions of necessarily buying anything. I didn't realize they even had dogs or cats there. And they did. All I know is that I saw an adorable, sweet looking puppy so I asked the attendant to take her out so I could spend some time with her and I fell inlove with her. I asked what breed she was and was told she was a Puggle (Another hybrid being completely knocked by breeders and purebred buyers). Now YES I know a pet store is the worst place to buy a dog.....for YOU.... But it's the best thing you could do for the dog to get them out of there. Some of these places aren't much better then shelters and by buying that dog I saved her life. And I'll be the first person to admit I spent 1000$ on her. Not because she was a puggle,(I had never even heard of these dogs till I asked what her breed was) not because of any reason other then I fell inlove with her and needed to get her the hell out of that place. I immediately took her to the vet and found out that she had a bad respiratory infection and pnemonia. Had i NOT bought her for any reason (cause it was a pet store or because she was so expensive ect) the vet said she would have been dead within 3 or 4 days. I was going to use that 1000$ to buy a used car (I'm a college student and don't have extra money to throw around) and instead I saved a puppy. I don't care what breed she is or how much she cost or anything else, all I care about is that because of me she's alive and happy and healthy. If no one buys them, those puppies will die (JUST LIKE AT A SHELTER). I'm sorry but knowing you waited 6 months for your purebred and spent a thousand dollars (when someone else probably would have bought it in a minute and they were perfectly ok either way) isn't nearly as important to me as spending all the money I have to buy a sick dog to save her. Think about this from the dogs' perspective for a minute!
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM
banned user

Sorry, buying a pup out of a pet store

just isn't the best thing to a dog. You probably saved one, but you'd just sponsored another 10 puppies to be mass produced and perhaps dumped later. There are thousands if not millions of dogs in shelters waiting to be adopted, I'd get them out of euthanasia room first.

A pet store IS NOT a shelter, they work for money and money only. In a market economy, demand drives everything, so to stop the supply, you'd have to cut down the demand, which is YOU, individual buyer. Sorry if this is upsetting you, but unless people stop buying puppies from puppy stores, puppy millers will always exist.