Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 27th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Kill Shelters

I heard a rumour last night that one of the shelters in my area is a kill shelter. They give the animals something like 48 hours to get adopted and that is it. How do I know if this is true and what can I do?
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I would visit the shelter and ask them politely what their policies are with regards to animals:

How many animals do they have space for?
What their mandate with the city is?
Do they have an adoption program?
Foster program?
Do they work with rescues?

From there, maybe there is a way to help them get more animals homes.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Which shelter?Arnprior and Ottawa Humane arent like that,Vankleek Hill is awful.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
-

Years ago I had an interview for a job at the bhs. One of the questions they asked me was how I thought I could deal with putting animals down. She said they can put down 80 cats per day. They come in the front door and right out the back because there is no space.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Virtually all shelters in Ontario kill animals.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

I don't know if I am allowed to say the name but it is the one in Gatineau (not Aylmer) that I heard the rumour about. I was horrified. They do have an adoption program but their prices are really cheap ($100/dog). I know that all shelters have to put animals down but Aylmer only would if it had to due to problems with the dogs (temperment, health, whatever). Well that was before it all became the city of Gatineau, I am not too sure any more.

I have also heard that Luskville is bad but I have no evidence.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Blah shelters... I never know how to feel about shelters. They've always been dreadful places to me.

Judge was on death row when we adopted him. This particular shelter is the county animal control shelter.. They also have a 48 hour kill policy. I asked why they don't list on petfinder.com and they said because the 'turn-over' is so high because of their policy that there isn't enough time to update listings. They try to foster some animals and they have adoption events and take the highly adoptable dogs out in their adoption van with good results. The adoption van was out the day we found Judge. He was left behind while his littermates were all taken to the event. No one there could tell us why he wasn't selected... but they could tell us that he was scheduled to be euthanized at 2pm that day.

Oh boy and adoption fees -- did I ever tell you guys what his adoption fee was? I was so incredibly shocked. They charge $15. Isn't that sad? Some guy there said if they made it any higher no one would get adopted. SOMEDAY I have the feeling my husband and I are going to end up heavily involved in rescue... This area certainly needs it.

Grover -- if you figure out any way that you can help up there with that shelter -- go for it!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
Virtually all shelters in Ontario kill animals.
Sad but very true.
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually HS in Oakville do not euthanize unless the animal is seriously wounded,with the result they have some cats/dogs that have been there up to 2 yrs.Also,right now they have about 150 cats :sad: