Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM

professional cat grooming

Frankie is a long haired kitty (part himalayan), and often gets her chin fur stuck in her mouth when trying to groom herself. That seems to turn her off from fully grooming herself. Is it common to get long haired cats trimmed at the groomer's like you would some dogs? If so, can anyone suggest a good groomer in the west Toronto area?

Thanks.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Yes. A lot of vets do it too, if the hair is so matted that they need sedation. I'm not from TO so I can't tell you who though...
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM

I have a cat who's part himalayan, all I do is completely shave her. I do this at least 3 times a year. Depending on their personality, they may let someone shave them or you can just try to cut the knot out.
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

Professional groomer here...

Just call a dog groomer, or "pet" groomer and they should be able to help you. If your cat is going to be severly stressed by the process (if she has that sort of personality + a new situation in a new location), then I would suggest something to help take the edge off of the stress - a tranquilizer - either vet prescribed, or "Rescue Remedy". I have never tried RR, but hear many good things about it. It's available at the drug store.

I don't like using tranqs, esp. for animals, and I have never used it on an animal I've groomed. If it will make things go more quickly and smoothly with less stress, then it's a good idea to try.

I have a dog in-house right now that the owner requested I use a tranq, but I told her that I don't do that at the present time. She was disappointed. We'll see how it goes....

Just one last thought - sometimes degraded coat quality is the first sign of something more serious. Perhaps you should get a blood screen done just to be safe... at the very least a vet appointment for a through once-over

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
--Mark Twain
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog's groomer specializes in cats and having seen her groom a very big and furry cat I can tell you it is not something I would want to do. But she is located in central Toronto - Bayview Eglinton area - not west Toronto. She is excellent.