Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM

Abandonment issues with 2/3 yr old dog

We have a young terrier mix that unfortunately has also had a few homes. We know he is happy in our home and shows a lot of love to all family members when at home with him. We believe he has some abandonment issues, and rightfully so, however, it has him peeing and pooing in numerous rooms each time we leave. This could be five minutes of us out of the home or for a few hours. We are thinking about crating, but have never done that and have read mixed reviews on whether or not it is effective or appropriate. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely crate. It's very effective for potty training.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM

A year ago we adopted 2 senior italian greyhounds from a shelter in the US. The owner of the shelter had promised that the dogs would be adopted together - they were owner surrendered. That being so, these 2 precious boys spent 1 year in the shelter. They were segregated from the other dogs in the shelter since the others were all rescues from Mills with health issues etc.
One of the boys came with the same issues as yours. I have never crated them except when travelling. I found that a belly band works best for me when I have to leave for a short time and have now set up an area in my laundry room that they can use when I am not home. This is working for me about 90% of the time. It has taken a year for this little guy to allow me to cuddle him without being stiff with fear. I believe he still feels he will be given away again.
All I can offer is that you be patient as you can be. These dogs require so much more attention and love then those that have never been given up for any reason.
Good luck.
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww poor puppers. I really hate when these poor dogs keep getting rehomed. So thank you for making a real home for him.

Since he is doing this, he should not have free run of the house.

Can you block off a room like the kitchen or bathroom when you leave? And put a kong filled with treat or a nice meaty raw bone.

I'll be honest, crating may not stop him from doing this. There are chances that he will continue to do it in his crate if his issue is with abandonment. And him being crated may make the issue worse. The abandonment issues is what needs to be worked on.

Do you know why he was always brought back?

I have never crated. And unfortunately crating seems to be the answer for everything.