Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old August 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM

17 year old main coon (male)

Hello everyone,

I have a main coon male cat of 17 years old. Recently I went to the vet because he started vomitting 4 or 5 times a week, mainly directly after he ate his morning breakfast. After taken a bloodtest it seemed his kidneys did not work properly anymore. For the rest of his life he has to take 1 pil of fortekor every day.

I have given him this pil for a month now and it really seems to work. He only vomitted a few times and he also seems very hungry all the time. Because he is very skinny I give him all the food he wants any time of the day.

But now, instead of vommitting he developed a very loud miauwing habit, sometimes even in the middle of the night. It sounds like MRIAAAUUUWWWW MRIAAAUUUWWWW MRIAAAUUUWWWW !!!!! and he repeates that a couple of times. I really donot know if he has any pain or what is the matter with him. The vet has never heard of it. And he says it has nothing to do with the pils for his kidneydecease.

Is there anyone who has the same problem with his/her cat? Every time he does this I am very shocked because it happens so unexpectedly.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Has your cat had his T4 levels tested lately? Yowling at night can be one of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. So can weight loss despite a hefty appetite. I would get that tested as soon as you can.

Many senior cats also develop varying degrees of dementia as they age, just like people do. Perhaps leaving a night light on for him would help, or calling out to him when he's crying.

What are you feeding him by the way?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest checking his hearing too. They tend to talk louder because they can't hear themselves sometimes. Our old girl YOWLS and drives us nuts. It's a combination of dementia and hearing loss. She can walk right past us and YOWL. When we yell at her she'll turn around in surprise as if to say, "there you are. I was all alone and I was lonely." It's very sad.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM

His T4 levels have been tested before they found out that he had a problem with his kidneys and the levels were good. I feed him only sensitive food of royal canin because of the vomitting. He also gets a spoon of milk every morning because he likes that so much. Thanks for your suggestions by the way.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:50 AM

It seems to me that my cat has indeed the same problem as yours. I shall go to the vet for testing his hearing. I never noticed that this was deteriorating. And it is indeed very sad. The cat probably does not know what's happening to him.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by floortje View Post
His T4 levels have been tested before they found out that he had a problem with his kidneys and the levels were good.
How long ago was that?

Quote:
I feed him only sensitive food of royal canin because of the vomitting.
What was he eating before when he was vomiting?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM

main coon cat

The T4 test was about a month ago. And he is eating this special food for 2 month now.
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM

The T4 needs to be retested since you now have the cat on meds for the kidneys. Kidney issues often hide Thyroid issues and they only surface again once the kidneys are controlled.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And he is eating this special food for 2 month now.
But what was he eating before you changed him to that, when he had the vomiting issues? (dry? canned? brand? flavour?)

Old August 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM

main coon

He was eating only dry food, also from Royal Canin, for sterelised cats and it is a miracle that he was eating that at all. In general he is very difficult with eating. He does not like meat, fish and likes very much sweet things (cakes, cookies, custard, pudding, cream). In his youth his owners had probably given him sweet porridge so as a kitten his taste has been ruined. When I took him home I remember having difficulties with feeding him. But when he became too hungry he finally decided to eat the dry food I gave him.
If I need new pils for kidneyfailure I will have him tested again for T4.
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He was eating only dry food, also from Royal Canin, for sterelised cats and it is a miracle that he was eating that at all.
Ah-ha! What I'm trying to get at is whether he really needs to be on the Sensitive Royal Canin formula (is it dry or wet?). There isn't anything magical about prescription foods, and in fact all of them have very poor quality ingredients. Likely just switching your cat to a better quality WET food would have helped with the vomiting, and now that he has renal issues, it's even more important that he be eating high quality protein with high moisture content. There is no vet food that fits the bill. Not sure what you have available where you live, but here in North America some of the better commercial foods are Wellness, Nature's Variety, By Nature, Weruva, Addiction, Merrick, Ziwipeak, Eagle Pack, Precise, Evangers.....