Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's a bit overwhelming at moments... I've never seen anything like this and I hope I never see it again.
:sad: I can imagine :sad: and having the other 7 to take care of.

The bananas are also great to sneak the pills in it. I'm hoping she will get a good night sleep and this will have healed a bit more by tomorrow morning.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
We were having trouble getting her to drink until later today. She's peed only twice since yesterday morning. She's more interested in drinking now that her lips seem a little better. No problem getting my girl to eat, though! Like mother, like daughter.
If her food doesn't contain citric acid then add lots of water to her kibble. That's the good thing with "piggie" dogs, you can always get them to take their meds and to clean their bowls .
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thanks, breeze... Ridge's poor nose needs all the help and it can get!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
If her food doesn't contain citric acid then add lots of water to her kibble. That's the good thing with "piggie" dogs, you can always get them to take their meds and to clean their bowls .
That's a good idea I'll try that if she decides she doesn't want to drink again tomorrow. I added a little pumpkin to her food tonight, too--she's not moving around much and that means she's having trouble poopin', too. Ridge has always needed a little regular exercise to stay regular.... We'll see what the pumpkin does for her!

I added about a tablespoon to her kibble--does that sound like enough?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
:sad: I can imagine :sad: and having the other 7 to take care of.

The bananas are also great to sneak the pills in it. I'm hoping she will get a good night sleep and this will have healed a bit more by tomorrow morning.
I'd settle for a big crack and another layer of viscous blood--the area that did that Tuesday night is looking so much better... I sure wish the infection in the rest of the area would drain like that

Old January 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for a good night's sleep for both of you. Poor baby, poor you!
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'd probably start with a tablespoon and increase from there if she needs it.

Quote:
I sure wish the infection in the rest of the area would drain like that
We hope so too .
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

thanks, 14+. I just want my baby better!

Old January 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I'd probably start with a tablespoon and increase from there if she needs it.
I remembered right, then? WoooooHooooo! I thought I'd have trouble getting her to eat it, but she thought it was wonderful to get something special that none of the rest of the Pack got. They were all jealous!

Does it work suddenly, or will it work overnight and help her to go tomorrow? In other words, should I have my coat and boots ready for a sudden trip out tonight?

Old January 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Live well, laugh often

It should just help her overnight. I used it with Lucy when she was having some issues on TO food and it didn't really affect the timing, it just helped move it out a bit easier. You might want to consider giving her one more spoonful just before you go to bed.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never had any "sudden" reactions with pumpkin... and I've fed quite a bit more than a tablespoon. It seems to be a rather gentle solution

Were you able to get some probiotics? otherwise break out the yogurt too (of course you know that).

good healing vibes for poor Ridge and for Hazel.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
thanks, 14+. I just want my baby better!
I hear that. I hate it when my babies are sick. none of the kittens have been sick yet. I will say an extra prayer for Ridge.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad to hear that pumpkin is a quality, not a quantity, sort of fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Were you able to get some probiotics? otherwise break out the yogurt too (of course you know that).

good healing vibes for poor Ridge and for Hazel.
They get yogurt every morning--and we've been doubling up with Ridge (both meals), but I didn't mix it with the pumpkin. I can though, can't I?

hubby is going to get some probiotics tomorrow while he's in town. That'll give us a day to prime her intestine in case we switch to Cephalexin over the weekend.

Thanks for the good vibes, guys... All that psychic healing energy has to be doing some good!

Old January 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Molly seemed to think yogurt and pumpkin mixed was pretty good... she got that for about two weeks when I first had her (cause of soft poops). And even better with some kind of gravy like substance. Kinda grosses me out the combined smell of yogurt, pumpkin and meat but Molly says (don't forget the warm water to help the smells mix better and waft more)

My vet seems to give Cephlahexin as the first choice for everything... i'm thinking I will have him rethink that option next time, sounds like it's not the best place to start
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
-

Yes, you can give her both yogurt and pumpkin at the same time.

She won't poop very much since she is not getting any exercise. I wouldn't expect her to poop 'any' more than once a day.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Even at the best of times, she wasn't much of a pooper! Once a day would be great--she hasn't gone since Tuesday morning first thing.

otter--cephalexin is a great choice for a lot of breeds, but our English setters have all had trouble with it. Our labs and springers have tolerated it much better. It's a great drug for a lot of things if you can stomach it. I've had it a few times and have managed 14 days with no problem

For English Setters erythromicin seems to be even worse! hazel agrees with them on this one! Got sicker from the erythro than I was from the pneumonia!

Old January 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

for good poop and a good night of healing (hopefully not interrupted by poop)
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Addicted to puppy

Hazel, so sorry to hear about Ridge's troubles. I have been MIA for a while studying for my nursing boards. I do have one suggestion for you. I have taken an interest in wound care and the solution we ALWAYS use to clean wounds, even very infected, complicated ones is normal saline. It has the same tonicity as the human body and is the most effective cleansing agent. We have it in large bottles but your vet would also have it in IV solution bags. Since it is such a complicated infected wound you may want to consider this.
Either soak sterile gauze in warmed saline solution and gently pat (for compresses), or pour over to clean off excess drainage. I know it is tough for you to get to the vets, but you may even check a local pharmacy. Hope it helps

for you and Ridge

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:53 AM

More & top of the head for Ridge

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM
-

More from the Rainbow House too.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy View Post
Hazel, so sorry to hear about Ridge's troubles. I have been MIA for a while studying for my nursing boards. I do have one suggestion for you. I have taken an interest in wound care and the solution we ALWAYS use to clean wounds, even very infected, complicated ones is normal saline. It has the same tonicity as the human body and is the most effective cleansing agent. We have it in large bottles but your vet would also have it in IV solution bags. Since it is such a complicated infected wound you may want to consider this.
Either soak sterile gauze in warmed saline solution and gently pat (for compresses), or pour over to clean off excess drainage. I know it is tough for you to get to the vets, but you may even check a local pharmacy. Hope it helps

for you and Ridge
We do have a couple of big bottles of saline on hand It comes in so handy for so many things. I never thought of it for the compresses! How warm? Body temp? Room temp? It might help draw the infection better, too! Thanks, shredy!

POOP UPDATE: It was beautiful! Big but beautiful! That pumpkin is a marvel!

Ridge seems to be resting easier today. Although her nose still looks like a burnt marshmallow that had to be blown out because it got too close to the campfire, I think there is a little improvement. The swelling looks like it's gone down a bit (but hazel has a very good imagination...so I may just be delusional ) Still, there does seem to be more of the flat black crust and less of the swollen red... Maybe we won't need to go to the Cephalexin after all!

Oh, and Ridge is enjoying all the extra kissies and s she's getting from all of you. When this is all over, her head is going to be the size of TX!

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Remembering Lukka

Sending speedy recovery to you Ridge. Hurry and get better
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Three more icky (but better, I hope) pictures...

Thanks, Lukka'sma! that I really am seeing improvement today. I think I am...

What do you guys think?

These first two are from yesterday morning ( that I have enough baud rate to upload them...I've already been disconnected twice in the middle of the upload ) It was right after the a.m. warm compress. The light pink areas are infection about to break open and drain (they're actually whiter in real life):

Name:  folliculitis 11 1-10-08 a.m.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  23.5 KB Name:  folliculitis 12 1-10-08 a.m.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  27.3 KB

This one is from just a bit ago. Also after the compress.

Name:  folliculitis 13 1-11-08 a.m.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  88.4 KB

I've been told that the black crusty stuff is healing. Does it seem to you that there's lots more of it today than yesterday?

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

WoooHoooo! It finally uploaded!

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Half Way To Crazy

It looks better to me....
the swelling is down, and it looks like there are more black spots..

I'm hoping that my eyes are not deciving me..
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I saved the pictures and then enlargen them.. and to me it looks alot better..

more scabs,
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A not so icky picture :D

And, because Ridge is getting a little self-conscious about her owie nose being looked at, warm-compressed, and filmed so much, I told her I'd post a pretty picture of her today. Here's one of her in July looking very lovely, with a healthy nose :

Name:  LadyRidge on 7-10-07.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  26.2 KB

There's my lovely girl...

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
It looks better to me....
the swelling is down, and it looks like there are more black spots..

I'm hoping that my eyes are not deciving me..
I hope mine aren't, too!

But there is a lot more black, fewer puffy oozy spots, and she seems more comfortable! So I'm really hoping that all the from the board are doing some good!

Old January 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Addicted to puppy

Quote:
We do have a couple of big bottles of saline on hand It comes in so handy for so many things. I never thought of it for the compresses! How warm? Body temp? Room temp? It might help draw the infection better, too! Thanks, shredy!
With warm compresses what you generally are doing is trying to open up all the blood vessels around the area to promote healing, the warmth also will help to break loose any dead tissue and draw out more drainage. Be very aware if the drainage looks yellow or green or has a foul odor. As for the temperature: you want it as warm as you would want on your skin. Pat gently after you have had the compress on long enough to moisten the tissue to try to remove dead tissue, but DO NOT scrub because you can take off granulation (new healing) tissue. I wouldn't warm up the whole bottle, but only what you plan to use. Keep things as sterile as possible to prevent a secondary infection. Anything you use to clean the wound shouldn't leave any lint, sterile gauze is the best.

The saline is excellent to use for cleaning too, unless your vet has prescribed an antibiotic solution or something like it, use saline to clean the wound. NO HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!! it break down new tissue as well as old tissue. Since you want the wound to dry out leaving it open to air is probably best. I hope this helps!

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, shredy.

I've been using bleached tight-knit smooth flannel compresses with warm water only, holding it over the area until cool, pat lightly, then warm up the compress with more clean water. She'll only put up with about 4 of those, then it seems to get too sore. So instead of doing it twice daily for 5 mins each time, I've been doing it three times daily for about 3 mins each time.

I'll start with saline her next round...

Is that why I always fester with hydrogen peroxide? I never use it for anything unless I need to clean blood out of fur near a new slash to assess the damage. Used it a couple of times a few weeks ago when status-struggles by the newbies resulted in some shredded ear flaps. pftuiiiiii! But now I'm glad I don't use it regularly to clean wounds!

The vet told us to keep it open-air, too.

Does it look better to you today, or is that just my imagination?