Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM

I would like to opologize

Im sorry if i came off as a hard *** in my post. But its just that i been batteling with this for 5 months now. YES I KNOW SHE IS A PUPPY!! But its just that like i said she has been doing so good in her box and since i gave her a little extra room she peed in her box. AND NO I DO NOT KEEP HER IN HER BOX ALL THE TIME!! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK I DO!!! I want to opologize for the words i used and the supposively sarcasm. Im just really frustrated with her. But who doesnt get frustrated with their animals while trying to house train them. I know for a fact that im not the only one thats ever gotten mad at my dog. Im human. Im not perfect. I screwed up yes i know. Im sorry. I just dont know what else to do. Ive tried all the advice that was given to me and its just not working. I messed up by giving here her space back, so shes back to her confined space i guess. I learned from that mistake.... she is such a good dog smart wise, and she hasnt peed in the house in a long time. Its just the whole peeing in box issue. WE let her out at least 2-3 times an hour. I guess im just gonna have to start setting the alarm and getting up if i have to to break her from this habit. I just dont understand why she did it when she went two months witout an accident. Again, im sorry for the way i talked on my last post. I just need help. NO im not gonna give up on her. Im just really frustrated with her. Again i just wanted to say sorry
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

Does she have bedding in her crate? And is it a metal crate or a plastic airplane vari-kennel?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Honest Contributor

jeannie, i assume your pup is 5 months old, right? at that age, they rarely can hold it overnight for more than 6 or 7 hours at a time, at that is if they have been conditioned to it. Taking your dog out 2-3 times per hour is not helping her build bladder muscles/ tolerance, it's just like any other muscle - you need to train for strength & build a habit as well.

so you stop having water available a few hours before bedtime, her diet is steady, there are no bladder infections, etc... the only advice i can offer is to help her build bladder strength during the day... and be patient. some kids are harder to toilet-train than others but they are all so worth it

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytris
Does she have bedding in her crate? And is it a metal crate or a plastic airplane vari-kennel?

I used to put an old towel in her box but she kept chewing it up so i took it out. so now she has no bedding in her box. It is a plastic one.....
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
jeannie, i assume your pup is 5 months old, right? at that age, they rarely can hold it overnight for more than 6 or 7 hours at a time, at that is if they have been conditioned to it. Taking your dog out 2-3 times per hour is not helping her build bladder muscles/ tolerance, it's just like any other muscle - you need to train for strength & build a habit as well.

so you stop having water available a few hours before bedtime, her diet is steady, there are no bladder infections, etc... the only advice i can offer is to help her build bladder strength during the day... and be patient. some kids are harder to toilet-train than others but they are all so worth it

O.K. so ur saying that i take her out too much an hour?? How many times an hour or every so many hours should i take her out???? I really really need help. Im not giving up on her. I am gonna make this work. she is a good dog.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

jeannie00, I know we've given you this advice before. I feel like we're repeating the same things to you over and over.

The very best suggestion I can give you at this point is to seek professional help for Valentine. Get a trainer for some hands-on help.. to learn techniques for housebreaking and training. Hands on help is great, and we all need it now & then.

btw, please be sure Valentine has something decent to lay on in her crate, besides hard plastic.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
I used to put an old towel in her box but she kept chewing it up so i took it out. so now she has no bedding in her box. It is a plastic one.....
I think I would put bedding back in there...even if it means you have to wash it everyday....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
-

In the daytime your dog needs to go out after she eats and after she wakes up after a nap and after any playtime. Once she pees when you take her outside, praise her and tell her she's a good girl then bring her right back in the house.

At night put her crate (and please keep an old blanket or towel in it for her to lie on) beside your bed. If you are not a light sleeper and have trouble hearing her when she needs to go out then set an alarm clock. Again after you take her out and she pees tell her she's a good girl and bring her in and back in the crate beside you. Take her out again as soon as you get up in the morning.

Do this all the time. She is only 5 months old. She will learn.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow, OP asked how many times a night the pup would need to be taken out for a pee. Is it possible to be specific or is every pup different?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
O.K. so ur saying that i take her out too much an hour?? How many times an hour or every so many hours should i take her out???? I really really need help. Im not giving up on her. I am gonna make this work. she is a good dog.
Of course you're going to make this work,and yes, we all understand your frustration, you just came off a little hard and being pet lovers all of us we got worried.

Can you tell right before actually pees that she needs to pee? If you can, start waiting for her to need to go before taking her out. At 5 months she should be able to last an hour. Keep your eye on her at all times and as soon as she starts looking for a spot, grab her leash and take her outside. Once she's started doing her business give the command you've chosen and when she's done give her a treat. It probably won't take her long to figure it out. I also agree with keeping the crate by your bed and taking her out inthe night. It might be once or twice, shouldn't be any more than that, pups don't need to pee as often when they are sleeping.

A fun way for a dog to ask for her door is to ring a parrot bell that is hung by it. (I haven't gotten to teaching my pup this but plan too soon as he just sits by the door very quietly when he needs to go out)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM

Switching to a different type of crate might help - since she's gotten into the habit of peeing on plastic, the metal tray might work.

I would also start feeding her in the crate (leave the door open if you want), as most dogs aren't as likely to eliminate where they eat.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytris
I would also start feeding her in the crate (leave the door open if you want), as most dogs aren't as likely to eliminate where they eat.
I agree. I used to not only feed Buster in his crate, but even leave the empty bowl in there all the time.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Rainbow, OP asked how many times a night the pup would need to be taken out for a pee. Is it possible to be specific or is every pup different?
At 5 months old probably only once as it should be able to hold it for 3-4 hours.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Long Term Member

You know, everyone DOES get frusterated... and like I said when I replied to your post last time- I've made mistakes too when I was trying to train my pups.
I hope everything is going well, thanks for apologizing...
Good luck
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love: