Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Iams Puppy Food

A friend of mine just got a new English Springer Spaniel puppy. Both her breeder and her vet recomended Iams puppy food. I told her that I didn't it was a very good quality, actually I said that it was "crap". She e-mailed the vet about it asking her again and this was her response:

As for the Iams. It is a good food. It was actually sold only at vets until recently. What you want to look at is a higher protein and fat content than adult dog foods (puppies are growing). I can't remember the percentages, but Iams would have it pretty close. Eukanuba is also a good food with the same background. You can buy your food from the vet, but Iams is much the same and at a lower price. All these foods will have byproduct in them. It is cooked at a high temp to kill disease. The only thing better is raw meat, but it is expensive and you have to give her a pattie of raw meat every day. Gross. Once she is about 8-10 months, switch her to Iams/Eukanuba/Pedigree adult food. Then it is a battle to keep the weight down. If she gets overweight she will have way more health problems. If you think you should, put her on a weight managment diet at that point. There are also specialty foods for dogs with health problems so you might have to look into that if something is wrong there.
The bull balls are big balls of bone, right? We call them tartar busters. They are great and they keep them occupied. Sometimes dogs can break their teeth off with bones/raw hide, but it isn't likely with the balls. Also, if you switch to another bone, make sure it doesn't break off into sharp pieces that she can swallow/cut herself with.

What is your opinion on this?