Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Angry There are no bad breeds- just bad owners

I have been in rescuce work for about 50 years and I have never met a bad dog based on it's breed. I have met some who were bred into existence with features that were less than desirable but there is no bad breed-Period.
What I see are bad owners. You show me a mean dog and if we could talk with the dog we could find out what turned him into what he is exhibiting. People call dogs "bad" but in fact what they are seeing is the result of learned responses to bad owners and / or from bad conditions.
Humans make more mistakes than they are willing to accept responsibility for. Bad pets come from bad owners. A lot of people get married that shouldn't and a lot of people get pets that shouldn't.
It all goes back to the people making bad choices and decisions and this often leads to bad actions such as mistreatment or abandoment. I would rescue animals over helping people any day. We can make decisions for ourselves the problem is we also make them for our pets and when those decisions are made for the wrong reasons - the pet suffers and then we blame the pet.
Truth be told ( and keep religion out of it-please) there are a lot more people that should be put to sleep than animals.
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Yep!

As someone who's owned a "bad breed" since 1987, I have to agree.
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Well written,well said Woodbyter
How's the doggies paw?
As it goes,people most of the time can help themselves but animals are at the mercy of owners bad or good,not able to help themselves,suffering in silence until someone like you and others will give them a helping hand and heart. Salute!!!!!!
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG - I agree with every word!

Small example of NO bad dogs and just bad owners:

Yesterday at our Pet Fair, a huge greyhound lunged without warning, and nipped a small dog passing by. The owner of the small dog picked him up, and the greyhound leaped up and nipped the little dog again.

Bad dog? Not at all - he was very sweet and gentle, but obviously predatory which is common in the breed.

The owner was standing in a group talking and allowing his dog to range at the end of a long leash behind his back.

The owner of the small dog was the only person upset, and others seemed to find it amusing.

What if my pit bull had done that? Different reaction from observers, I will wager.
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A M E N

Thank you for this post

It's so very true and those of us who know it realize how very authentic this is.
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Now if only we could get the court system to agree. Judging a dog on its breed is like judging a person by their race or color.... Maybe the more good stories we can get out about Pits and Rotties, banning would cease becoming such a threat. P.S Lucky Rescue, if your pit would have done that, I'm sure you would have hit the news. "ANOTHER VICIOUS PITBULL ATTACKS". I know what you mean my friend, its just plain BULL- ****!!
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Amen!!! Brick has 2 parts BAD BREED, possibly 3....and he is the sweetest, most lovable pooch on the planet!!

While at an off leash area a blood hound bit a guy when he threw a frisbee for his dog .......where were the news reporters then????? BAH!!! I agree with you Chany, its BULLsh!T!!!!

On a funny note, we went to the petstore yesterday, and they always give Brick a treat at the counter......he jumped UP onto the counter this time to get his treat!! It's like 4 feet high...OMG it was too funny!! He is such a total character!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Greyhounds

I may catch some heat on what I am about to say but once again there are no bad breeds however that is not a blanket license for an owner to put a dog in a situation where it's inbred instincts might kick in. Greyhounds are bred and raced to catch little furry things and small doggies will nicely substitute for an absent rabbit. Again I blame the owner for the lapse in judgement concerning his Greyhound. Greyhound owner totally responsible-if it had lunged at my 6 # poodle Greyhound owner would have had protest lodged with him. The law is straight- keep your dog under control. And I would not find it an amusing situation that a large Greyhound snapped once at my dog and again at me holding said dog. Not dog's fault-OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Woodbyter
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well said. And some breeds just carry more responsibility than others.

Two years ago I was at the Rennaisance Festival with Cooper, who was being very polite & minding his own business when someone with an out of control cranky Cocker nearly had his arm pulled off when the Cocker went ballistic at Cooper, right in his face. And Coop was still young - a little over a year - and he lunged back. Not right, but I really couldn't blame him (though he did get a swift correction!)

Anyhow the dude with the Cocker is dragging his dog away, still barking and frothing at the mouth. Cooper has settled back down & is on a sit next to me when a security guy comes up and asks me if "my dog is always this aggressive."

Humph. Meanwhile the Cocker is still pitching a fit & MY dog is being a good boy again.

However I have probably been back to the Ren Fest (it's close to our house every year & I go a number of times) a dozen times or more, and Cooper has learned to be much more of a gentleman when out of control dogs get in his face. He wears his glittery fairy wings and has a wonderful time.
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Ren Festival & Dogs

We go several times a year also in Holly Michigan.
I carry my Toy Poodle in her own POOCH POUCH. Sort of a doggie Handbag. She rides on her own pillow and looks out the top at the world going by. No dog can get to her except through me and that isn't going to happen.
I am not sure letting dogs into the Ren Fest is a good idea since like everything else- in moderation it is OK but when every Dude and Doll brings in whatever they call a pet and show proof it is up to date with it's shots and has a license. That's where the trouble starts. Most years they have Greyhound rescue there and they are paraded about and well behaved. Then Joe Block Head slows up with a dog on a chain - has a license and starts wandering about using his dog as an extension of his lacking manhood. Poor dog usually acts better than his master who has a few brewskies at the beer bar and wanders around belching and farting as his dog is dragged around in the heat. Final word do it right-take water for the dogs and rest them and remember the dust there is a lot closer to their nose than yours.......
Woodbyter......"Dogs have rights"
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey are you in Michigan? We should meet up at the Ren Fest! There's another member here (LavenderRott) from White Lake, we're buds.

I hear you about all the dogs there...though I've rarely seen any problems. Cooper has his doggy backpack (I attach his wings to it) and he carries his own water in it. Plus he likes to hang out in the little fountain they have there and let people come over & say awwww and pet him. He really enjoys events like that. And I don't swill beer or fart (much.)

The only dog I've seen there that I thought shouldn't be was a little puppy - Rottie pup, actually. That place is just way too overwhelming for a small puppy, never mind the risk to an pup not done with its shots.
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:31 AM

Talking Michigan MEMBER

Yes, I live Somewhat North of Imlay City and considerably south of Bad Axe and my office is in the Federal Building in Detroit on Michigan Ave. I travel up and down 53 and all the cross roads between it an 75. Thanks to the "orange barrel derby" each Spring I get to see a lot of the state just coming and going to work..LOL
Woodbyter