Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 10th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Luba...LR...somebody!

It's about Charley, the BC mix who needs a home. I have been chatting with the owners all week learning as much as I can about this beautiful girl because we wanted to adopt her. I thought it would be good for Murphy to have a campanion, a slightly older friend, to play with and learn. I also thought it would be good for my hubby as he needs to get out to walk every day and Murphy isn't quite at the stage where my hubby can walk him yet. Ok, ok, long story short... we are supposed to go and see Charley tomorrow and today our dog trainer said that this was not a good idea!! UUGHHH!!

Now what. I really trust this trainer's opinion and he was very straightforward about why we shouldn't...Murohy's too young for a campanion, two BC's is a little much unless you have a farm, Murphy's training will be hurt by it as he says my time will be cut short and it will be VERY hectic with both of them.

Now I don't know what to think. Any advice? I feel just horrible. I have this awful lump in my throat and my stomach is all in knots.

Is the trainer right ( you would think he knows better than me, right) ? What do I tell the family?

Help!?!
Murph's Mom
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Cat Lover

I'll only relate my own personal experiences with "double dogs". My Katie( BC) was almost two when I added Roger(Dobie) to the household. I was training CD level obed. at the time and worked both dogs together. Yes it was more work than one dog for sure but personally I found that once pecking order was established among the dogs there were few behaviour problems. I understand however that two BC's is alot of energy to have around although a Dobie is no easy going type either..love to work, work, work. Eventually I had to decide to concentrate on one at a time as far as obed work for competition was concerned yes....but I found that both dogs benefitted as far as home behaviours went. Better down stays with built in distractions! Just my humble opinion here and definitely I think the right thing is what's most comfortable for you. BTW still have double dogs...some of us never learn I guess
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope RDM pipes in here, as I am no expert on BCs!

I can't remember how old Murph is, but he's a little puppy, right? As such, he will probably focus on the new dog more than on you, so you will have to separate them to continue your training with him.

People often get a second dog as company for the first one,not realizing that two dogs is a great deal more work than 1! I actually think it's more than twice the work.

Charley is an older (and calmer?) female and she might be a good influence on Murph and may be able to teach him manners, and surely if they can play together the exercise will be a bonus to both. I'm sure you're planning to take Murph to meet her first, right?

IF you have the time and the physical/emotional energy to properly train, exercise and give attention to two dogs - one them them a young puppy who needs a great deal of attention and training - maybe seperately for awhile, til Murph matures, then go for it.

Yes, it will be very hectic with two non-couch potato dogs who need stimulation and jobs to do, but it really depends on the individual and their capabilities. It wouldn't be something I would do, but you may just be the kind of person who will enjoy it.
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Thanks marielle and LR!

Murphy is 5 months old now and aside from not being a couch potato he is everything we have hoped for and more. He is learning very quickly and aside form testing the ranks now and then we have no trouble. The meeting tomorrow morning with Charley's family was to let Murph and Charley meet, as well as see if we liked her. She is spayed, 18 months old and definitely calmer from what the family says.

I know two dogs will be more work. I don't think I'm kidding myself but I do have two young children and a husband with a disability.

Murph's Mom
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Murph Smurf

(deep breath)

Your trainer is probably saying this because they want you to devote all your training time to Murphy.

I see it this way, Charley is over much of the puppy stage and is probably calmer then Murphy. You will be able to tell straight off!

I suggest YOU meet Charley on your own first. Let Murphy stay in the car for just even five minutes with your hubby. No big deal right!

Go introduce yourself to Charley, you will see her natural excited behaviour when being intro'd to new people.

Now then you want the two doggies to meet right. Seeing that it is so cold outside you're probably gonna have to compromise. With how much time they spend outside together.

Murphy could probably 'learn' a lot from Charley. Two dogs is more fun (as wAggie could tell you) They tire eachother out through playing chase etc...

When Honey (my foster, now wAggie's dog) was first intro'd to Chocolate (her new brother) they went absolutely bonkers for eachother. It was 'right off the bat' they liked one another. Play play play and chase me chase me in the back yard. They ran so fast and hard drank about 6 bowls of water, and I knew they were right for eachother.

You have a bit of a drive to go tomorrow
Do yourself a favour and take some treats with you to give to Charley (he'll like you right away then!)

I dont' think you have anything to worry about. If the dogs get along there, they will at your place too.

I don't see a problem at all!!

You HAVE to let me know how this goes tomorrow. I'm so excited I was thinkin of asking u to pick me up on your way by so I can go with you LMFHO!

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Murph's Mom
but I do have two young children and a husband with a disability.
Hmm....may I speak frankly? You can always tell me to mind my own business, but since you're asking opinions..

You better think long and hard about this. Personally, I think with all the other demands on your time and energy, it may be a mistake to bring another dog home at this point.

If you really want another dog, I would wait til Murph is much older, trained and completely reliable.

If you spread yourself too thin, someone or something is going to suffer, and it very well may be you.
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

(Luba thinking about that now too)

Good point!

BUT I think it would depend on what the disability is, correct and whether she's finding it stressful NOW. If yes then I'd say hold off on the new doggie!

Yet, it's all up to you..see what you can deal with and cope with. If you think this will enrich your life or not murph smurf!
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Opinions are what I asked for so problem here!

I knew I could count on you great ladies here - thanks so much for helping me wrestle through this. I didn't really have anyone else to talk about this whose opinion would cary any weight.

I also posted to the BC board hoping RDM would respond and she did - YEAH! All of you are so good to me! Her advice...wait. Murphy and I could use a little more time together before we introduce another dog. A second is fine just wait until Murphy is older and his training is well under way. She also mentioned that most animals given up due to "allergies" are actually due to behaviour problems that an owner isn't willing to work out.

My husbands' disability is his heart. He will need a transplant in the future and right now I am husband, wife, mother and father so perhaps adding another BC ( one with possible behaviour trouble) to the mix was asking for trouble!

Well, I think thanks to you all I will actually get some sleep tonight and perhaps dream of the perfect companion for Murphy ... next year.
Murph's Mom
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:26 AM

*edit to post*

That should read "Opinions are what I asked for so NO problem here!"

And I think Murph Smurf is growing on me!!!
Murph's Mom
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

((Hugs)) MurphSmurf tough decision but I think u've made the right one in light of ur current situation.

Dont' worry Charley will find a lovely home
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I am trying not to sound stupid Reading all these posts of good advice,I cannot figure out what kind of dog you are talking about,BC? what is it short for?
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:23 AM

No stupid questions here chico2! I am still trying to learn all the short forms. BC stands for Border Collie.
Murph's Mom