Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Possible behavioural issues..

I just got a new puppy - he is a husky X (not sure what the father is) and is 9 weeks old. He has had no interaction with humans what-so-ever and is very aggressive, and not in a playful way. I have never seen a puppy so mean. I am looking into finding a professional to help me before he develops behavioural problems beyond my control. My question here is, what can I do to get him on the right path until I find the right trainer?
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:46 PM

when you say 'aggressive' can you be more specific -- in what situations, what does the puppy do exactly, what is the other person doing, any trends that you notice in the puppy's reactions/behaviours. Also, how long have you had the puppy and seen this behaviour and has the puppy been seen by a vet?

aggression is a very general term that can mean many things and its important to understand what exactly is happening in order to give advice...

but in the meantime google 'NILIF' and 'umbilical training' first one means 'nothing in life is free' and establishes an understanding for the dog that he/she have to earn all priviliges. and the second is where you ensure that the puppy never has free reign of the room/ area without supervision and has you 'connected' to the puppy at all times, therefore always being aware of what they are doing and being able to correct the behaviours as they happen. I found these two very helpful.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Today is my 3rd day with him. My cousin also has a male from the litter. By aggressive I mean he bites, but not in a chewy playful way, in a mean way. He also growls and shows teeth out of no where and scratches and claws as if he's being attacked or meaning to hurt you. I might not be describing it in the best way, I know puppies are playful and need to be taught right from wrong but this dog just seems to have so much aggression.
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM

The window of opportunity to socialize a puppy begins to close around 12 weeks old. No human interaction for the first 9 of that means you need to do a lot of work, and fast. Get yourself a private instructor to help out and try to join a puppy play group that is run by a trainer experienced with poorly socialized puppies. Hopefully you will find someone sympathetic to the urgency of your problem and have both set up by tuesday.

Some individuals of the husky breeds can have a very aggressive nature; however 9 weeks old any breed should be a happy-go-lucky kid.

If you have not had a vet check done yet, try to get that as soon as possible, too. Being sick can make a dog very grumpy, even if it is not in their nature during normal circumstances. A variety of health issues could, with no easily noticeable physical symptoms, be causing part or all of the problem. And if that is the case your attempts to socialize and train will not be successful until your puppy is healthy.
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Some individuals of the husky breeds can have a very aggressive nature; however 9 weeks old any breed should be a happy-go-lucky kid.
, any breed can be aggressive given the right conditions.

If you have not had a vet check done yet, try to get that as soon as possible, too. Being sick can make a dog very grumpy, even if it is not in their nature during normal circumstances. A variety of health issues could, with no easily noticeable physical symptoms, be causing part or all of the problem. And if that is the case your attempts to socialize and train will not be successful until your puppy is healthy.
I agree, it can be very possible for a physical health issue to be causing aggressiveness.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I have dealt with some narly puppies that I fostered and there is alot of work ahead to curb certain behaviours. That said, the pup is young and with the right guidance it can be overcome.
As others said, the most important thing to do is bring to a vet. I also suggest BIG TIME de-worming. Worms can cause behaviours such as aggression. Sounds nuts...but I have learnt through a husky rescue the reality of this. To see is to believe....and now I am a believer.
Once the vetting is done and he is cleared, I highly suggest puppy classes to help him interact appropriately in a group setting with various dogs and people as well. I am not sure if I would go with a private trainer as this does not expose the pup to a social setting. Once these classes are completed, and if you need more one on one, only then would I go private.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM

He has been seen by a vet and is in good health. He has also been de-wormed, and although he did infact have worms, his aggression level hasn't gone down any. We have been working with him lots, walking everyday so he isn't bored. He is also very smart. He's learned to sit, lay, and come. We are now working on stay. What else can I do?
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM

I think you should take up some of the other advice people have mentioned here - puppy classes are a must for any new dog owner. Please sign your little pup and attend classes together where you will bond and learn very valuable information. If you go with a reputable place, they may give you advice on what to work on with your pup at home to help with his behaviour.

Also, please check out the following:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
http://www.dogguide.net/nilif.php

http://www.dogtipsdaily.com/umbilica...s-respect.html

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."