Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old September 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Frenchy, I did go with the truth I know they will make the best choice for the dog...keeping my fingers crossed it may be me but will understand if it is not. I was just afraid I had either written too much or not enough.

My aunt tells me I am fanatical when it comes to the nutrition of my dogs, and their health. My boss laughs cause I usually have 2 or 3 new dog books in my purse at work. I just wanted the application to be as perfect as possible and I kept editing it and changing it lol. Of course, just as I get it done....my computer crashed and I lost everything!!!!!

I spent this morning redoing the application lol. I sent it in this afternoon and heard back from them this afternoon. She thanked me for my "EXCELLENT application" and said some of the volunteers are getting together to go over applications this afternoon and I should hear back within 24 hours. This is going to be the longest 24 hours of my life

BenMax, thank you for the vote of confidence in this rescue. If I am selected as a lucky person to adopt one of their dogs then I will feel very honored after reading what you have written.

Brenda
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Update: Received the contract today from SOS QC Dog Rescue. The e-mail also included phone number for contact. I immediately picked up the phone and called the volunteer I had been dealing with by e-mail. I can tell you, being a private investigator at one time, I peppered her with questions for over an hour.

I have been totally reassured and was e-mailed several references, including the local police in Alma who contact Furriere D'Alma 2007 on a regular basis to pick up strays. I have been given the vets name in Alma who the pound deals with for medical issues and also the vet here in Brampton, who also deals regularly with this particular rescue group.

I was also offered several references from adopters who have used them before.

I will follow up tomorrow and post another update.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
This is going to be the longest 24 hours of my life

I'm so excited for you !
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks Frenchy. I have been checking my email since I posted just on the off chance. I am such a loser lol. But I did get an email back from them a few minutes ago....

"We thank you for your application. A few volunteers met this afternoon and after a second review of your application and based on the information you provided we are very confident that your family would provide a great home to a rescue dog, as such your application is approved for our little guy"

:cloud 9:

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell? LOL

Brenda
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Smile

@ Frenchy,

Is your pup coming at the end of September, early October? If so, my new pup will be on the same transport. I am sending my contract over today with a copy of the money order that I need to send to the pound owner. SOS sent me references and eased my mind with regards to this adoption. Good luck with yours! I may see you at the end of the month if you pick up in Brampton.
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM

sorry, last post was for Brenda....too early to make sense today!
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Sorry Baylee's mom, I meant to respond sooner. He was supposed to be coming this morning but Josee had an emergency. There is a possibility he may come tomorrow, I am just waiting to hear back from her.

I hate waiting lol
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
-

any news bj601 ?
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Hi Frenchy,

I have been in contact with Josee daily. She is hoping to have him to me either Saturday or Sunday Of course I am hoping Saturday lol.

Brenda
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM

He's here!!!!!!!!!!!! Got him this morning, had the pleasure of meeting Josee, her dog (who travels with her that is blind and deaf), 2 of her fosters, and the sister of my little guy. Will post some pics in a bit.

Brenda
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Pics, pics, pics please

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM

I got 1 whole picture before the batteries died on my camera (well 2, but the second shows just his tail as he ran out of the picture ).

I posted the one pic in the photo section.

Brenda
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM

I checked out the pic, he is freaking adorable!!! When i got my ****zu (sp??) i named hime jake but i should have named him Dennis (as in Dennis the menace...) Now HE is a handful! But i love him to pieces.
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM

ha ha ha! i got blocked for bad spelling! shi tzu? lets try that..
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
He's here!!!!!!!!!!!! Got him this morning, had the pleasure of meeting Josee, her dog (who travels with her that is blind and deaf), 2 of her fosters, and the sister of my little guy. Will post some pics in a bit.

Brenda
woohoo congratulation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezbglad View Post
ha ha ha! i got blocked for bad spelling! shi tzu? lets try that..
yes , some bad words get *** , it's automatic. Because you wrote shizu but with a "t" after the "shi"
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:17 AM

Unhappy SOS Dog Rescue

Update on my attempted adoption.

We waited and waited and finally received notification that Sunshine was to be transported on October 17th. While we adoped her at 10 weeks, she is now 4 1/2 mths old. We were so excited and got our home ready for our new family member.

I then received a call the day of transport that she was sick and unable to be transported. Apparently a new employee at the pound had stuck a litter of new pups with her and they all became sick. I e-mailed the pound to find out Sunshine's prognosis and received no response. I was then told that the pound manager doesn't speak English and would not respond.

One of those pups has since died of Parvo. I offered to have Sunshine treated by a vet at our expense but it was refused. After going back and forth with no updates unless I requested them, SOS Dog Rescue has arbitrarily decided to send me back my deposit. I am waiting to hear from a volunteer that I spoke with twice to explain this decision.

I cannot tell you how stressful this attempted adoption has been. My daughter is heartbroken as are we all.

If anyoone is thinking about adopting from this organization, be prepared. They are not located in Brampton, Ontario. Brampton is only the drop off place. The pound is in northern Quebec north of Chicoutimee.
Once you adopt, you may have to wait as long as 2 months, if you live in Ontario as they only transport every 6-8 weeks. I would have driven there myself had the trip not been 12 hours straight driving there and then 12 hours back.

I offered to have her flown here, but that was also shot down. Everything I offered to do for Sunshine was declined.

I will post the final verdict once I know what is going on.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM

Unhappy transport from SOS Dog Rescue

Hi,

I don't know why our pup was not on the same transport. We waited and waited and finally were told we would get her on October 17th. Please see my newest post to find out the sad details and the position we are currently in.
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry you have been screwed around but at this point take your money and run. It all sounds way too slimey for my liking. I appreciate the fact that you have gone above and beyond to help this pup but they obviously are hiding something. I hope you find that pup to rescue for it will be very lucky to have an owner like you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM

Baylee's mom, I am so sorry it didn't work out for you. I know with Casey, his transport was delayed several times due to his sister being sick. She became sick after being adopted out. It was a nerve wracking wait, I couldn't imagine waiting 2 months! I was told with Casey's sister is was suspected to be giardia or coccidia. I specifically asked about parvo and was told no. I am paranoid when it comes to parvo. My old neighbor's new puppy adopted from the humane society died of parvo in late August, so it was really fresh on my mind lol.

Brenda
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Very unfortunate. The only thing I can think of is that they are very (maybe overly) cautious. Keep in mind that when people adopt from rescues, they expect almost perfection (especially medically). There have been people that have sued rescues which now in turn makes rescues very cautious, especially if they are adopting from a distance.

Personally, I would back out of this. Go to a local rescue or shelter. This way you will be located closely should anything go wrong.
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:18 PM

I've put in an application with SOS out of Alma Quebec and am hoping to be accepted by them. I have had a few emails back and forth with them and so far its been a good experience. Today I emailed them my application and got a reply back already. They told me they are meeting tomorrow and will let me know within 24 hours. So I am keeping everything crossed that we get accepted.

Susan-Marie
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I have heard a few things of late and I would be very careful. That is all I am saying because I do not want Marko mad at me.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM

In the end I may go local instead but not rescue as I've gotten a contact through a friend for a puppy. One I can get next week.
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoozeeWB View Post
In the end I may go local instead but not rescue as I've gotten a contact through a friend for a puppy. One I can get next week.
Do you have a particular breed(s) in mind? Are you in a hurry? There are plenty of puppies in rescues and shelters all over.
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

If there is a breed you are interested in let us know there are enough people who rescue here we can surely point you in the right direction. In fact my boy Clark was found right here. I did not even have to leave my computer. Always check the thread where rescues post some of the new dogs that are looking for homes.
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM

We just adopted a Min Pinscher from SOS. We picked him up yesterday, he was in a foster home in Ontario. The adoptiong process was ok, he is in good health and it only took two weeks to meet him get the paper work done etc.

He is for the most part a pretty good dog. Good on walks, not too barky, housetrained. We started working on some basic commands (sit etc). The problem we are having is he is terrorizing my cat. Whenever he sees the cat he charges him and they have a growling scratching match. My cat is a scardy cat so it's not very good. Cat is hiding in the bedroom under the table. We are going to give it a few days. SOS policy is you have 7 days, and you can return the pet for your adoption fee back. Hate to do it, love most things about this little guy but I'm not sure we can teach and old dog new tricks (he is 7 or so). I have read that this is a trait of the breed

Will let you know how it goes!
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM

SOS didn't accept us but that is okay. We are interested in either a lab/husky cross or a lab/collie cross which is what we are probably getting Thurs night. We are interested in medium or large breed dogs I don't want a small dog.

Since I don't drive I'm limited to where I get a puppy. My best friend only has a bit of time to take me anywhere so I'll probably get one the lab/collie puppies available in Elmira.

Susan-Marie
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

My best friend only has a bit of time to take me anywhere so I'll probably get one the lab/collie puppies available in Elmira.
Are these pups at a rescue because this area is rampant with Amish puppy mills. Just check before you hand over any money byb=health issues
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM

thinking about adopting

I have been researching dog adoptions in ontario endlessly for the past few weeks. I came across Fourrière D'Alma on pet finder when I found the dog of my dreams, 'DORA'. We emailed them right away, and heard back with the application soon after. I've read this entire thread and am very scared to continue with this rescue. Someone mentioned to ask all of you, many which belong to rescues to help so if you could, please do. I have my heart set on a small dog, a poodle cross exactly. Dora is an adorable shi-poo, or the yorkie- poo. I was also searching on kijiji, there are many... is this sketchy too? However, I do desperatly want a rescue dog. Also a female because I already have a female dog. If anyone hears of anything, please keep me posted!! I live in northern ontario, am willing to drive to toronto (GTA). Thank you all. Sorry to hear about all the tragic stories with Fourrière D'Alma, and good luck and be happy to all those who have success stories.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM

Want to be aware

Petlovers forum had some interesting comments as well, that never left any final verdict of whether or not they are a puppy mill or not. Obviously, I have some concerns now about dog adoption from them.

Can anyone, prove that they are a puppy mill?

Please help.