Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:27 AM

very nice dobe

Hi, i asked a few questions once b4 and you all were so helpful and understanding, so here i go again. I just recently talked a guy into giving me his doberman pinscher, the guy started a job and just don't have anytime for the dog and he was getting more skinny every time i saw him. He was born jan.13/2003 and he is so special to me i've only had him for about 10hr now and i'm taking him to the vet but can't until the 25th. Does anyone have any ideas on what i can feed him until then like something that will make him not be so skinny i mean i dont want him to get fat but i just want him to feel better (i can see his ribs). oh and his name is danger zone (i just hope he is not in danger)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:53 AM

If he's eating well, then the same things you gave your sick puppy (boiled chicken, rice, etc.) in addition to his regular food would probably help. Also, when my puppy needed medecine and didn't like eating, homemade rice pudding saved his life! (main ingredients are rice, milk and egg). He put all the weight on that he needed and he pulled through.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Mike,if your dobe does not seem sick,feeding him good quality dog-food should be sufficient,unless you want to cook food yourself.
Don't get grocery-store food,go to a pet-food supplier and they would be able to help you find the kind of food he needs to gain weight.
Dobermans are beautiful,regal looking dogs and you did a good thing taking him on,good luck to you!!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you know why he is so thin?

If it's from being starved, then feed him small, frequent meals - 3 a day - until he gains some weight.

If he is thin because of hookworms or other parasites, he will not gain weight until the parasites are gone.

Did any vaccination papers come with him? Any proof he was tested for heartworms or has been on preventative?

Thank you for giving this poor guy a loving home! I hope you change his name to something more positive! He needs a new name to go along with his wonderful new life.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Try feeding him a different food, like Solid Gold or Eagle Pack. Make sure that the first five ingredients don't have corn in them, and chicken meal is a good thing to stay away from, too.

Just as LR said, if he has worms or other parasites in him he will not gain weight.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:51 PM

Wel i was told he has had all his shots but not sure about that he has CKC papers with his old owner's name on it i am trying to find them i have there home address so im going to write them (wish there was a phone number on it i could find out more faster) I dont know much about papers is it true they had to have there shots to get the papers Any way i gave him liquid wormer because he dont look sick just skinny and the bottle says repeat it the next day should i or just wait to go see the vet first? He still wont eat his food but he will eat the chicken and rice he loves it i have checked his poo and yesterday there was white speaks in it but today it is normal with no speaks is that good? He playes alot and is so friendly and just loves my big yard he can fly thanks all just got 3 more days to take him to vet oh do you know if the vet will know some how if he has had his shots and i think its odd he has no rabie tags
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesstarbright
Wel i was told he has had all his shots but not sure about that he has CKC papers with his old owner's name on it i am trying to find them i have there home address so im going to write them (wish there was a phone number on it i could find out more faster) I dont know much about papers is it true they had to have there shots to get the papers Any way i gave him liquid wormer because he dont look sick just skinny and the bottle says repeat it the next day should i or just wait to go see the vet first? He still wont eat his food but he will eat the chicken and rice he loves it i have checked his poo and yesterday there was white speaks in it but today it is normal with no speaks is that good? He playes alot and is so friendly and just loves my big yard he can fly thanks all just got 3 more days to take him to vet oh do you know if the vet will know some how if he has had his shots and i think its odd he has no rabie tags

Can you not ask the vet to fit you in sooner? Or try another vet? The not knowing is awful!

I would insist they see the dog sooner, as you are worried about it.

We use to have a doberman when first married. We also dogsit one for a friend. I love dobies!

Heather
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you giving him over the counter worm medicine or worm medicine from the vet?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Don't give him ANYTHING other then food until you see a vet and get him there as quickly as possible. If he is full of parasites he needs to go on specific anti parasitic meds.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM

ok i am going to call another vet and i will let you all know thanks
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:28 PM

ps it was over the counter
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
it was over the counter
Never do that. You don't know what is wrong with him and you may be medicating him for nothing, or you may make whatever he has worse. It's a waste of money and won't help the dog if he has hookworms.

Can you get a record of his shots from his former owner?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM

Im writing the first owner i found out today that this guy traided another guy for him the poor thing im sure he is so confused with where his real home is, the last guy said they told him he has had the proper shots but im not satisfied with that so all i can do is write a letter to the first owner and hopefully they will call me, im taking him to the vet in the morning im praying he will be fine. IM trying to add a pic but says to lrg how do i make it smaller?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

OH the poor guy!!

You can resize your pics if you use something like Irfanview.

If you can't figure it out, send the pic to me and I will post it. I LOVE Dobies!

Email
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Take the dog to the vet and take a stool sample in a sterile container.

Feed the dog frequently but smaller amounts. Poor thing, people are just awful. I'd hold off on unnecessary vaccinations UNTIL this dog gets better.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:31 PM

thanks i hope the next pic i send he will be a lot better oh and now i call him dobe but he wont come to me on that name but he will get used to it i will writ soon with more pic
Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG he is emaciated!!!Whoever did this should be reported for this cruelty and not allowed to get away with it!!

I'm not clear on if you are keeping him permanently?

Can't wait for a pic of him sleek and sassy looking!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh dear that poor baby

Thank you for saving him from this jerk and YES you MUST report the person who did this to him. I think you said he now has another dog?

Please for the sake of other dogs in danger report this person.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:04 AM

No he dont have anymore and i told him that if he ever gets another i will report him he was SHOCKED when i said that he swore to me he wouldnt because he has a job now he is still a teen and im sure he knows i ment buisness but im keeping my eyes on him and yes i will have dobe until he goes to heaven oh and i got a phone number to the first owner wish me luck
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:18 AM

Hi well soon on my way to the vet, i talked with the first owners of dobe they say he has had all his puppy shots and i even have his old vet (its my vet ) So things are looking up. Now i have another problem how do i get dobe and my boston terriers to get along they saw each other threw mmy glass door and wanted to fight(im not letting them be close to him till the vet says ok i dont want them to get sick) so when things are good so how can i get them to get along im inclosing pictures of my bostons checking dobe out threw the window and the little one is misty she is the one that made it threw parvo well i will write soon as i get home today thanks all.
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You're doing great

Keep us informed!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, you are truly doing a wonderful thing by helping this dog!

For introducing him to your dogs, you need to do this on neutral ground.

Get a friend to take the Dobie to a park and you take your own dogs. Let them get aquainted there, since there is no territory for your dogs to guard.

Just take it slow, and let them go at their own pace. Hopefully it will work out fine!!

Please let us know what the vet says.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:25 PM

Well good news from the vet dobe is going to be fine the vet hasnt seen him for a year and he weigh 20lb less now so ive got some work to do he wanted me to feed him a product that they have there cant remember the name but the first ing. was corn See i remember Spoiled lol i ask for some others he would recamend and he told me some but i think im heading toward the solid gold maybe
but for now they said dont rush him to eat he told me to do chicken and rice the first few days But he will eat anything on site if he sees it. and he has alot of hot spots on him from fly bites the vet put some meds on it and they gave him a iv said he was a little dehydrated but im just happy he will be fine now. My hubby made a bad move this morning he brought dobe threw the house to get to the back to bath him and now he sits at my door and crys to come in Oh my
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So you're keeping him OUTSIDE?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

yes i have no choice to, i have dogs inside to protect, he has a very nice place to be in and has shelter and a big thick blanket to lay on. am i wrong to have him there He is an out side dog please let me know
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Perhaps you can contact a dobie rescue for some assistance.

http://www.dogsaver.org/doberman/wv.htm

edited to add

I sent an email to someone I know that does dobie rescue in Canada and I'm waiting for a response. I'll let u know what she says.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:20 PM

Ok, before you said im doing great and now you think im not. Thanks for your time and answers. God bless you all
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think what you're doing is great yes. But there could be a better alternative to keeping the dog outside...such as a rescue.

I'm not saying what you're doing is horrible but with this dogs condition, being so sickly like that and being outside...it's being exposed to more dangers through insects and weather.

I know you're doing your best. Do you want to keep this dog or just make sure it gets to a good home?

Pls don't think for a minute I consider your time and effort as useless, you have been doing great by this dog, okay
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Do you plan on bringing the dog into the house once you introduce him to your other dogs?

What you are doing for him is much better than leaving him where he was. I am sure he (and you) would prefer to be inside, who wouldn't? He really needs to be close to people and feel loved right now. Is there a room you can maybe put him in, away from the other dogs?

What IF your dogs don't ever get along with him?

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM

Good point Goldenmom i was so happy about saveing him i never sat and wonderd about that I have never had a big dog inside my home, but yes i will keep him in a lrg room i have and see how that works out but with dobe getting along with my other 2 we will have to wait and see if not AFTER he is better he will be living out side, not to be mean but just wondering why is it so bad to have an out side dog? IF ITS NOT SICK i understand when he is sick he needs to be in with me but not to much as haveing an out side dog