Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Guinea pig baby

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a baby guinea pig around Christmas time. I've been promising my daughter for some time, and I am going to try and find one for her. The kind we really like I believe are the abyssinian the ones with the wild cow lick look to their hair. We aren't to fussy on colour although she does like the tortishell(orange,black). I was hoping not to buy one from a pet store but its really hard trying to find a breeder I found. Rescues usually have older ones and I was hoping to get a baby,so it could grow up knowing the kids. If you know of anyone who will have babies around that time,please let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You could contact the local OSPCA's, SPCA's and HS's to let them know you are looking for one!
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:23 PM

BMDLUVER...Thank you, thats just what I'll do.......My kids are feeling a little down since Abbey our sheltie has been missing,and my one daughters been wanting a GP for quite awhile so I thought maybe now might be a good time.
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'll mention to some of the rodent rescues that someone's looking for a baby too, just in case a litter is born here... if that is what you call a bunch of guinea pig babies... sorry, a bit rodent challenged, lol.
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you get two pigs, since they are social animals. IF you can get two at the shelter who are used to living together, that would be great, or get two babies.

They also need very large enclosures, although it needn't be high since they do not climb. Do not use cedar or pine shavings for them.
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:32 PM

I just saw this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8229 and I thought it might help here somehow...